• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 30 mm or 1 inch tube?

galveston22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
Shopping for a scope. Why should I choose one or the other (30mm or 1" tube) all else being equal? Will my sight picture be larger using a 30mm tube?

Re: 30 mm or 1 inch tube?

I have also been told besides more adjustment you get more precise adjustments. Only advantage I see in a 1" tube is less weight.

Sight picture will be a function of objective size, magnification, and eye relief. A 50mm objective on a 1" scope will gather as much light as a 50mm on a 30mm tube. As has already been stated, 30mm tubes generally have more adjustment for elevation and windage.

That actually depends on the size of the internal lenses used. If the 30mm scope has more adjustment than the 1 inch scope of the same magnification, then the internal lenses are the same size in both, so you will not get a better picture so to speak.

On the other hand, if the 30mm scope has the same range of adjustment has a similar 1 inch scope, then the internal lenses are bigger and you should get a better quality picture in the 30mm scope. That's why they make 34 and 35mm scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sight picture will be a function of objective size, magnification, and eye relief. A 50mm objective on a 1" scope will gather as much light as a 50mm on a 30mm tube. As has already been stated, 30mm tubes generally have more adjustment for elevation and windage. </div></div>
You are mostly correct except that scopes don't gather light!
grin.gif
Transmit is probably more fitting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The light is there weather<span style="font-style: italic">[sic]</span> you collect it or not!</div></div>

A physics joke: How would you know?

But I digress. To answer the O.P., the 30mm tube gives you more elevation range than a 1" tube. Even larger-diameter tubes give you still more elevation range, unless the scope adjustments are externally mounted as they are on a US Optics SN-9, in which case the tube diameter is immaterial.

In my experience the greatest range of high-quality mounting options are available for 30mm diameter tubes -- spacers being required to accommodate 1" tubes. After that, 34mm. There seem to be few mounting options for 35mm tubes. If you're going to be using semi-permanent rings then maybe it's no big deal, but if you have special requirements it's something you should keep in mind.

I agree with sig. All things being equal the 30mm tube should have better sight picture than 1" tube.

YMMV.

I have a different take on 1" vs 30MM. Asking which is better is like asking "how long is a piece of string". What I mean is there are some very good 1" scopes and some very bad 30mm, and visa versa.

So the choice really comes down to size and weight. Most, but not all 1" tubed scopes will be shorter and lighter, than their 30mm counterparts. Specifications are your friend, all scope makers provide them. Go read....

So if your building a rifle as light as possible, like a sub 6 lb hunting rifle, then find the shortest and lightest scope that will fit your application. When thinking short and light, think fixed power like a fixed 4x or 6x, or variables under 9x.

Building a long range rig? Weight is usually not a big factor, within reason, higher power is important, as is adjustment range. Here think 30mm, larger objectives like 50mm, powers up to 24x. A light weight long range rig is an oxymoron of sorts.

Building a light tactical rig? Well you can build it short and light, sort of. A light tactical rig might go 9-11 lbs. Here you would want a 30mm tube, good adjustment range, an objective no larger than 42mm, power topping out at 16x and maybe illumination, for 0 dark 30 encounters. Bigger is not better, in this case. Examples are a stock Remington LTR, with a 30mm 3.5-10x40mm, or 4.5-14x40mm.

Building a bench rest gun? Then think as big and as large as possible. After all you not going to carry the damn thing, it will be crew served or have wheels......
cool.gif

What all this means is think about what your going to do with your rifle. If you plan on carry it yourself any great distance, sans gunbearer, then think smaller and lighter. If you only carrying it from the car to the bench or shooting mat, then bigger has virtue.

In summary, there is excellent 1" glass running from $200. up to $2000. or more. There is excellent 30mm glass running from about $400 to $3k. All have their uses, pluses and minuses. A 8.5-30x50mm 30mm tube scope would be lousy for hunting deer in forests, and 1.5-5x20MM 1" would not be what you would chose to shoot 1000 yds. Somewhere in between those two extremes is the right 1" or 30mm tubed scope for you. Now go find it...

Bob

My 2cents, would be:
1st: application
2nd: range
3rd: budget

If your application is hunting, then why do you need a 30mm if you can get the features you desire or really NEED in a 1" scope and it is less than half the cost. If you going for the overall universal do all, sure the 30mm is going to be a better choice. If you shooting at 100yds - 600yds, then again, either scope will cover with all your elevation requirements. Budget, yes the money end of it does come to mind as well.

So when asking such an open ended question, I would recommend you put some more details in for more pointy recommendations.