• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout complete upper, build or buy

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Hey Guys,

Need some guidance here. Should I have a local FFL build a 300 blackout upper for me or buy one from say bushmaster or whoever? Generally, which would be cheaper?

If I have someone locally build it (I can't procure the parts, no one will ship to my shitty state), which component brands should I go with for a middle of the road build, without going crazy on bling. What is important to me is long term reliability and quality.

If I buy one pre-manufactured, I will have to go through the FFL to get it...again, no one will ship.

thanks

Are you in CA?

There's a AAC upper in the classifieds for a decent price. What do you want to use this gun for ? Ie a 9" cqb gun or a 9 or 16" gun for reaching out that needs to be pretty accurate?

No. The East Coast Commie state of CT.

I would like a short barrel, but don't want to deal with NFA stamp and the wait. So, the shortest option is going to be 16". I'm a precision 22 guy, so accuracy is important, but not important enough to flip for a krieger or Bart barrel. This is mostly a gun that I will suppress and keep in the house "in case", since I have no other suppressed weapons.

My other option is to get the CT other rifle purpose built, at the very least that will be around $1200.

I would buy this. 16" 300blk is a waste

image.jpg

Form 1 e-file’s are taking nearly days to weeks max. Get your lower engraved and wait for approval-so worth it. 16” 300BLK is something I’d only consider for hunting. It’s made for short barrels and suppressors. I might just stick with a 556 setup If you must do 16”. Over penetration is definitely something to worry about when your talking about some of the purpose made supersonic HD/hunting rounds for the 300BLK.

Form 1 e-file’s are taking nearly days to weeks max. Get your lower engraved and wait for approval-so worth it. 16” 300BLK is something I’d only consider for hunting. It’s made for short barrels and suppressors. I might just stick with a 556 setup If you must do 16”. Over penetration is definitely something to worry about when your talking about some of the purpose made supersonic HD/hunting rounds for the 300BLK.

Thanks. I'm thinking I will get a dedicated lower, with a 12.5" barrel. I didn't want to buy a whole other gun, but this might be the best option.

Reactions: trob_205
I use my SBR lower on lots of different setups. Doesn’t have to be dedicated or even be an SBR. As long as it’s able to be changed back to form 1 state for the ability sell. That being said my 16” upper is getting ready to get an lower bought for it because I’m sick of switching buffers and springs with the lower change.

No. The East Coast Commie state of CT.

I would like a short barrel, but don't want to deal with NFA stamp and the wait. So, the shortest option is going to be 16". I'm a precision 22 guy, so accuracy is important, but not important enough to flip for a krieger or Bart barrel. This is mostly a gun that I will suppress and keep in the house "in case", since I have no other suppressed weapons.

My other option is to get the CT other rifle purpose built, at the very least that will be around $1200.

$200 and the wait for a Form 1 sbr right now is 15-30 days....

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i have a related question. Can you form 1 a lower you already have to be designated as an sbr? And then, can you swap short barrel and non-short barrel uppers legally on that lower?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i have a related question. Can you form 1 a lower you already have to be designated as an sbr? And then, can you swap short barrel and non-short barrel uppers legally on that lower?
Yes. Any lower can be form 1’d.

Any upper can be on a SBR lower, and it is only legally considered a SBR when sub 16” OAL barreled upper is on it.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
Yes. Any lower can be form 1’d.

Any upper can be on a SBR lower, and it is only legally considered a SBR when sub 16” OAL barreled upper is on it.

I thought if it was ever registered as a rifle, it can't be turned into a SBR. Learned something new.

I thought if it was ever registered as a rifle, it can't be turned into a SBR. Learned something new.
That’s federal pistol law.
You are technically “manufacturing” the SBR when you form 1, not registering. Hence why you need name city state engraved

I reload and shoot .300 blackout on a weekly basis. A quality barrel, trigger and ammunition is key. I've had excellent success with Noveske and Wilson Combat barrels in this caliber. There are many out there so do some homework.

I would buy this. 16" 300blk is a waste

A blanket statement like this is misleading and throws a lot of context out the window. Sure, 300blk burns most of the powder in 8”, but that doesn’t means it won’t go faster out of a longer barrel. If you actually take an objective approach to what your needs (and local restrictions) are, 300blk in a 16” barrel may be a very good choice.

Reactions: trob_205
A blanket statement like this is misleading and throws a lot of context out the window. Sure, 300blk burns most of the powder in 8”, but that doesn’t means it won’t go faster out of a longer barrel. If you actually take an objective approach to what your needs (and local restrictions) are, 300blk in a 16” barrel may be a very good choice.

I shoot my 16" semi-auto, and bolt action, blackout a lot more than my suppressed SBR. It's a great medium game (on par with 7.62x39) taker and a pleasure to shoot. Yes, the pills do indeed leave the barrel more quickly than the short barred version and that includes using traditional pistol caliber powders like H110 and even trailboss.