• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .300 ACC Blackout Reamer & Gauges Available

reamers4u

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
We have been authorized by AAC to offer the 300 AAC BLACKOUT to the general public. Please contact Pacific Tool & Gauge Inc. for more information regarding pricing and availability on reamers and gauges!
Pacific Tool & Gauge Inc. http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.htm

Pacific-Tool-and-Gauge-Logo-with-R-and-W-Bomber-Girl.png

Re: .300 ACC Blackout Reamer & Gauges Available

From the public disclosure I read it's a ballistic twin to the 7.62x39 and is designed around the idea of a heavier hitting AR upper and maintain the capability to shoot 120-240gr bullets from 2400 down to subsonic speeds.

wow, a brand new cartridge! to bad jd jones thought it up years ago. well at least well get factory whisper ammo on a regular basis now.

there has to be a slight diference to the case so they can sell it without paying JD Jones but there would not be any diference in performance. i wonder if SSk will take them to court as they have taken most of the 300 whisper desighn and are trying to sell it as a head to head to the whisper,

allright, after reading more, its pretty cool of remington to release it to the public and not try to keep it exclusive like ssk, or just impossible to get like the kac pdw stuff. good move remington.

This might be the round that finally makes me build a SBR.

Any chance of seeing this at the APA shoot tomorrow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the round that finally makes me build a SBR.

Any chance of seeing this at the APA shoot tomorrow? </div></div>

Yes, AAC will have both the 9 inch 416 and a 16 inch Model-7 bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the round that finally makes me build a SBR.

Any chance of seeing this at the APA shoot tomorrow? </div></div>

Yes, AAC will have both the 9 inch 416 and a 16 inch Model-7 bolt gun. </div></div>

They sure did. The 9" was a pleasure to shoot, I'll be putting in a order for one right after I get my lower SBR'd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a piece of fired brass....

Will offer a reward... </div></div>

I happen to have a piece of fired brass, lets talk money here
smile.gif

Mers with 300 AAC BLACKOUT upper w/762-SDN-6, subsonic vs. supersonic.

Ti-RANT 9mm on Glock 19 w/147gr subsonic compared to 762-SDN-6 on 300 AAC BLACKOUT upper w/220gr subsonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a piece of fired brass....

Will offer a reward... </div></div>
Haha, I went to APA customer appreciation day and AAC bought the .300Blackout with 9" barrel + 7.62 SD to show off. They let everybody shoot the .300Blackout try it. I'd fired a few rounds and the recoil feel like those of .223.
I picked up some fired brass,came home and stick a .30 cal Sierra 168 gr bullet into the case. This is not the real ammo and I don't have any load data.
IMG_1120-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice to know what the difference is from 300 whisper....

This cartridge might be short lived....JD Jones might want a check in the mail over this.</div></div>

This.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OregonShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice to know what the difference is from 300 whisper....

This cartridge might be short lived....JD Jones might want a check in the mail over this.</div></div>

This. </div></div>

I'm sure JD Jones will have fun with Remington/AACs parent company then.

So ya...thats going to be a one sided battle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonAAC Via Silencertalk.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Some initial reloading info:

If you load your own ammo, pay special attention to all of the normal safety practices. Recommended powder for most supersonic loads is Hodgdon H110.

For subsonic, there are special requirements and nearly all published loads are non-optimal for the 300 BLK upper. Many existing loads were developed for Thompson Center® single-shot pistols, or for ARs by people not aware of the magazine limitations. These loads pay no attention to automatic rifle function and should not be used. Look for a load which results in a cyclic rate of 700 rpm or more. AA1680 is recommended because its bulk density matches the case capacity and it will generate enough gas pressure to cycle the weapon.

Suggested subsonic load:

• R-P 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass
• Remington 7.5 primers
• 11.2 grains of AA 1680 powder
• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020
• Sierra 220 MK loaded to 2.089 OAL (this length is optimal for reliable feeding from USGI magazines)
• Chamber pressure 21,100 psi.

Existing AR magazines have a rib which normally contacts the 5.56mm case-neck. With 300 BLK ammo, the contact is on the bullet. Because the bullet is a larger diameter, the rib will push the cartridges out of alignment, and can lead to binding potentially resulting in Failures to Feed. For this reason, it is important to load ammunition so that the contact point with the magazine rib is on the bullet ogive in an area of about 0.250 inch diameter. Here are some suggested OAL for popular bullets:

• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000
• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL
• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
• Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL
• Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

</div></div>

Don't know if it made it over here yet or not.

Thanks jr_v,

Did they answer the big question about what makes it different than the 300 Fireball? I'm not seeing it.

looks like someone jammed a .30 cal into a shorty .223 case.

looks funny.

Question:

Is 300 AAC BLACKOUT a standardized version the 300-221 Remington Fireball Wildcat?

Answer:

300 Remington Fireball wildcats are typically capable of doing everything that 300 AAC BLACKOUT does, but there was no SAAMI standard and that prevented major companies from making products for it. JD Jones's pioneering work, which he Trademarked as 300 Whisper®, has helped bring attention to the concept of a 300-221 Remington Fireball based solution as an excellent 30-cal cartridge for both supersonic and subsonic performance when used in the AR platform as well as in bolt guns. 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a standardized version of the 300-221 Remington Fireball Wildcat, and has been submitted to SAAMI.

Question:

Can existing loads for 300 Whisper®, 300-221, or 300 Remington Fireball be shot in 300 AAC BLACKOUT guns?

Answer:

We did not purposely make it incompatible with 300 Remington Fireball, but because there was no standard for the 300-221 or 300 Remington Fireball, and because the 300 Whisper® is proprietary and unpublished, that is not something we can decide or guarantee. The maker of the ammo must ensure that their ammo meets all of the specs for 300 AAC BLACKOUT in order to use it. Even if it is safe to shoot, it may be too long to work well in AR15 magazines due to the magazine 'rib', may have a powder inappropriate for AR-based 300 AAC BLACKOUT firearms, or may have a bullet design which only feeds in single shot firearms. We recommend ammunition specifically designed for 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

Question:

Can existing rifles in 300 Whisper®, 300-221, or 300 Remington Fireball shoot 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammunition?

Answer:

We did not purposely make it incompatible but the maker of the firearm or barrel needs to verify and guarantee that their chamber meets the specs for the 300 AAC BLACKOUT chamber.

rsilvers,

Much appreciated! Is there a reamer spec out to compare? I just had a 300 whisper barrel made by TP555 but have not built the gun up so I'm curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JasonAAC Via Silencertalk.com said:
• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000
• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL
• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
• Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL
• Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

</div></div>

Its looking suspiciously whisperesque as...These oals are real (as in real ,real) close to what my PTG whisper reamer cuts now.

At 35 mm you are 1.378 which puts you .023 longer than the whispers 1.355 trim to length, where my reammer allows for 1.4 ish (35.56mm)

H110 and AA 1680 are two of my least favorite powders for reloading whispers though.

I'd be curious about gas port diameter and distance from barrel extension to gas port?

Am I getting this right?
You'll be able to shoot 300 AAC in a whisper chamber without issue, but, 300 whisper ammo is a no/go through a 300 Acc chamber by virtue of it being longer in the base to shoulder dimension and from the base to neck/shoulder junction...and a half thou neck diameter?

are you going to be able to get that .3355 neck dim from Lake City brass?

Spook, I dont think that the 300BLK is going to use cut down brass..... I think it will be all new brass produced by Rem, so you dont have to chop brass to make the 300BLK. I believe that it will be available from Midway and Brownells just like any other brass at a reasonable price since its going to be commercially loaded by multiple manufacturers.

So I should be able to resize 300BLK brass in my 300 Whisper dies and not have to cut brass? That would be sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spook, I dont think that the 300BLK is going to use cut down brass..... I think it will be all new brass produced by Rem, so you dont have to chop brass to make the 300BLK. I believe that it will be available from Midway and Brownells just like any other brass at a reasonable price since its going to be commercially loaded by multiple manufacturers. </div></div>

I almost hope that isnt the case (no pun), with all the shortages of this brass and that brass...who needs it? Give me something I can press out of the junk the police leave behind at the range I shoot at and I'll never run out.
"Free brass" was one of the things that got me started on 300 whisper.

If you've ever had to wait for the "seasonal run" to produce 7mm BR or 22 hornet or 221 fireball.... not my idea of a good time.

So, since this is in fact an AAC/Remington offering, is it safe to say the .30 Remington AR is essentially D.O.A.?

300 AAC BLACKOUT is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020 long.

So the case needs to be 1.348 - 1.368.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, since this is in fact an AAC/Remington offering, is it safe to say the .30 Remington AR is essentially D.O.A.? </div></div>

Not at all. This is an AAC project, and is unrelated to any other caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKA-Spook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to be able to get that .3355 neck dim from Lake City brass? </div></div>

300 AAC BLACKOUT is 0.334 max neck diamater of the brass.

I will put the 300 AAC BLACKOUT on a special sale for a week . 125 bucks in HSS and 167 in carbide. Gauges will be 25 each in HSS. Thanks Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKA-Spook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to be able to get that .3355 neck dim from Lake City brass? </div></div>

300 AAC BLACKOUT is 0.334 max neck diamater of the brass.

</div></div>

Good point, I forgot to subtract .0015 for clearance from the reamer print... is .334 available without neck turning from Lake City 5.56 brass?

So how long till we find out if there will be a suit filed by JD/SSK so they can get paid and they squash this entire deal? Just because it wasn't submitted to SAAMI doesn't mean it isn't infringement?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how long till we find out if there will be a suit filed by JD/SSK so they can get paid and they squash this entire deal? Just because it wasn't submitted to SAAMI doesn't mean it isn't infringement? </div></div>
sir, are you familiar with "The Freedom Group"? if not i would get familiar before you spout idiocies like that again. i don't think JD Jones or SSK has 1/100th the capital they have.

I spoke to Dave the owner of Pacific tool and gauge yesterday; the only thing you have to do to 300 whisper brass is trim the neck length down 9-14 thousands and it will then work in the blackout.

I ordered my 300 blackout reamers and gauges for the run of barrels we are starting in a couple of weeks both 9” and 16” Lilja 1-8 stainless barrels.

As soon as I find out the proper way to advertise on the forum; I will offer discounts to members and gunsmithing services.

Yikes. Trimming 300 Whisper brass, without measuring, would be a mistake.

300 AAC BLACKOUT brass is:

Case length is 1.368" +0.000 -0.020

There is no infringement of SSK.

In the 1970s, there was an experimental round called the T3 made for the Air Force. It was a 300-221 Fireball wildcat. SSK made a version of that and Trademarked the name as 300 Whisper(R). Others made various 30-221 Fireball wildcats but there was no standard, and that made major companies stay away from it. No one owns the concept of necking a 221 Fireball to 30 cal, but SSK owns the name Whisper(R) which he uses to market his. JD Jones deserves credit for sticking with the concept for a long time and believing in it, but would not have any basis for a claim.

I am just passing on what Dave at pacific tool & gauge told me. I figure he would know what he is doing since he makes the reamers for both calibers.

Jones took the .221 fireball case and necked it to .30 cal, going from .22 cal to 30 cal. shorten the round, it took it from a trim length of 1.39 for the fireball to 1.35 and he based his reamer prints on that, also thin out the neck some, some of the reloading manuals have 1.39 as a trim length and other have 1.35, the 300 fireball/30-221 etc... is based on the 300 fireball length of 1.39, i have about 6 guns single shot to full auto in 300 fireball and I'll bet lunch a 300 acc round will drop right in a 300 fireball camber, 300 fireball will be just a little longer but it does headspace on its shoulder, for the record the army did play with the 300 whisper it was SSK guns and there is a limited number of them out there now with them, will be nice to see some commerical brass out there 300 fireball, 300 whisper is a reg. trade mark for J.D. Jones thats why all the companys out there call it by other names, Remington will be fine as long as they don't call it anything whisper, thinking about it the 300 ACC blackout is more of a 300 fireball than 300 whisper based on its length and neck thickness, once the reamer prints come out we will see.

just my .02 as right as wrong as it maybe

P.S. I'm having a sell on 300 ACC Blackout brass, its trimed down .223 brass (i just adjusted my machine to trim just a little more off my 300 fireball brass) LOL

watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ

update: I just measured my Clymer 300 fireball reamer and it for 1.40 case length with that come on remington get us some brass going.

???? are they going stay with the small rifle primer ?? not getting all into the 6.8 spc but first ones were small primers and after some military testing cold weather and all they had to go with a large primer,etc... long story, but anyway

Yes, 300 AAC BLACKOUT will stay with the small primer.

Convention is that whenever case specs are given, the dimension is the max size, and whenever chamber specs are given, that is the min size. So if someone says 300 AAC BLACKOUT is 1.368 case length - that does not mean to trim to that length nor does it mean that is the ideal length. It is the max length.

The length of the 300 AAC BLACKOUT case is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020. That means anything within the range of 1.348 to 1.368 is ok.

The max neck diameter of the brass is 0.334 when loaded with a bullet, and the bullet can be as much as 0.3086 in diameter. That means if you want to be safe for all spec-legal bullets, the case walls must not be over 0.0127 thick (when measured with a ball micrometer).

Is there anywhere I can find a SAMI print on the 300 blackout cartridge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, 300 AAC BLACKOUT will stay with the small primer.

Convention is that whenever case specs are given, the dimension is the max size, and whenever chamber specs are given, that is the min size. So if someone says 300 AAC BLACKOUT is 1.368 case length - that does not mean to trim to that length nor does it mean that is the ideal length. It is the max length.

The length of the 300 AAC BLACKOUT case is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020. That means anything within the range of 1.348 to 1.368 is ok.

The max neck diameter of the brass is 0.334 when loaded with a bullet, and the bullet can be as much as 0.3086 in diameter. That means if you want to be safe for all spec-legal bullets, the case walls must not be over 0.0127 thick (when measured with a ball micrometer).

</div></div>

I have brass from SSK that measures 1.3455 long, does this mean that the brass that JD Jones is selling will work in the new 300 blackout chamber?
I am also wondering if the 300 whisper Corbon ammo I have would be compatible with the blackout chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Selph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anywhere I can find a SAMI print on the 300 blackout cartridge? </div></div>

Generally only SAAMI members have it.