• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blackout loading data for rem 700 16 inch bbl

leatherman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
Tulsa, OK
ok been trying to search the reloading search feature but not having any luck. can you guys help with loads for the 300 aac blackout. Running a rem 700 16 inch, i have 220 smks and 208 amax. I have varget, w231, unique, bullseye, and red dot on hand. A1680 and h110 are not available. So any help would be great.

Thank you

varget=WAY to slow
W231, Unique, Bullseye, and Red Dot=WAY to fast

You are looking to be from about 60-72 on the Hodgdon burn chart. Some guys have played with fast stuff in bolt guns and gotten ok results, I havent. I have played with 4198 and R7 outside of the basic H110, Lil-Gun and A1680 that most people run. Had good luck with them, but prefer H110, Lil-Gun and A1680.

I've had real good results with N110 in my ar. Ok results with AA9. Haven't tried lil gun yet but I'm looking at faster burning powders now that I have a bolt gun.

H110 or 296 work great for the supersonic loads. (Lighter bullets). I have only used AA1680 with the subsonic heavy bullets. I would not use any of the powers you have listed under heavy subsonic bullets.

ok been trying to search the reloading search feature but not having any luck. can you guys help with loads for the 300 aac blackout. Running a rem 700 16 inch, i have 220 smks and 208 amax. I have varget, w231, unique, bullseye, and red dot on hand. A1680 and h110 are not available. So any help would be great.

head over to 300blktalk.com/forum and take a read through the reloading section. Lots of load data there.

With the bolt gun, you have some options that the gas gun ar-15 crowd does not. I've got a 700 action at home with a 300 barrel haven't started working up loads for it yet, but have run some of my 1680 loads in it, and it was surprisingly quiet.

I think the pistol powders you have are too fast for heavy subs. But might have some application for lighter 125-150 gr use... but unless its just a pinker, subsonic 125's really don't have much energy, and aren't going to be useful on much but paper.

Thanks, gents. I have been all over 300blktalk, found some interesting info, as soon as A1680 hits the shelves again I will be buying some, but right now here in Tulsa, it is nowhere to be found. So just going to have some fun with the supersonic loads. And if I dont like it, just sell the dies and pull the barrel and replace it with a Bartlien 223 barrel and a manners stock.

I have varget, w231, unique, bullseye, and red dot on hand. A1680 and h110 are not available. So any help would be great.

working with 220 SMK, and 1050 as a target velocity.

powder charge pk muz
unique - 5.5 33K 1.4k
bulz 5.0 33k 1.4k
w231 5.8 40k 1.3k

I'd personally like a slower powder, but some of these are possibly viable. The %fill sucks, and ES may be highly erratic, but at 50-150 yds, it might not matter much.

all look possible, but this is all theoretical data... take with 1-lb of salt, Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, consult a doctor before beginning any such program. :p

I've loaded 308 subsonics with unique, red dot, blue dot, and green dot--typically with 220 Hornady's. You could probably make it work in a 300 BLK was well. While I got great sound signature results, the powders were very tempermental to temperature and powder position in the case. Lil' gun and H110/296 will work for a bolt gun in 300 BLK, but what you want is AA1680 whenever it finally materializes. Also, if you go with a lighter bullet, try Trailboss. If I remember my notes correctly, a 220 SKM with a full case of Trailboss and a 16" barrel got me around 750-800 fps. Lighten up the bullet and you can maximize the velocity (and sound signature) with that powder. Your results may be different though...

In my bolt whisper I like lil gun and n110 for the heavy 200g to 260g bullets. 8.5g of lil gun works great with a 220 bullet from my 16 inch.

Those faster pistol powders work great for lighter loadings with bullets under 160g. I use a 150 plated bullet with 4.6g of red dot. It is very very quiet and will shoot around 2 inches at 100 yards. One hell of a cheap plinker and pest thumper. It is the fastest of the powders you have listed, and I have shot a lot of it quite safely. The other powders are even slower, so I would not hesitate to use them.

Varget will not do too well for you I don't think, but that 231, unique, bullseye, and red dot will all work well with lighter bullets. When you try to run them with too heavy a bullet you usually hit pressure signs before you get enough velocity to be effective. You will have to work up/down loads, but they are all very viable. Be careful, pressure goes up quick with those fast pistol powders.

As far as bullets go with the fast powders I use 150 plated or my 170 cast bullets. Even lighter bullets work well too. Less powder, less noise if that is what you are after.

For velocity I do not really try for the 1050 necessarily. I go for the best accuracy as long as the load does not get much below 950 with jacketed. Cast bullets can be tossed even slower without fear of sticking one in the barrel. When I run a bit below 1000 I notice it to be markedly quieter than a 1050 fps load.

When you shoot the sub loads pay extra attention to your shooting. Little mistakes seem to show up more here.

Last edited:
I would look at Dong's in Tulsa for powder. He usually has everything in stock. Not always the best price but they usually have it.

I have had great luck with AA1680 in my gas 300blk. Bolt gun seems to like H4198.