• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 Cal Berger Suggestions?

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
I won a certificate for 600 Berger bullets and am looking for recommendations on some of their bullets to try in 30 cal.

My rifles are 308 with 1:12 24" and a 300 Win Mag with 1:11 26".

The loads need to fit in AI mags please.

Thanks.

Re: 30 Cal Berger Suggestions?

Target shooting is the priority, but might use them on deer also.

I run the 185gr LRBT for Palma, its a great bullet in .308 and in .300WM it would be a killer. Shoots fine out of a 1:12 twist.

If you are going to both target and hunt, personally, I would run the 185VLDH. It will shoot paper just fine, and then do a proper job on critters. I know quite a few fellows advocate using match bullets on game, and they are entitled to use whatever that darn well please. That subject has been beaten to death and does not need to be flogged again here. I personally prefer a hunting bullet on flesh/bone. With the VLDH, you get the best of both worlds.

For the 300wm, the 185 should serve you well without a doubt, but I am not sure about the twist on the 308. Berger's website shows a twist rate of 12 needed, so you should be OK, but you might want to try a 100ct box of them before you go all in for 600.

Let us know what you find.