• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-30 Chambering Problem

SalomonQST99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2020
I started to reload some 30-30. After full length sizing, the cases will case gauge just fine, but when I put the formed case into the 30-30 MXLR, the bolt won't go fully closed. I can see that the case sits flush in the barrel throat, but the lever won't close fully (~1/4" or so). The lever will fully close with factory ammo so it's not a gun problem AFAIK. I did compare the formed case to a factory round to the spec, and I'm not seeing much difference.

I’d bet your cases need trimmed , especially if your full length sizing new brass or brass with multiple firings on it

Reactions: BullGear
Did you look at both ends of the gauge with the round inserted? The bottom indicates if your headspace is within tolerance, the top indicates if the case length is in tolerance. Don't want to come across as condescending if you already knew that, just jumping on what nagantguy said.

I’d bet your cases need trimmed , especially if your full length sizing new brass or brass with multiple firings on it

Cases have been trimmed but they could be trimmed back by another 0.001. Here's my hand load measurements vs the spec vs a manufactured round. I don't have a way yet to measure shoulder set back, but this being a rimmed cartridge I wouldn't think that would matter a ton.
30-30 Reloading Measurements.jpg

Did you look at both ends of the gauge with the round inserted? The bottom indicates if your headspace is within tolerance, the top indicates if the case length is in tolerance. Don't want to come across as condescending if you already knew that, just jumping on what nagantguy said.

I'm asking for some help and I appreciate any and all suggestions as long as they are somewhat constructive. Your comments are definitely constructive.

The Hornady case gauge that I have measures 2.301 end to end which is longer than the case specification but shorter than the full bullet specification. So it's a case gauge, but doesn't tell me a whole lot about case length.

I had the same issue with a Winchester 94. Its been a long time since I set up 3030 dies but as I recall -

As you know there is usually about .010inch difference between what the manual says the case length is vs the trim-to length. I had to go with trim-to length to close the lever. Also had to bump the shoulder back as far as the sizer die would allow. And I mean a hard cam over! Good luck.

Reactions: SalomonQST99