• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 AAC Blackout

Amsoildealer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
What's everyones thoughts on the 300 AAC blackout?
Specs: anderson lower, 16" sota upper

I just started playing with this cartridge. It is a pretty neat round, quiet through a can, but seems as if it can be a bit finicky on the gas system and buffer in order to run well.

I built one of those this summer. I haven't put any sights or an optic on it yet, so I don't have any accuracy data at this time. But the recoil is no worse than any .223 I've ever shot. I'm going to get some kind of 1-4 power scope soon, so I can see how well it shoots.

I'll see about getting some pictures up here.

Wes

I run mine with a 9" gas upper suppressed. I've not had any gas system issues or any problems with cycling. It is a stupid quiet round and very controllable on lowers with a "fun switch." I haven't shot is past 100 yards and most of the time 50 yards and in so I can't really talk much about longer range accuracy. The 220 grain Remington subsonic rounds are slightly shorter and don't fit the best in PMAGs but I haven't really played with different mages to see what works best. It's definitely a fun round to shoot and everyone always wants to try it out.

I like it. I was skeptical at first but after playing around with it, it really grew on me. I only shoot supersonic. For plinking I'm using 125 gr SMK's loaded with 18.2 gr W296, moving around 2100 fps at the muzzle out of an 11.4" barrel. For other than plinking, I'm using 110 gr Barnes Tac-Tx with 19.2 gr W296, moving around 2300 fps at the muzzle. If you decide to go subsonic, Lehigh Defense makes an awesome Controlled Fracturing bullet that has crazy expansion at subsonic velocities. One of the nice things about this cartridge is that its designed to completely burn its powder at 9" so its perfect for shorter barrels.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php/shop/ammunition/maximum-expansion

ME_Group_Shot_Reducedsize.jpg

Attachments

• ME_Group_Shot_Reducedsize.jpg
    ME_Group_Shot_Reducedsize.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 17
I plan to order a Noveske 300blk soon. Im just trying to decide on barrel length 8.2 or 10.5

I have 3 blackouts 8.5 inch pistol , 16 inch carbine , and a remington 700 . it is a very addictive round . If you plan on a suppressor the shorter the barrel the better for handling . the best advise I can give is check out 300 black talk , You can find alot of info there . I have killed deer with the 8.5 inch with outlaw state 220 grain subs and with 110 grain varmageddons out of my remington .

It's a really neat and versatile round. Very useful in 8" and 10.5" configurations.

Good luck getting that Sota barrel to cycle. Open up the gas port to .125(or at least .110) before you ever assemble it. Its basically impossible to over gas a carbine gas 16" barrel in the 300BLK.

That is the biggest complaint I see with 300BLK is that it wont cycle, wont lock the bolt back, etc... and as soon as the person opens up the gas port(after trying countless other things like lighter buffers, cutting springs, etc...) the gun magically cycles. My thought is that most manufacturers simply dont spend any time researching gas ports(or testing their barrels for that matter) for 300blk and simply spec something for .223, which is far to small for 300BLK.

I agree it can be finicky. I started with a 10.5 barrel with a carbine gas system. I couldn't get it to run. I switched to a 10.5 in barrel with a pistol length gas system, and that seems to work well. I also have a 16in barrel with carbine system that had some problems until I put over 100 rounds through it and went to a heavy extractor spring. I'm still holding my breath though. It seems to be tougher to get the 300 to run than the .223. On the plus side, my deer gun this year is an SPR. : ) I wouldn't even think about hunting deer with a 10.5 inch .223. Commenting on an earlier post, the recoil seems almost double the .223 to me. It is still very little all things considered.