• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Has anyone ever shot them? I was thinking about one or a 338 for a next rifle but looking for some pro's and con's of each.

Re: 30-378

They were very popular about 15 years ago and about 3 years later were all up
for sale around here. Hard kicking for sure and maybe hard on throats because they sure disappeared from the mainstream. I know of a few guys that fired theirs once
and put them up for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever shot them? I was thinking about one or a 338 for a next rifle but looking for some pro's and con's of each. </div></div>

What do you want out of your next rifle?

High cost per shot? Muzzle brake required? Shooting past a thousand yards as the prime objective?

There you go.

Use the search function, and read a bunch about each chambering.

The 240 SMK's would slow it down a little. Last time i shot with one he was all over a 30" disk at 1880 yards with 220's. Whatever the drawbacks, it has proven itself accurate.

I had one for quite a while. Like the other guys said. Well over 100 grains of powder per shot, bullets same as any other 30 cal. Recoil was well tamed with Answer System. All in all it was a hoot to shoot, and without a doubt the loudest boomer you'll ever see next to a 50. Anything specific you want know, just PM me and I'll share what I know. With that said, if you want a good long range shooter, there are better alternatives out there.

Ammo for the 378 based cartridges is running $6.50 per shot here. The best load for my accumark is a 210 gr. VLD over 98 gr. H1000. 3/4 moa to 1 moa. Not my load, got it from another guy. It's dang expensive, that's for sure.