• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 30 TC and the ICON

Asm1

Night walker
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
RBC / Gadsden AL.
asm-holsters.com
Doing some searching for the ICON and 30TC round I didnt Find much Info.I read and took from the few threads I found,It was a good WEAPON,But
a round without a Need,There where better Chaimbering's already avaiable in .30 cal(308)..For those that search the web and Need some Info on the Combo from a precision Long Range Rifle shooter point of view..

Took a chance and bought The 30TC ICON WEATHER SHIELD synthetic,It was on sale at CDNN for $399.99 after tax and shiping at the LOCAL GUN store I was out the Door for $490.00 .Installed Leupold MEDIUM PRW rings useing a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm vx-3 CDS Turret.

I mounted it all from new in box at the Range while I watch the sun slip behind the mountain(Hurry)I orderd low and medium rings,Thank goodnes,the LOW where to low,Medium is juts ENOUGH to clear the bell and barrel !

I must say This is one Nice Rifle/combo,What a deal !

I Orderd 2 boxes of 30TC Hornady 165sst.After mounting the scope It took 1 click right from optical center and 5 Minutes up to zero at 100 yards,First 3 rounds was 1.7MOA not bad for a new gun and a hasty zero, Dark was comeing fast,Ajusted from the first group and the Next three rounds 1MOA with a warm barrel..
I Threw it all in the truck went(Hauled ass) from my 100 zero spot to 553 yards. hastley threw the numbers in XBALL from hornady which gave me 12.5 IPH for 553 yards held center of target best I could in the fading light two shots where solid,The last one The bipod sliped a little right when I aqueezed it off it was just over MOA and Back tracking velocity was 2837 FPS AT 13 IPH,Recoil was less than expected.Hit 2.5" Low center of plate !

I Know the ICON and 30TC will do much better under less stress and after a few rounds and a barrel cleaning I suspect it will be in the .5MOA range..Should be a Great deer Rifle!

Here is My take on the 30TC,It does exceed 308 SAMMI velocity,It does match 308 superformance loadings(in a smaller case),It does kick less than a 308,It does what Hornady and thompson said it would do,I say its a WIN WIN for me,useing Factory ammo to boot,$25.00 for a box of ammo that is for a Chaimber that is match exactly for the round,the combo is guranteed 1moa or less.