• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout cases

Nick Danger

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
When reloading 300 blackout from different head stamps I have noticed that all the Wolf brass will not fit into the head space gauge after seating the bullet. All of the different head stamps fit the gauge after resizing. It's right at the max for the neck (0.3340) and will not fit into the case gauge after seating the bullet. Most all the other cases yield 0.332 and fit the gauge as they should. I can put these Wolf case bullets into the chamber of the rifle and so far none have gotten stuck... yet. Any thoughts to why this is?

Wall is too thick, causing the neck to bulge when you seat a bullet. Good way to go over pressure if your not careful. Ream the neck to the min wall thickness and try again

Reactions: dnchrist
Wall is too thick, causing the neck to bulge when you seat a bullet. Good way to go over pressure if your not careful. Ream the neck to the min wall thickness and try again
How thick should the walls be? On average I've measured .012 on the ones that fit the gauge after resizing and .014 on the Wolf cases...

I'm wondering if the Wolf cases, when converted from 223 to 300 blkout, have thicker walls farther down from the top of the case? I dont have this issue when reloading the Wolf cases for 223...
Do a volume test or measure with calipers. Will tell you quick if the walls are thicker

I'm wondering if the Wolf cases, when converted from 223 to 300 blkout, have thicker walls farther down from the top of the case? I dont have this issue when reloading the Wolf cases for 223...
Yes, when converting brass I have found, I have to neck turn the cases to have a consistent neck thickness. To me not worth the time, I just buy 300 blackout cases, not processed brass, the processed brass will have the same neck thickness issues.

Yes, when converting brass I have found, I have to neck turn the cases to have a consistent neck thickness. To me not worth the time, I just buy 300 blackout cases, not processed brass, the processed brass will have the same neck thickness issues.
So far just the Wolf converted brass has this problem. But if I could afford the cost of new 300 blk out brass my issue would be solved… 😎

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I’ve NEVER bought a 300BO case, and I’ve been reloading it since 2009/10 ish. I’d just toss the wolf and use the stuff you know works. Tons of 223 brass get trashed or tossed due to bad case mouths or dents in the upper part you won’t use as 300BO brass. If your in with a range that sells pickup brass, they usually toss this stuff as not many will buy it. See if you can get some of that “trash” for your new “treasure”

I’ve NEVER bought a 300BO case, and I’ve been reloading it since 2009/10 ish. I’d just toss the wolf and use the stuff you know works. Tons of 223 brass get trashed or tossed due to bad case mouths or dents in the upper part you won’t use as 300BO brass. If your in with a range that sells pickup brass, they usually toss this stuff as not many will buy it. See if you can get some of that “trash” for your new “treasure”
The reason for reloading the 300 blackout in the first place is because I have 45 lbs of mixed 223/556 brass. So Im going to do just that.... stop with the Wolf cases and move on to the others :cool:

What fired brass have you found that works best?

The best part is once you prep a few thousand cases, you’ll be set for a while. Collect as much as you can when you shoot, and it will last a long time. I’ve settled for finding 70 ish percent of what I shoot, and I’m happy

+1 on this. Working out the primer crimp is a pita, but the brass is very good for BO conversion.
Funny you mention primer crimps. Most alway the Wolf brass needed extra care in removing the crimp. I’ve tried the Dillon crimp remover and that works about 85% of the time I have a Franklin tool that the rotates and allows me to grind it out. Neither works all the time.

RCBS pocket swager was hit or miss for me as well. Hornady prep station does pretty good with it, but some just give you a headache.

Follow the list as prescribed. I had the same issue with Wolf. LC or RP works better. You may run into neck cracks after a couple of firings. Anneal your cases to make them last longer. Stick to .012 neck thickness.

I have one 300 BO which will take anything, including Wolf. I have another which is more finicky.

Remington and lake city can both be converted to blackout without neck reaming.

RCBS pocket swager was hit or miss for me as well. Hornady prep station does pretty good with it, but some just give you a headache.
The RCBS swager that goes on the press works pretty well because you can get better leverage.

1670654160635.png

I use this to take care of the primer pocket crimp. Quick and easy on my RCBS case prep center.

I use this to take care of the primer pocket crimp. Quick and easy on my RCBS case prep center.

Those worked pretty well, but fingers get sore if I've got a lot of cases. I also prefer to push the metal back instead of removing it.

Funny you mention primer crimps. Most alway the Wolf brass needed extra care in removing the crimp. I’ve tried the Dillon crimp remover and that works about 85% of the time I have a Franklin tool that the rotates and allows me to grind it out. Neither works all the time.
I found the RCBS unit that goes on the press like a die works really well, I think because of better leverage.

Reactions: Nick Danger