• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 30 cal muzzle Brake on 6.5mm bbl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I recently acquired a RAD rapid brake intended for a .308 win barrel. I'm now thinking I would prefer to use it on my 6.5x47 barrel. Is there any downside to using the brake given that the exit hole is opened up for 30cal?

Thanks,
Rath

Re: 30 cal muzzle Brake on 6.5mm bbl

It should work fine, but may not be quite as efficient since the brake won't be capturing/redirecting as much given the smaller bullet and larger exit hole.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to perceive any appreciable difference between the two brakes.

That said...if you really WANT to swap them out, maybe Randy will do you are favor and switch them for you (assuming yours is new and you cover S&H since you are "down under"). I'm not sure what 3 specific sized he offers, but I know that they range from 6mm to .308/7.62 so it is possible that he has a 6.5mm-specific model.

Re: 30 cal muzzle Brake on 6.5mm bbl

I run a .338 cal brake on all the barrels of my M2008, just for the sake of needing only one muzzle brake. Anything from .243 to .308

.....no problems what so ever.