• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-375R and 375CT at 1450Y

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Almost ELR,LOL

I was out testing loads at 100 and 200 yards a couple months ago and ran in to a guy named Scot.We shot together for a while and talked guns of course.Turns out he's a regular hunting type guy and only shoots at 200 yards once in while.

Next day I went out to do some more testing and there's Scot again.I offered to let him take a few pops out of my 6mmART at 300 and 400 yards with my Horus Vision scope using holdovers in the grid reticule.He thought that was pretty cool.He'd never shot that far before.I thought to myself,yep he's getting that long range bug.

So I got to telling him about some of my long range rifles and the extreme distances I shoot.LOL,He kind of looked at me like I was doing some major BSing.I just chuckled to myself and told him to give me a call next time he was going to be in town and I'd take him out LR shooting.

Well,he called last week and asked if I'd help him get a zero for his pre 64,Winchester M70,25-06 hunting rifle at 500 and 600 yards.So we went out last Saturday and got him some dope for 500 and 600.Now he'd shot 3 times the distance he'd ever shot before he met me.Bad influence,I am.Yep

After repainting the steel we drove out to the dirt road at approximately 1450 yards.He's looking at the steel way out there mighty intimidated.LOL.Gotta start him out close ya know.Wanted him to hit the target and all.

Got out the 375CT first and in short order banged the steel a few times,then let him shoot.Wind was picking up so I told him to aim at the left edge of the steel and he was banging the steel one after the other.

Next I got out the 30-375 Ruger which shoots 240 SMK's at 2700fps(old load).I was on target after 3 shots but the wind was increasing in velocity almost for every shot at this point.So I gave the gun to him and he did darn good.I had to tell him how far out he needed to aim to hit the steel and he hit it about half the time.He was aiming 3-4 times the width of the plate.On the 30 cal I have a Horus Vision 8-26 Predator scope and we used line 49 make the hits.I hadn't used the HV system that far myself.I used to have a Leupold mounted before and was using clicks previously.

The steel is 28" wide and 21" tall.See how the small strikes with the 375CT using 330gr Lehigh's are copper colored.Then the big splats are from the 30cal 240's.

Steve

DSC00178.jpg

Earlier this week he called about what kind of LR scope to get for his 25-06.I'm afraid he's ruined for life.LOL

Re: 30-375R and 375CT at 1450Y

He's screwed now. Better get a divorce, sell his cars and trucks. Time for brass, bullets, and CH4D. Way to go Steve keep making converts to the slippery slope.
smile.gif

Yep... as Mechanic said, "He's screwed".

We just ended a 4 day class, and today we were dialing (after computations) about 27 feet of windage at 2200 yds. Guys were banging away though. Good stuff. I got "screwed" many moons ago.
djd

Thanks Guys for responding.Gives me some encouragement.

That's funny,djd,27 feet of windage.The challenges involved with ELR is what is so intriguing about shooting at those distances.

It's always fun to share the sport.

Steve

One of the guys just bought and took home, a new Leica Vector IV (I always try to keep a few on hand).

He wanted me to sign an NDA swearing that I would never tell his wife of his purchase. Slightly joking on the NDA, but I did have to give my word to him. I have personally done this same thing myself, so I comply easily with fellow ELR shooters.

djd

djd,

I know I could tell a few stories of (shneakems).Translated,means hide from wifey at all costs.LOL
How far can you range with a Leica Vector IV?

How much $?

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How far can you range with a Leica Vector IV?

How much $?

</div></div>

+1

I have been admiring the 408 round for some time but don't think I would ever drop the kind of cash Cheytac wants for a gun. I know a company called Lawton does the actions but are there any recommendations to a different caliber and also a builder for these ELR weapons. I looked around a bit but most builders don't promote these weapons.

Lawton make a great product (and in fact, they are who makes barrels for Chey Tac. If you are going that direction, I would recomend you check out the 375/408 CheyTac. It pretty much does everything the 408 does, only it does it better.