• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 30 cal 110gn Vmax??

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Looking for a good load combo for my M1A SOCOM. I've been using hornady vmax 110gn bullets in a 6.8 SPC with stellar results on hogs.
    I'm thinking that 110 gn vmax's might work good for a short range 308, but not sure.....
    Anybody out there tried them? Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: 30 cal 110gn Vmax??

They're varmint bullets and from a 308 you're going to end up downloading them so they don't just explode on the surface from the speed and bullet construction.

For short range hogs, I'd suggest something meant for penetration like the 180gr RN by Hornady. You will get deeper penetration from a 2500fps load with 180gr bullet that has a fat meplat than you will with a blistering 110gr varmint bullet for sure.

Hogs aren't made of iron, but if you shoot it with a bullet meant for 10lb rodents it will give you (at best) mixed results.

If you want to go light on hogs, a 110gr TSX or TTSX might work out better. Penetration would not be an issue.

The hogs I shot with 168AMAX have all run off. I wouldnt even think of using a 110gr varmint bullet on a hog. I load for the 300 pound ones in case they come in. A 110gr will not give you enough penetration.

Do you really want to shoot at something like this with a 110gr? The pipe in the background is 5 feet long.
    5060520550_13ee3b3e54.jpg

Also consider the 110gr VMax in the 6.8 has a lot longer profile, and only going about 2550 fps.

In the 308, it's shorter, wider, and going a lot faster. I load them to 3200-3300 fps. They nuke when they hit something.

Yeah I agree with most of what's been said, a 110 gn 30 cal bullet is not well suited for heavy targets. I've been blown away with that 6.8 110gn vmax I was thinking more velocity from the 308 might be better........but the bullet shape does contradict overall performance.
    I have regained some sanity.....

I almost have a load dialed in with IMR 8208 and the 110 VMAX for my AR10T. 3100 to 3200 fps is nothing to sneeze at, and the external ballistics will closely match a 55 gr VMAX from a .223. I will shoot into a block of phone books at various ranges to get an idea of what the bullet is capable of. I will then go out and look for some coyotes and see first hand what happens when a different medium is encountered.

All I've heard about them is good, accurate, lethal, etc. However, they do go splat. I wouldn't try one on a hog, without having seen what is possible on a coyote first. Hogs are quite a bit tougher than coyotes.

I have tried them in both my .308 and my 300wsm, VERY explosive results, I dont know if the OP was talking about a hog load, or just talking about what he has used, but I dont think this bullet would be good on hogs. Unless they were little piggies.

I hunt deer with the TAP 110 .308 and have had all deer drop on the spot. No exit, but everything inside is liquid. I am shooting inside 100 yds from a stand. A pig is tougher than a deer, but I purposely shoot the shoulder bone so they don't run into the thick stuff and it goes right on through.

The only caliber I ever tried and had limited success with 110 gr. bullets was 7.62X39. Unfortunately it was in a Mini-30 so I gave up. For what you're asking I think the only bullet, loaded down, that would hold up would have been the Barnes-X and I don't think they make them in 110 any longer.

300WM at 3900 fps or so, pretty much vaporizes whatever hit hits. But I would not shoot anything tougher than a coyote with it, it's asking for trouble.

I don't know about the 110 VMax from a .308 but I can attest the the complete destruction and complete bullet fragmentation of the 110gr .277 VMax out of a .270 Winchester on Coyotes, it flat spreads them out all over the wheat fields. A coyote isn't very thick or tough and the 110 VMax flat hand grenades on them, HUGE exit holes. I'm talking just the backbone holding them together. Same results from point blank to 300 yards or so.

Havent used the 110 v max but the sierra 125 SP and the old barnes 125 x bullet worked great in my wifes .3o8 on game up to 300lb hogs.

do not underestimatge the 125 balistic tips either...I used to shoot the 110 in a 30ber at 300yds...exc bullet for sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btrapr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do not underestimatge the 125 balistic tips either...I used to shoot the 110 in a 30ber at 300yds...exc bullet for sure</div></div>

I have flat stuffed Muleys in the dirt with the 125 BT, flat smoking out of a .300 Win Mag. Actually, with this combo was the first time I have ever heard a Mule deer squeal upon bullet impact.

I load these in a Rem 700 LTR .308 just shy of 3000 FPS for prairie dogs. As already mentioned the jackets are light light light. I think a soft point bullet of some sort would be a better choice but the 110's would probably work real good behind the ear on hogs.

Forgot to mention, they are accurate as hell though in my LTR loaded to 2.78 OAL. Short little bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also consider the 110gr VMax in the 6.8 has a lot longer profile, and only going about 2550 fps.

In the 308, it's shorter, wider, and going a lot faster. I load them to 3200-3300 fps. They nuke when they hit something. </div></div>

AMEN.

I have shot some bigger nutria with this load (tailpide shot at 40 yards) and got NO EXIT!

The Nutria was exceptionally, double extra dead, however.
    laugh.gif

BMT

Also, I have had very good luck with 150 Corelocks on hogs from a 308, (Speers, and Interlockts too).

150 gr Cup and core bullets at 308 speeds work well.

BMT

I did a very unscientific "test" with the 110 Vmax. I shot a fairly large tree (about the thickness of an average persons waist. The tree was very much alive and the wood was not soft, anyway I was convinced that the 110Vmax @ 3000fps+ would never pass through, I was dead wrong.

Again not at all scientific but certainly changed my view on the penetration capabilities of these projectiles. All that said I would grab an X first and every time if that's an option.

This is an old thread any of you shoot varmits w 110vmax? I had a shot at a raccoon last night w my 300BLK but held off bc I wasn’t sure if it would expand on little critter like that. I usually drill them a my 17HMR.

This is an old thread any of you shoot varmits w 110vmax? I had a shot at a raccoon last night w my 300BLK but held off bc I wasn’t sure if it would expand on little critter like that. I usually drill them a my 17HMR.
    Just shoot it. If you hit a coon it with a 30 cal it will die. I mean, as long as you shoot somewhere besides the tail, foot or top of the ear. I haev shot coons, foxes and feral cats with a 30-06. If its all I got at the time the target presents itself that is the caliber it gets. The damage those things do around here (predation) is more expensive than the bullet. Never had one walk away yet, just straight to dirt nap.