• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 AAC BLACKOUT at 600 yards

rsilvers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2005
Today I shot my AAC 16 inch AR upper at 600 yards. It was only the second time I have ever fired over 200 yards, so I was concerned about my own ability being reflected in the results.

Conditions were 48 degrees F, 100% humidity, 30.02 pressure, 200 foot ceiling (fog), calm on wind.

The range in Reading MA has 600 yard practice Tuesday mornings. Ralph Tufano was there running the event and let me shoot. I could tell there was some concern about if I was sighted it well enough to hit the target, but I had a 200 yard zero so I thought I could with 25 MOA more elevation. I used a Leupold Mark 4 6.5–20×50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal variable power telescopic sight with a 34 mm tube diameter and first focal plane Horus Vision reticle in a one-piece mount.

There were people pulling targets, and Ralph spotted for me and let me shoot on his target alternating with him. My first shot was using 25 MOA elevation beyond my 200 yard zero. It was low - between the target and the ground. For my second shot I did 30 MOA elevation, and it was a hit - but low, and around the 6-ring. We asked the target-changer if the hole was round, and he said it was.

My 3rd shot I did 35 MOA elevation, and it was a hit - I forget where - and they cover the hole with a patch each time. My 4th shot was at 37 MOA elevation and in the 10 ring (the 10 ring is 6 inches in diameter - 1 MOA). My 7th shot was in the 1/2 MOA X-ring. By now there was no longer a concern the rifle/ammo could reach the targets and make good hits. I fired 20 shots total, with a few more 10-ring hits.

Assuming the shots were at 2250 fps, the 200-600 yard change with 37 MOA difference implies a real-world G1 BC of about 0.215 PSI.

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT at 600 yards

god to know that round has potential, which load was it you shot at 600??

It was a bullet which is not available. 125 grain, flat base (on right, next to AK bullet).

123grainvs125grainsmall.jpg

I should have taken a photo of the range just to make the post more interesting, but the target was patched up on each shot.

IMG_7067.jpg

The 300 AAC Blackout plastic tipped, left, compared to 300 AAC BLACKOUT 125 match, 300 AAC BLACKOUT 220 subsonic, 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm.

Hmm 300 Blk fills a unique market niche and it just looks plain fun to shoot! It kinda reminds me of the 9x39 Russian.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbYLyfFf9u8&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbYLyfFf9u8&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

For a second I was thinking you were running the subs to 600 yards.

Dustin

Houston Armory just sent photos of their stash of subsonic:

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

wow! I never even thought of that round at that type of distance. Nice job.

nice i was wondering how it would perform at the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a second I was thinking you were running the subs to 600 yards.

Dustin </div></div>

It can be done. We ran a 300 whisper to 600-650 on steel about 10 months ago. We were getting some good hits on a roughly 14" plate. You would need to change the "MOA" in the original post to "MILS" and that would be close.

If I recall we were launching 220gr SMKs at right about 1000fps (not my load) from a 16" bolt gun. When we ran the numbers in FTE I think it was still doing something like 850fps at the target. Very good retained velocity. Flight time was something rediculous.....like 2.5 seconds. To paint the picture:

On the first day, the mounted scope didnt have enough elevation travel. I was spotting, so I measured 25MILS up using a Gen2 reticle and found a distinct part of a pine tree WAY above the target. That was the initial aiming point for the shooter. First round was about a foot left and a little low. He corrected and sent several more. You could not see the target itself when you were shooting, as it was out of the FOV of the optic. However, you could actually see the round rise into your line of sight and could follow it down onto the target with the scope with plenty of time to spare. Fun as hell. The next time out there was a better optic mounted and we had some good hits on steel. Several guys from the Hide had fun with it that day. No sound, no recoil, just fun. We have a 300BLK we are dying to stretch a little bit if we can ever get to the range again.