• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 rifle build??

S

sno-man

I was wondering if there was any reason why i never really see and rifles on here that are built in the 30-06 cal.??? is it that bad out to 1k?

Re: 30-06 rifle build??

There's actually a number of us shooting the 30-06.

Typical performance from 26" barrels is 208/210s at 2800 fps, 190s at 2900 fps, 155s at 3150 fps.

I cut mine back to 22", launches 208s at 2700 fps. That makes it to 1K in 28 moa, with over 1600 fps retained velocity and 1200 ft-lbs of thump.

I having a custom 30-06 built by Patriot Arms - it will be my whitetail hammer.

I'm waiting for mine to be shipped from Cactus Weapons, Bruce has been helping me with everything.....so i'm eagerly anticpating the call from my FFL

If you only had one rifle......The 30-06 was my ONLY scoped hunting rifle for over twenty years. The 30-06 is one of the most versatile non-magnum 30 cals, especially if you want to hunt with heavier bullets. If you handload it can perform like a .308, or it can perform like a 300WM. Most people like the short action, buy factory ammo, and don't push the heavies, so they stick with .308. But people with experience know that that most of time they just don't need a belted magnum.

I have an old Remingon Springfield M1903A3 - It'll shoot out to 1000 yards if I set it up with some good optics, OR the original iron sights....and that is a project of mine....

I'm kind of old school as well- I can download to 150gr deer loads or upload to 180/200 gr Elk loads...

Very good round..the 06 went away because of the 7.62 Nato...but it's far more effective, just more costly for anybody but snipers - uses more power, and in a machine gun performance gain is not that substantial.....

But have read stories of 1200 yard shots in Vietnam with the M70 30-06..

I am doing a build on one as well. I just got my setup for reloading and I think its coming together well. Once I get some handloads though I think it will be a tack driver. Thats with the fatory remington barrel. Like the others said, due to the military using the 7.62 nato the 06 faded out to mainly a hunting round. In WWII and Vietnam sniping was fathered by the 06 by US sharpshooters. Carlos Hathcock made some legendary shots with his M40. However in competition I beleived he used the 300WM. Ballisticly you can get the same and even exceed the .308/7.62, and push magnum performance. I found quickly to get max potential reloading the 06 is needed, factory loads are hard to find in match grade. Best round so far is the American Eagle FMJBT 150gr. My stick like that one.
Once funds make reloading more available to me I plan to use the 155 Scenars and 175 SMKs see which one comes out better.

if i could only have one, it would be a 30-06.

ive a 30-06 thats been my main stay hunting rifle for the last 15 years, its wearing its 4th shot out barrel and has had over 12000rds through it. ive taken deer and hogs from 3ft to 620m with it. ive even shot a few hares and magpies at 300+m with it.

Today when i hunt its probably as much of a PR excersize as a hunting trip so usualy something jazzy and odd gets taken along. but like i said, if i could have only 1, it would be the good old -06.

Pete

I've been driving the 06 for about 20+ years in a hunting rifle and aquired the itch for a custom gun. I've never been much on the little bullet going REALY REALY fast concept and I already had a custom 300WM that is gathering dust. With posts from Montana Marine and USSR it was an easy push to go with the 06 when one became available. I drive 210 Bergers and 208 AMAXES well into the 1300+ range at 2800fps. Longer barrel life, less cost per round to reload, not as much recoil, less BS when reloading as any belted magnum. Not much to not like.

Besides, it's fun to show up at the range and get phoo phoo'd by all the tacticool guys. Then smoke check thier a$$ as far back as they care to go
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I just got my M70 Build from Mike Lau last week.

Pre 64 Winchester 70
30-06
Unertl Scope
Worth every penny as well as the wait.

It's a tack driver at 300 yrds, can't wait to take it to 1000

HPIM0579.jpg

well the reason i ask is i have 3 06's in the safe that are rem 700 and i was think about having rock creek make me a barrel for on but im not sure on the twist or the length that i would need... i have a 1903 that has a little custom work done to in and i have taken it to 700 yards without a 20moa base and a old redfeild scope and federal factory ammo... was just looking for some input

1/10 twist, 26" is a good place to start if you're not sure.

I started with 26", cut it back to 22" after a few years. Lost 100 fps, gained balance/handling. I like the tradeoff.

My 1/10 twist shoots everything from 110gr VMax up to 240gr Matchkings very well.

30-06 top, at 22" bbl + brake.
Img_9106.jpg

got a sporter 1903, a 1903a4 clone, and a 700 (m24-ish "flavor")in .30-06, looking to add a fourth in the near future.

go 1-10 on the barrel for sure, that's best for .30 cal IMHO...

My next build is looking to finish up at 22-23" as my obermeyer blank is a shorter than normal one. 1-10, 5r, chromoly, 22" is what I have, FWIW.

The sporter '03 is cut to 21" and the bbl ported, it's a fine hunting rifle, works excellent. No "appreciable" loss in velocity to make a difference in lethality.

Good looking rifles Shane, the pattern matches that East-shore vegetation pretty well! What caliber is the short action. Jeff.

I love the "odd-six", I have a M1903A4 & M1D that I shoot quite often. I'm currently building a M24 Long Action chambered for '06, with a 24" barrel. Plus I'm also making it a "quick" change barrel for a 20" 7.62 barrel. Best of both worlds.

sno-man,
My Patriot Arms 30-06 sounds something like you are looking for, here's the recipe:

- Rem 700 action - trued and squared
- Spiral fluted bolt, PAI tactical bolt knob
- PAI oversized recoil lug
- Rock Creek 5R barrel = #3 contour, 1-11.25" twist, finished at 24", recessed crown
-McMillan Sako Hunter stock = standard fill wt., Woodland camo, 14" LOP, pillar/skim bedded
-Rem 700 factory bottom metal
-Rem old style trigger tuned to 2.5#
-Near Mfg 10 MOA base and 30 mm rings
-All metal cerakoted in matte black

It will be topped with a Schmidt&Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42mm scope.

It should be ready in a month or so (hopefully!!)

My 30/06 hunting stick

Bat machine action
McMillian Classic stock
24" #5 contour barrel
Jewell trigger
Talleys with Zeiss Conquest scope
Built by Dave Tooley
bat_06.jpg

Sir Speedy,
How does it shoot? Very very nice!

MontanaMarine,
At what point, in your experience, does the barrel in the 06 become too long? The reason I ask is I have a factory tune up job done by GAP that I really want to send back for a barrel change with a Bartlien #3 contour @ 28". The length is not an issue to me and I SWAG that with the lighter contour the balance won't be bad at all. What say you, Sir?

Barrel length preference is fairly subjective.

I like the 22" in the field, but could easily like 28-30" on a rifle is designated more for range use, or setting up not too far from the truck.

My only question on a 28" #3 is if it might not be rigid enough considering length/contour. Probably not an issue, but I'd want some input from those who've been there/done that.

Bartlien's website lists the #3 as a Heavy Sporter .670 muzzle @ 26" and 3.5 lbs. Maybe too light? The Light Palma is listed as .750 muzzle @ 30" and 4.5 lbs.

Maybe the light palma would be a better choice with a 28" ish barrel considering the taper was designed for longer barrels?

You can't beat an '06 for versatility [IMO].
Fairly easy to find ammo most anywhere if needed...wide selection of bullet weights for anything on this continent...and a lot of good history behind it.

I can't recall the name of the book or author at preset but there was a guy years ago that hunted just about everything on this continent from small to Alaskan griz with THE SAME 30-06 rifle. GREAT read.IIRC it may have been called something like
"one man , one rifle"

Beware the man with only one gun!

FWIW
Wes in AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir Speedy,
How does it shoot? Very very nice!
</div></div>

Its a shooter. Have some 208Gr AMax coming to try MM loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Carlos Hathcock made some legendary shots with his M40. However in competition I beleived he used the 300WM. </div></div>

Accually, in the book .....you'll find that Carlos Hathcock started with a Winchester M70 in 30-06.
Excellant round.

Pop

I am doing the same project as you guys, building an '06..starting with a r700 action, I have a HS stock. What barrel do you guys recommend, and anyone who will do the build well and at a reasonable cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Carlos Hathcock made some legendary shots with his M40. However in competition I beleived he used the 300WM. </div></div>

Accually, in the book .....you'll find that Carlos Hathcock started with a Winchester M70 in 30-06.
Excellant round.

Pop </div></div>

Correct and he used a .300 Holland & Holland Magnum to win the Wimbledon Cup not the .300 Winchester Magnum.

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chef3381</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my M70 Build from Mike Lau last week.

Pre 64 Winchester 70
30-06
Unertl Scope
Worth every penny as well as the wait.

It's a tack driver at 300 yrds, can't wait to take it to 1000

HPIM0579.jpg
</div></div>

Chef,
I would really like to see some more pics of your rifle. I really like the retro look that the Unertl adds to that rifle! What power is it?

I have been halfassed looking for a Redfield 3200 for a Anshutz 64 I have. Damn thing came with the scope blocks so whats a man supposed to do? Oh well, it's only money
smirk.gif

DHD,
first lets talk about the SC Low Country, I'm out of Murrels Inlet. Where exactly are you.
Shit I miss those cyprus swamps of socastee as a back yard and the salt marsh for a front yard.

The Unertl is a 14 power. I was looking for an 8 to keep it real and all. But the 14 is great at the range. clear enough to spot my shots (.30 Cal) at 300 yrds no problem.

If I get a chance in the morning I'll take some more pics.

Chef

Hello from the south west of france to all of you
smile.gif

I was wondering if I was the only one on earth wanting to build a sniper rifle based on a rem 700 LA and barrel it in 30-06.

I was adviced to used a 24 or 23 inches barrel with a 1-11.25 twist.

If you don't mind I would love to receive pics of your guns and results on target. email on private message.
I beleive 30-06 may be very interesting for 1000 to 1400 meters. But every where I read 308 or 308 or 6,5mm calibers. I love so much to shoot my garand that I would love to have an accurate bolt action in 06. Without having to use a 300WM and suffer recoil on every training.

Pierre

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlien's website lists the #3 as a Heavy Sporter .670 muzzle @ 26" and 3.5 lbs. Maybe too light? The Light Palma is listed as .750 muzzle @ 30" and 4.5 lbs.

Maybe the light palma would be a better choice with a 28" ish barrel considering the taper was designed for longer barrels?</div></div>

Personally, I wouldn't go lighter than .850" or thereabouts at the muzzle. My 26" Krieger MTU contour is .930" at the muzzle, and my 26" FN SPR barrel is .875" at the muzzle, which I consider d@mn near perfect.

Don

Wonder what the 40X's barrel is at the muzzle with it's 27.?". I don't need 28" but well, I must be compensating for something. My Highwall has a 32" octagonal 1.1" @ muzzle, and my Hepburn has a 31" octagonal 1.1" @ muzzle. Yeah, front heavy rifles don't bother me so much. On the sane side though, I think .8" would be plenty for me. Will I gain enough with the extra 2" over a 26" you think?

Thanks USSR and MM.

Chef,
I sent a PM. I like to shrimp almost as shoot. Been up your way a few times, but mainly shrimp around Beaufort and Hilton Head. After tossing a net for 4-6 hours, I don't want to drive too far. Critters like to get in front of me in the wee hours of the morn ya know. I, no shit, hit a mallard duck one time driving back on 278. Busted my lens. Who would have ever thunk it?.
grin.gif
I just shook my head and drove on.

Man I miss that chunk of the world,
3 throws of a cast net would get me 10lbs of shrimp, we would pull blue crab all day, Gig flounder on the sand bar and pull oysters off of the mud at low tide.
I think I was in my early teens the first time I tasted McDonalds, and I thought it tasted like shit.

Chef

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chef,
I sent a PM. I like to shrimp almost as shoot. Been up your way a few times, but mainly shrimp around Beaufort and Hilton Head. After tossing a net for 4-6 hours, I don't want to drive too far. Critters like to get in front of me in the wee hours of the morn ya know. I, no shit, hit a mallard duck one time driving back on 278. Busted my lens. Who would have ever thunk it?.
grin.gif
I just shook my head and drove on. </div></div>

If you want to shoot sometime or meet at Hemingway's, shoot me a PM. My wife and I are always looking for someone to shoot with.

As for the topic, I've been thinking about a 30-06 to shoot 155's. Could be very versatile.

go with a #5.5 or heavier. Rem varmint is a good choice, this is the remington factory heavy contour. Sendero is slightly larger, IIRC. m24/m40 or MTU contour is also a good choice. I just got an obermeyer #7 a few months ago for my '06, which is going to get put on in the next month or so, since I am now rebuilding that rifle. It is roughly the same as the m24 contour.

I think that the Rem Varmit would be the heaviest that I would want. A few ozs either way is no biggee as I am not trying to make weight.

USMARINE1108,
I'll shoot you a PM. Small world ain't it?

Chef,
The shrimping has not been so good the last couple of years. But there is always this year..........

Sorry for the hijack all, but I do love the 06 and need to get a barrel. Say a Bartlien 1-10, Light Palma, fluted (ha, gonna get that weight down after all), 28"ish. 4-6 month wait will get me where I need to be after all the scope purchases.

Sounds like a winner. If you want it sooner, check with George at GAP, he keeps quite a few barrels on hand I think.

I will NEVER discount the .30-06! I just hope I can take as much game one shot bang flop the second half of my life as I have up to year 51! Trying to buy,build a Win mod 70 Carlos Hathcock bean patch deer slayer as next LAST Win project!
m70man.jpg

wm_973178-1.jpg

Hey Brad,
Who do you think trued the action, pillar bedded it, and put the big ol' BO knob on it
wink.gif
? As long as GAP's waiting list is still around 6 months or so, I am good. Hell, I still got the box they shipped it back to me in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am doing a build on one as well. I just got my setup for reloading and I think its coming together well. Once I get some handloads though I think it will be a tack driver. Thats with the fatory remington barrel. Like the others said, due to the military using the 7.62 nato the 06 faded out to mainly a hunting round. In WWII and Vietnam sniping was fathered by the 06 by US sharpshooters. Carlos Hathcock made some legendary shots with his M40. However in competition I beleived he used the 300WM. Ballisticly you can get the same and even exceed the .308/7.62, and push magnum performance. I found quickly to get max potential reloading the 06 is needed, factory loads are hard to find in match grade. Best round so far is the American Eagle FMJBT 150gr. My stick like that one.
Once funds make reloading more available to me I plan to use the 155 Scenars and 175 SMKs see which one comes out better. </div></div> Ive run across Fed GM match in both 168 & 175smk's,If the cattle biz was not in the shitter Id buy a case of each! Ive been bang floping whiteails with Fed 165 BT's since they came out in 90's I want to try the 155's as well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlien's website lists the #3 as a Heavy Sporter .670 muzzle @ 26" and 3.5 lbs. Maybe too light? The Light Palma is listed as .750 muzzle @ 30" and 4.5 lbs.

Maybe the light palma would be a better choice with a 28" ish barrel considering the taper was designed for longer barrels?

</div></div> Im going with a Bartlien,24" 1-12 or 1in 11.25 Winchester target contour, it worked for ole Carlos!

I hope this pic. comes out bigger, I've been haveing a hard time resizing some of my photos with photobucket.

HPIM0579.jpg

What I paid.
I got the scope, 14x Unertl 1.25 inch Combo (The USMC used the same but in 8x) for $900. (I sold a springfield 1911 gov. .45 for the funds) I sent the scope to Mike Lau at TBA, He built the rifle from a pre-64 action that he had, black anodized my scope rings, put it all together and shipped it to me for $2,200. (I sold an HK-91 to raise the funds for that part).

If you send him your winchester and the scope it will not cost as much.
Check out his website, he has a lot of options on how he can do this build. trade ins and whatnot.

I can say that dealing with Mike was 1+, I spoke with him on a weekly basis for the last couple of months of the work.

and the rifle is outstsnding. In my opinion, if you want a rifle that you will be proud to own and shoot, this is the one.

When I take it to the range it gets a lot of curious looks and attention, but from time to time an old timer who knows what he is looking at sees it and you should see the look in there eyes.

I like shooting a rifle that is more accurate than I will ever be. If a round hits more than .5MOA from my POA I know that I need work.

Thanks for your interest.
Chef

Chef,
I'll tell you that is one damn fine rifle. What barrel is it? I don't remember if you said the twist/taper. I like stainless and composite, but I love walnut and blue! I know the feeling about having to jettison some stuff for more stuff. I went on watch binge a while back, and well.......

Cattle Buyer,
I like the Bang Flop concept. Got a kick out of remembering one I shot in tall weeds with my son beside me. First thing he said after the boom was "where did he go Daddy, I didn't see him run"? The shot was a good one so I had no real worries, but he was just gone. He was Bang Flopped I now know
grin.gif
! I was shooting a 300 SAUM with 150 Accubonds <span style="text-decoration: underline">fast</span>. Kind of a hot 30-06 ya know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Brad,
Who do you think trued the action, pillar bedded it, and put the big ol' BO knob on it
wink.gif
? As long as GAP's waiting list is still around 6 months or so, I am good. Hell, I still got the box they shipped it back to me in. </div></div>

Guess that takes care of all the loose ends then. You should have a fine tack driver when it's all said and done, especially with GAP holding all the sharp tools, and doing the work, lol.

I made a special order for a Savage 110FP in 30-06 just over a year ago. It's not a problem to get this rifle shooting less than 1/2" at 100 yards and I've taken it out to 1000 yards. I'm currently working on some heavier bullets to see how well they shoot in my rifle.

There's just something about a 30-06 that nothing else has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Carlos Hathcock made some legendary shots with his M40. However in competition I beleived he used the 300WM. </div></div>

Excellant round.

Pop </div></div>

Correct and he was quoted as saying he preferred the Winchester over the Remington....In fact I believe Chuck Mawhinney also did.

I've been considering doing a custom build on a model 70 I have....

All my customs are on a the M70 action.....

I did a 30-06 AI just to get a bit more velocity out of it.

My barrel specs from my PACNOR
Stainless Steel SuperMatch barrel
1/10 twist
#5 Contour
24”
11 degree crown
6 Flutes