• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300/.338 win tac rifles

mijopa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
California
Looking to up the ante from my .308s into the magnum world.
going back and forth between the practicality of the .300 win and the hype of the .338
I do not reload, so factory ammo will have to be purchased.
I am very familiar with all the ballistics, bullet weights, bc etc;
i am just looking ffor either buyers remorse stories or buyer beware issues.
Purpose of rifle will be simply my own satisfaction of surpassing the range my .308s get me out to now, (1000)yards.
Is the .300 a compromise?
Will I long for a .338?
Or will the .338 simply be too exspensive to shoot?

Re: .300/.338 win tac rifles

If you have the yardage to justify it 338 is a fantastic round.

300 is an honest +1K yard round and is significantly less expensive to feed.

You really should consider reloading in either case. Last I checked 338 was about a hundred bucks for a box of 20. You can get a decent single stage set up for the cost of 5 boxes if not less.

Personaly I like 300 WM due to availability of ammo, cost and performance.

Realistically, unless you need the downrange energy, I think the 338's are really hard to justify. If people have the spare change sitting around and really want one, more power to them. It's a very cool weapon system.

But with the current crop of high BC bullets, the 300WM, 7WSM, 7RM, and a host of others have become much cheaper ELR alternatives. Yes, misses are a little harder to spot and the .338's give a little more auditory feedback from a plate as well as a larger splat, but none of these things would justify the expense to me.

I've taken my 300 out to 2300 yds. now and mile hits really aren't that difficult. Longer distance cold bore hits are challenging, but I've several center-mass at 1500 yds. 1000 yds. is like a backyard shot by comparison.

There are a myriad of other reasons and I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck with your project and let us know which direction you go.

John

If you're only going to shoot to 1000 I wouldn't bother with the 338. You could even run a .260 which will crush the 308. I've got mine to 1400 so far and it's way cheaper than 300 or 338.

Keith

you don't reload so i would recommend either the 6.5 creedmoor for strictly targets or the 300wm if you don't mind schelling out the doe for match ammo and may need it for hunting at distance.