• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-338 WM

jetmd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2010
Smithville, MO
Ok, so I have been out of the loop for years....but is anyone still shooting 30-338WM?

Back 25 years ago when I was shooting NRA HP I used this at 1000yds with very good results (for that era)

Is this caliber now dead?

Please forgive my lack of current knowledge.

Re: 30-338 WM

You see them occasionally, though not as popular as they once were. If you have one I would shoot it. In my localized area I am seeing a real shift to calibers like .243, 6XC, 6.5 X 284, .284, 7 SAUM and 7 WSM then are shooting .30 cal magnums for 600 yard matches.

Good luck

Jerry

Great cartridge, I have a couple of NRA prone rifles I shoot when not shooting my Palma rifles. I shoot the 300 win mag also.

You can even neck up the 7mm RM to form the 30-338. I was going to build a rifle in that cartridge and through some research, found that it can about equal the 300 WM but with a bit less powder with the modern powders we have now.

I like mine... have both necked down 338 and necked up 7mm more than I will ever use.

Am still looking for good load data not the easiest data to find

I still have some of my old load data from back in the day.

If you would like that info, I would be happy to share. You can use it at your own risk....

I'm currently shooting the 30-338 WM and absolutetly love it. It will do everything a 300 WM will do but more efficiently with seemingly better accuracy and less powder.

I've tried several bullet weights through it but have settled on the 208 AMAX at just under 3000 fps in necked down 338 Win Mag brass.

I believe the Sierra manual still carries load data for thde old 30-338, at least in the older manuals I have at home (not there now) but aside from that can't recall any other sources of data. I believe the data is for the version of the 30-338 used by the AMU years ago.

I think I have a set of RCBS dies for the 30-338 that have never been out of the box. I always wanted one(years ago), but never bought one. If anybody needs the dies let me know, I will make you a great deal. They are probably 15 years old or older, but have never been out of the box.

I know my old Sierra manual has data for the round. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McLarenRoss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt this the same as 308 Norma? I have an old set of dies for that and when I looked up the cartridge thats what it seemed like. </div></div>

Not so fast its a different cartridge.......... Norma brass is a tad longer.