• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blackout questions

Griffin4590

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
Wanting to build a 300blk but before i make the leap I have a few questions. what's the shortest I can go and maintain around 1.5 MOA out to 200. from what I have seen its hard to get a twist that shoots both super and subsonic loads well. I'd like to hunt deer and pigs with it and would like to stay subsonic but wonder if bullets would expand at that slow speed. I reload so finding ammo wont be an issue.
Any info would be great!
Thanks

Re: 300 blackout questions

Probably 6 inches is the shortest you can go but most people would do 8-9 inches. At least for normal ammo. I don't see any hope of getting subsonic to shoot 1.5 MOA at 200 yards.

I have not seen it being hard to find one twist that will shoot both supersonic and subsonic well - though I have heard of people thinking it is hard to find one twist that will shoot both well. I would suggest 1/7 twist.

There are a few bullets that are said to expand at subsonic speeds.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78878

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanting to build a 300blk but before i make the leap I have a few questions. what's the shortest I can go and maintain around 1.5 MOA out to 200. from what I have seen its hard to get a twist that shoots both super and subsonic loads well. I'd like to hunt deer and pigs with it and would like to stay subsonic but wonder if bullets would expand at that slow speed. I reload so finding ammo wont be an issue.
Any info would be great!
Thanks</div></div> - The shortest barrel you can go is 8"
I run a Noveske 10" and it is sub MOA out to 300 yards.

- A 1-8 twist rate is fine for both subsonic and supersonic loadings.
Those that say that this twist rate "over stabilizes" a supersonic round are completely full of shit.

- Subsonic expanding bullets are available, but are fairly expensive.
Outlaw State Bullets are the ones that immediately come to mind. http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html
They can have issues with feeding properly in an AR though.
AAC / Freedom Group plans on developing several new 300 BLK specific bullets over the next couple years and the expanding subsonic bullet is one of them.

Plug in the numbers to a ballistic program and check out the wind drift for a 110 grain V-max moving at 2200 fps muzzle velocity. I've shot mine out to 350 yards, but with a shifty 10 mph wind, it's difficult.
-Dan

I have shot 220 subs out to 300 on steel without too much trouble. Rainbow trajectory of course, but not bad. 100 and 200 are very easy and from what I have seen more than capable of good groups.

I never shot any super sonics though...