• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

30-06 reloading issue

bmacconaghy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2013
Seattle, wa
I've been reloading for a very short time, and after much reading I decided to rethink my 30-06 for long range. So I got some lapua brass and 200gr berger hybrid bullets and 4350 powder and set out to develop a long range load for my rifle. I've been using federal brass and 168gr berger classic hunting bullets and re-17 for my current set up. I thought the higher BC of the 200gr was going to be worth the trouble...

I found out that there are more than one 4350 powders, and I got the one that very few people seem to use Accurate 4350. My Lee reloading manual says that a 30-06 with a 200gr bullet will operate with AA4350 from 49.5gr (2261 fps) to 55gr (2569 fps). I was going to load up a string of cartridges in ascending charge weight to test for pressure signs, but when I loaded 54gr the load turns out to be compressed. I should note that I set the bullet to .015" off the lans to start with. It seems like I should be able to at least get 54gr in there, right? Maybe I need to look at the secant ogive bullets which might be able to extend a bit farther and give me some more case volume...

My question: does Lapua brass develop more pressure with less powder? Or do I need to use a double based powder like re-17 to fit enough powder in to achieve optimum velocity? Is AA4350 a waste of time?

Thanks for your insight.

Lapua is thicker brass. Thicker brass is less volume, higher pressure. I have never tried AA4350 in anything, but use H4350 in my 30-06 with 208 Amax.

Not recommending anything... but I also use it (H4350) in a 338-06 with 225 and 250 grain bullets and both loads are compressed with no over-pressure.

Compressed is okay...except when it results in higher pressure, or the compression is so great that the bullet creeps forward out of the case resulting in varying OAL and accuracy problems. You really need to check the OAL after the bulleted cartridge sits around for a while and see if it creeps.

Wow. I've never heard of a bullet creeping out over time! I don't want to use a compressed load; I would rather switch powders. I'm glad to hear that the 06 can handle the 208 amax. May I ask, what kind of MV do you achieve and with what length of barrel?

I like the 338-06 very much. I was thinking about having my rifle rebarreled for that to use the berger 250gr 338 elite hunting bullets. They have some very high BC's!

FNP is correct, bullets do creep on compressed loads. A mild crimp solved that on one of my loads.

For the 30-06 I'm getting just under 2700 fps on a 24" barrel. Sorry - can't be more exact, just don't feel like digging out my data book right now.

I wouldn't give up a 30-06 for a 338-06 unless you have more than one 30-06. If you really want a 338-06, just buy another rifle. It is a good Stevens 200 project to determine if you like it or not. Just My .02 anyway.

IMR4350 in .308 or 30.06 are usually compressed loads with less than maximum pressures.

I remember pulling a shell from the shell holder and sitting it in the tray to grab another one and seat a bullet in it only to find that previous one "growing" taller than the rest as I seated the bullet in the next one. It stopped me dead in my tracks for a couple of seconds till I realized what was happening.

The problem with truly compressed loads is that they often crush powder grains, leading to inconsistent ignition, especially over time as the "fine" from the breaking eventually settles to the bottom of however the case is stored. On the other hand, using a drop tube (24") will often solve this problem. It often will allow you to load to 95%+ load density, but w/o actually having to force the bullet into the powder. I would sweat MV too much; the goal is accuracy, right? If I need more mv because of the range I'm shooting, it's time to go to the .300 mag. Even though my primary rifle is a .30-06 right now, I realize that it is kind of the jack-of-all-trades, but master of none. I know this is blasphemy to 06 fans, but if you can afford it, it's better to have two rifles that do their job perfectly, than one that is adequate. IMO.

IMR4350 in .308 or 30.06 are usually compressed loads with less than maximum pressures.

I remember pulling a shell from the shell holder and sitting it in the tray to grab another one and seat a bullet in it only to find that previous one "growing" taller than the rest as I seated the bullet in the next one. It stopped me dead in my tracks for a couple of seconds till I realized what was happening.

I'm getting two stories here... Is it possible to get to max pressure with 4350? I know the goal is accuracy, but if the powder won't let you get to a higher accuracy node then it seems best to abandon that power for one with more velocity potential... I guess my concern is that the lapua brass is hamstringing me.

Tap the case on the bench after you dump the powder in. That will settle it a bit, and you might not be compressed any more. Drop tubes also help with this, although I have no idea why. A little compression is ok, but if you're not getting the velocity/accuracy you need then you need to try another powder.

When I use RL22 in my '06 I have to tap the case on the bench to get it to settle. I'm loading 60 grains and it's a compressed load but it shoots decent. I have tried H4350 with promising results but I have not had a chance to check at distance yet. I have never heard in outstanding accolades with AA4350 but H and IMR seem to get several glowing reports. I would try another powder if you can find it...