• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30 cal suppressor compairison

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
Hellow their FNG here , been reading for a while so i decided to post a couple questions.

I'm in the market for a good 30 cal rifle can for a 24" barreled 308 , size and weight is not of real concern more intrested in the effectiveness of the unit.

I have heard alot of good things about the SRT Shadow , SWR Omega30 and AAC Cyclone , and I've heard of a few others but but not any first hand experiance form anybody on a weapon similar to this.

Or would I better off building my own can with a slightly bigger demention

Re: 30 cal suppressor compairison

the shark magnum .30 suppressor is quieter than my jet....its at 1.6 dia. x 10".......TI

I own an SWR Omega30, AAC Cyclone (older model), AAC SCARH, Surefire 762SS and am supposed to have a 7.62 Ops Inc 12th Model on the way.

For thread on cans in the past I would give my nod to the SWR Omega30 simply because it was a little lighter than the Cyclone. They sound roughly the same, but coincedently enough-I get less of a POI shift with the Cyclone.
With that said, I've handled and messed around with both of the 2008 Model Cyclones (the standard and K Model). I would for certain go with one of these as they are significantly lighter than the older model and while I haven't shot them side by side with the older model-they are supposed to be quieter.
I just recently (within the past week) bought a Surefire 762SS and I find the attachment to be the most solid of the fast attach cans (zero wiggle whatsoever), but haven't been able to shoot it alongside anything or check for accuracy, velocity difference or POI shift yet. It's very lightweight, which I think comes from a reduced tube thickness as afer only 2 rounds I was barely able to hold it with my hand-that's all I've shot through it so far. I can say that a mirage wrap will be a necessity with this suppressor.
The AAC SCAR-H is another outstanding suppressor. I can dial in my POI to match the unsuppressed POI and the mount is solid with next to no wiggle. It's definetely heavier than the Surefire can-even the mount is noticeable heavier and it's built like a tank.
I'm waiting on my 7.62 12th Model and if I'm half as impressed with it as I am my 5.56 12th Model, I'll be very happy with it I'm sure.

If i'm right isin't the new AAC Cyclone the same as the 762SD but without the fast attach feature?

Does Shark have a web site?

I have also heard some things about Quicksilver suppressors , they are only 1.3"OD and 10" long which makes me wonder how effecient they can be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i'm right isin't the new AAC Cyclone the same as the 762SD but without the fast attach feature?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes,I have a 762SD and am pleased with it </span>

Does Shark have a web site?

I have also heard some things about Quicksilver suppressors , they are only 1.3"OD and 10" long which makes me wonder how effecient they can be </div></div>

Thanks for the info guys ,this can will be just a regular 5/8x24 thread on mount.

Zack ,you have mail inbound.

I just got my Thunder beast Arms 30 cal can. Haven't had the chance to run too many rounds through it yet. The weather has been really shity here. Its great so far though (light,quiet).

Ya it cleared on Monday! The cans are awesome. I just came in from shooting the 22l, now that the wind has finally died down. Now I just need Raydogs help working up a load for my crusader, so I can get out and start shootin a bunch!

Ya, I need to get a thunder Beast, I know Alan said he had 3 available for immediate delivery, but i have that Surefire to clear for the Gladius, and I really need to offload a Jet and even my Halo...

Looking for quite, durable, and accurate. It seems those are the things Dale with elite iron seems to focus on. I have only seen and heard one of his cans at a match he was shooting at. He had a 338 Lapua. It was quite. I get my statment after talking with him for a bit after the match. Just don't worry much about weight, your precision gun already weights 15lbs, what is another 2 lbs?

I bought a .50 bmg can from Dale at Elite iron. Great people to deal with. 14" long 2.5" diameter Can't wait to get it. Waiting for the paperwork to get back from BATF. I'll post some pics and give a report when I get it. Already have my TAB cover waiting for it.

I got to shoot a .50 with one of his cans when I was there picking up one of my toys. Very impressive. Great people to deal with.

My can is a SRT Shadow and not only does it does its job, but the cost was fairly reasonable and when you call the company the owner answers the phone!!! Can't compare to others, but time line was quick and I am happy with the bottom line.
Just another wrench in the mix as I'm sure they are all pretty good.
Chad

I have an SRT Shadow and a Titanium Shadow in the works ..... I'm more than happy with the price and dealing with Doug is pretty easy.

318572065.jpg

318572064.jpg

318572062.jpg

I think it would be hard to pass on the SAS Titanium suppressor. Tim uses the highest quality Titanium and always looks for the best buy on his supplies to transfer the savings on to his customers. There are many here who own his Stainless suppressors and they get rave reviews. Think of this one as a lighter version.

Specs:

Length 9"
Weight 15.25 oz.
Diameter 1.5"

I am very impressed with my initial observations of this suppressor. With a suggested retail of less than $1k it has the potential to be the next Top seller.

I, too, have been looking at .30 cal cans for my .308 and was wondering if anyone had any dealings/interactions with or knowledge of Quicksilver Manufacturing and their cans. I have been in contact with them and they seem nice, good with communication so far. One things I was somewhat concerned about was they they supposedly use 100% titanium in their suppressors and I have heard mixed reviews on that being good/bad...any opinions? Or is here not the place for that?

I was also wondering if anyone knew anything about JET suppressors as well?

Thanks!

+1 for what Hooper said about SAS.

I have shot Jet, SWR, HTG, AAC, and Gemtech.
After shooting Suppressed Armament's cans (SAS) I was quite surprised that the quality of their suppressors belittles the inexpensive pricing they charge for them.
Since then I have purchased several of the SAS cans. It's a matter of personal choice, however the performance (fit, finish, sound, and POI shift) has spoken for itself time and time again.
20080526_2.jpg

.30 Cal Arbiter

Again, my opinion......flame away.

It's all about POI change,suppression,quality, and CS. Damn the cost. Just so happens SAS has all the above and is affordable as well. And it's like Burger King. The USO of cans. Tim can I have my next one with this, and that, oh, I gotta have that too.
Dude is Awesome.

7WSMSAS1.jpg

rifle03.jpg

SAS's website does not seem to have much info on the Arbiter up yet; can anyone give me some specs, dB ratings, pricing, etc.? I have never shot a suppressed bolter before, only semi's/auto's so I am fairly inexperienced in this realm. I do as much research as I can on the topic though so I do not ask too many stupid questions. :p

I am still very interested in Quicksilver suppressors, looks like a good product and they have good pricing as well, and so far as I have experienced, good communication too.

Thanks again!

Call SAS. Mech specs are posted above. I don't have sound
testing equipment here to tell you it's db reduction rating.
Can tell you it's a lot fucking quieter than some cans I've heard that post claims of 33-35 db sound reduction. Maybe is just my fucking ears though. I'm biased. It was the lack of POI change, quality of build, and sound suppression that got me.
It's just his damn sneaky pricing structure I don't like. Well, I got this one for that price, no since in not buying one for the other rifle, then the next. Before long you're waiting on paperwork for 4 or 5 more cans.

Quicksilver's baffles are tighter than most, which may help the sound but jacks up the chances of a baffle strike. Their sound metering procedure is also bizarre. I saw a picture of Dr. Jay metering their .50BMG can from several feet behind the shooter.

I'm waiting for my papers to clear on one of the TBAC cans right now and when they were doing the sound testing , on that day and thoose conditions , the TBAC can and the Shark were within 1 - 2 db of each other and the Jet and , IIRC a AAC were both 10 - 15 db louder .
The fit and finish on mine is first class , Shane did a good job putting it together .

The 2005 AAC is much quieter than a Jet. And the 2008 is by an even wider margin.

The 2008 AAC Cyclone and 762-SD are super sweet. The focus of the new Cyclone is on accuracy (EDMed bore), POI shift, low-weight without having to use Titanium (22 oz for the Cyclone, 18.5 for the Cyclone-K), excellent sound reduction, and still extremely strong due to CNC robot welding of the core and the use of 316L and heat-treated Inconel 718.

Here is some recent data:

Remington 700 26" Hornady Tap 168 GR, A-weighted, Mic one meter to the left of muzzle. 166.7 dB unsuppressed.

2008 SWR Omega - 142.5, +2.0 FRP, -24.2 dB NSR, ~26oz

Remington 700, 18 inch barrel, M80 Ammo. A-weighted, Mic one meter to the left of muzzle. 168.7 dB.

AAC Cyclone 138.9, 1.0 dB FRP, 29.8 NSR, 22.6oz
AAC Cyclone-K 141.4, 3.0 dB FRP, 27.3 NSR, 18.7 oz
2005 SWR Omega 141.4, -1.0 FRP, 27.3 dB NSR, 27 oz
2008 SWR Omega 148.7, 3.7 FRP, 20 dB NSR, ~26 oz

At Ear:

2008 Omega 132.4
AAC Cyclone-K 129.6
AAC Cyclone 128.9

I don't have 2008 data compared to a Jet as their day seems to be over and it is not worth it to test them, but I did do tests in 2005 and got 26.5 dB net reduction for the AAC and 19.7 dB for the Jet. 26.5dB is the lowest I have ever seen for any AAC .308 can, and they have been revised three times since then.

Even back then, the 2005 AAC can was far quieter than a Jet (just about twice as quiet). And the 2008 AAC Cyclone seems 10.1 dB quieter than a 2005 Jet model -- more than twice as quiet.

In 2005, AAC was 30.5 oz and the Jet was 20.4 oz. If the Jet were steel instead of Ti, it would be a 33 oz can -- even heavier than the old AAC. If the AAC Cyclone-K were Ti, it would be just 11.5 oz.

Anyone who wants to see one can come to the shoot this month:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/silencershoot/

Man, now you got me raelly hoping I can come to the shoot.. What exactly is covered in the "seminar" portion on Friday evening? If I can come I likely will not be able to make it in time Friday so I am trying to figure out what exactly happens during that time.

Thanks for all the info on the suppressors though, glad I did not purchase a Jet when I initially started looking!

I have a SAS 30 cal can coming... can'y beat the price and Tim's a good guy to deal with. Also have a older AAC Cyclone that works great but cost more $.

+1 for SAS.
CS----great
Product---great I just have a 30cal stainless now. Getting a 22
and another 30 Ti
Price---affordable--not cheap. My 1st class 3 dealer builds cans for LEO and Military only and his own words were
"You got this for how much?"

Great looking AI! Is that a harris bipod? Doesn't AI make a good bipod with skiis? I'll be building an AI soon with a Schmidt & Bender PMII and it sounds like an SAS can, since I can't seem to get anyone to import a Brugger & Thomet .338 can. Can't decide between a .308 or the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Any opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since I can't seem to get anyone to import a Brugger & Thomet .338 can.</div></div>
It's not so much that nobody will, it's that it's illegal.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can't decide between a .308 or the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Any opinions?</div></div>
Do a trivial amount of research and you'll have your answer.