30 Super Carry

BigJimFish

Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Columbus, OH
347 ft-lbs from a 100gr .312" pill looks like a win to me for a lot of folks. Because it gets it's energy from something smaller going faster experience says it will recoil much less. It will need good bullet design to make that energy into stopping power but bullet design is very good these days. I think this cartridge fits an obvious niche and is a clear upgrade in meaningful ways from existing cartridges. Really, once you step down from the 9mm, most handgun cartridges outright suck. Old designs that are quite anemic in the power department. These cartridges continuing to exist says to me there must be a market for something that kicks less than a 9mm and it must be a desperate market at that if it is buying the garbage that those cartridges are. Now I'm not about to stop loving the 9mm personally but this 30 Super Carry does not look like an answer to a question no one was asking in the way the 45 GAP so obviously was. I think it should be a success.

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    also, a smaller bore dia is easier to suppress..

Yeah, I know that's one of my priorities when talking about supersonic projectiles from a self-defense pistol.

BytorJr

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    347 ft-lbs from a 100gr .312" pill looks like a win to me for a lot of folks. Because it gets it's energy from something smaller going faster experience says it will recoil much less. It will need good bullet design to make that energy into stopping power but bullet design is very good these days. I think this cartridge fits an obvious niche and is a clear upgrade in meaningful ways from existing cartridges. Really, once you step down from the 9mm, most handgun cartridges outright suck. Old designs that are quite anemic in the power department. These cartridges continuing to exist says to me there must be a market for something that kicks less than a 9mm and it must be a desperate market at that if it is buying the garbage that those cartridges are. Now I'm not about to stop loving the 9mm personally but this 30 Super Carry does not look like an answer to a question no one was asking in the way the 45 GAP so obviously was. I think it should be a success.
    Put this in something as slim as a 1903 Colt ( Browning ), and I'd actually sign up for it. Shrink the barrel length down and the we're on a win-win. But, not enthused about the 2 guns "introduced." But, I still say until somebody like Ruger, Taurus, or Kel-Tec (oh boy, did I say that???) at a minimum produce it, it's "vaporware." Preferably Sig or Beretta would come to play. We know HK won't, heck, they won't produce a 365 sized gun (that we know of).

Yes, on paper, it's interesting. But...what guns will be available only time will tell.

WindstormSCR

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 28, 2021
    Maryland
    Yeah, I know that's one of my priorities when talking about supersonic projectiles from a self-defense pistol.
    I mean, even if it's not what the round was intended for, it does still make for a relevant comment. Something like SilencerCo's Maxim 9 engineered to take advantage of the caliber could be quite something, since 30SC is designed to behave well from very short barrels, and would help reduce the impact of some of the original compromises in the Maxim 9 design