• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Tactical Match projectile?

Onemoretime

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm looking for a good bullet for tactical comps. I know a lot of the .308 guys use 155's. I figure with the 06's case advantage I can use a heavier bullet and get simular drop numbers with better wind fighting abilities.

I was thinking of using the Lapua 170 Lock base or the Lapua 185 D46.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Has anyone used these? Any other recommendations?</span>

Obviously, the 208 Amax would be great but I'm looking for a little more speed so I can afford a little error in range estimation. Am I wrong?

Re: 30-06 Tactical Match projectile?

Gotchya... I was thinking that since a lot of .308 shooters are using the 155's that a 30-06 would be better with a 170-185 grain bullet.

I guess I will get a bunch of 208's.

I believe that when you start hitting 3K fps your barrel life begins to significantly shorten. I "could" drive 155's, 168's 175's etc. at or above 3K but prefer not to.

You then get into the whole weight vs speed argument for drop and wind. I use my airplane analogy "An F-16 goes twice as fast as a C-5 but which one needs a 5 mile runway to stop?" I want mass down range to ring steel or move dirt (if I miss).

If all I ever wanted to do was punch a hole in a piece of paper from 1K and in I'd drive a 6CX. Every now and again I kill sh!t so I like my target and my "business" loads to be one in the same.

Cheers,

Doc

I haven't tried them in a match yet but I'm driving Lapua 155's @ 3230fps out of an '06: 54.3gr H4895 w/ a COAL of 3.316

It was 23.5MOA (3.0MOA left)to 1K last Sunday in 97F weather. Hits on R/H are from the .30-06. L/H are from my .308.

1ktarget.JPG

And your not seeing all the misses......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that when you start hitting 3K fps your barrel life begins to significantly shorten. I "could" drive 155's, 168's 175's etc. at or above 3K but prefer not to.

You then get into the whole weight vs speed argument for drop and wind. I use my airplane analogy "An F-16 goes twice as fast as a C-5 but which one needs a 5 mile runway to stop?" I want mass down range to ring steel or move dirt (if I miss).

If all I ever wanted to do was punch a hole in a piece of paper from 1K and in I'd drive a 6CX. Every now and again I kill sh!t so I like my target and my "business" loads to be one in the same.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Makes a lot of sense.... and I do love the sound of that steel.

I like the 208. The 155 will give you more allowance for range error, but the 208 fights wind better.

My 22.5" launches the 208 AMax at 2720 fps, and the 155 Scenar at 3030 fps.

Both bullets shoot fairly well.
3006208AMax100yds.jpg

Img_7864.jpg

I'll probably try them both.

I think I'm a bit better at wind then range.

178 Amax with RL-22 or H4350 will get you right at 3k fps.

What barrel length are you running? I worked up a load for my 26" at 2885fps with the 208's.

Kicks like crazy though

I've got a 25" (from the lug) 1-10 twist Bartlein.

Has anyone tried RL-25, I have a bunch and was thinking about trying some.

As I remember I think Doc7xxxx tried RL-25 and said there was too much air space to get his SD and ES really cinched down for a very long range load.

It will certainly work, in the reloading depot sub forum I think there are some loads for it.

Hmmmm, I'll have to search for them... I remember Doc saying that very thing about the RL-17

NOS 165 BT or Accu-Bond, match or hunt.

BC .475

H4350 max 57.5gr 2870fps, 31-32MOA at 1Kyd, 1288fps.

RL-22 max 63.0gr 3000fps, 28MOA at 1Kyd, 1372fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, I'll have to search for them... I remember Doc saying that very thing about the RL-17 </div></div>

Maybe my memory is failing me, you may be right.

I am pretty sure that it is in one of the 2 two 30-06 threads in the reloading depot.

I've played around a little with RE-17 and the 30-06.
This is the load for 208's I'm working with now. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">300 yd</span></span>

DSC_0402.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've played around a little with RE-17 and the 30-06.
This is the load for 208's I'm working with now. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">300 yd</span></span>

DSC_0402.jpg
</div></div>

How long is your barrel? Velocity looks good for the small charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that say "2.664" COAL?

Maybe to the ogive? </div></div>

wrong acronym. Yes, to the ogive w/ the Stoney Point gauge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've played around a little with RE-17 and the 30-06.

</div></div>

How long is your barrel? Velocity looks good for the small charge. </div></div>

26" Rock Creek 5R 11.25

I've settled on the 208amax. I can safely get it into the mid 2700's with either RL17 or H4350.

I've found that in my rifle 155 scenars and the 208 Amax shoot to the same POI at 100 yards so I just put the dope for the 155's on one side of the stock and the 208's on the other. The 155 is a really flat shooter but the 208 does better in the wind.... good combo.