• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 Nosler barrel length

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I'm about to rebarrel my LR elk rifle and am fairly certain I'll get a proof carbon fiber barrel chambered in 30 Nosler.
I'll be using the Federal Edge TLR 200 grain bullet if it'll shoot, or maybe the 214 hammer hunter.
I'm torn on what barrel length to go with ..
I'm wanting Max killing power for out to 1100 yards which makes me lean towards a 28" barrel.
I'm also thinking I may go suppressed in the future which would put me at a 24" barrel.
Is 24" going to cost me a lot of velocity?

Likely ~100fps loss for 24in vs 28in.

Just out of curiosity, why 30 Nosler when you’re going to be reloading anyway? 30-28 Nosler is slightly more case capacity (comparable to 300 Norma Mag, and frequently gets people to the next accuracy node) and has ADG brass.

Likely ~100fps loss for 24in vs 28in.

Just out of curiosity, why 30 Nosler when you’re going to be reloading anyway? 30-28 Nosler is slightly more case capacity (comparable to 300 Norma Mag, and frequently gets people to the next accuracy node) and has ADG brass.
Thanks for the input
I haven't looked into the 30-28 but I'm guessing it'll be a pain dealing with a custom reamer and dies..
I've heard 30 nos ADG brass has a capacity of 101 grains so just 2 less than a NM

If your going to shoot suppressed I'd split the difference and go 26" in a 9 twist, should shoot the 200's right a 3000.

Reactions: rfurman24
I don't have a suppressor but I would not go shorter than 26" personally. ADG 30 Nosler brass has more capacity than Nosler 28 Nosler brass. I don't have any ADG 28 brass but I doubt it will get you to the next node over ADG 30 Nosler brass. I would stick with the straight 30 Nosler.

Change of plans
I can't find a heavy 30 Cal bonded bullet so I'm going 338 NM.
I have a 25" 9.5 twist barrel being chambered, should have it back in a few weeks.
For LR elk I feel it just makes more sense