• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-378 WBY Accumark load with Barnes TTSX/TSX

sniperstudent

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
I am trying to help a friend develop an accurate load for a weatherby accumark 30-378. He is currently planning to use H1000 and Barnes 180gr TSX. Anyone had success with this combo? I have never loaded for big magnums like this, nor have I ever used barnes bullets. I searched the web looking for info on this combo but did not find anyone using the barnes bullets. My gut tells me a 180 gr bullet is on the light side for this caliber but IDK. I do not want to spend a bunch of time with this combo if I am just pissing in the wind. This combo will be for crop damage deer. Being able to kill at 6,700 yds would be a big help. Thanks

I will give my opinion, which obviously is dependent upon components that are available.

While 600/700 yards is really not long range for the 30-378.....the TSX doesn’t have a great BC and a little higher required velocity for complete expansion. That said......I would look at the 190 or 200 grain LRX’s. They have much higher BC’s and reliability open at a little lower velocity!

If you can’t get Barnes Bullets.....contact Hammer Bullets! They are great bullets, reputedly very easy to build a load with, and is a small company that can probably fill your order!

Good Luck! memtb

Thanks for the suggestions. My thoughts are similar to your suggestions. I have no interest in using barnes bullets as there is lots of published data for other bullet brands. Right now my muzzle velocity is 3200 fps. I am hoping someone has tried this combo and can post a review.

Thanks for the suggestions. My thoughts are similar to your suggestions. I have no interest in using barnes bullets as there is lots of published data for other bullet brands. Right now my muzzle velocity is 3200 fps. I am hoping someone has tried this combo and can post a review.

I guess it depends upon the purpose for the bullet! If it is for game, it will be very difficult to beat the monos....especially the Barnes or the Hammer’s. We’ve been using Barnes only.....for all of our big game hunting since the early ‘90’s. I haven’t tried the Hammer’s yet......only because I have a lot of Barnes’ for both my wife’s .338 WM and my .375 AI.

When I was working, I had 3 or 4 co-workers using the 30-378 Weatherby, at least 2 were using Barnes. But, I’ve lost contact since I retired! memtb