• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 AAC Blackout

KFinnell81

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Rome, GA.
So I am wanting to convert my Remington 700, that is chambered in 270, to the new 300 AAC blackout round. Remington has the barrel now and its at midway usa. What type of difficulty are we talking about. I have put together many AR's, but not any bolt actions. Special tools? Better off going to a gunsmith? Any info feedback helps. Thanks!

Re: 300 AAC Blackout

Sell the 270.

Not sure if there are factory chambered 300 blackouts but your 270 has the wrong bolt head size, too big of feed ramps and it's a long action.

There are a few threads about it here, rsilvers is the expert.

ditto, what you want is a short action with a 5.56mm bolt face.

Stupid question but we are talking about .223 right. I haven't seen an off the shelf Rem 700 in 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid question but we are talking about .223 right. I haven't seen an off the shelf Rem 700 in 5.56.</div></div>

The bolt face needs to be .378". That can be any number of calibers (17 rem, 221fb, 222, 223, 222 rem mag, ect) for 700's.

Best to get a fireball action, 22 or 17 and convert that. The extractors are located differently and work better with the short 300blk case.

Have a smith install it, they are not drop in and require headspacing by grinding down the lug.