• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blackout sbr upper recommendations

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
Hey everyone, I am looking into getting a 300 blackout upper. I want to keep it short, 9-12 inches.
I have googled as much as possible but in-depth or non-biased (not paid ) experiences are few.

At this point it would just be for the range.

As a starter upper, would you recommend just a bcm upper ($600), vs midway industries? Or is there another company you like?

Daniel defense looks good but costs about $1150. At that point you are 2/3 of the way to a Knight's Armament.

Building is a possibility, but not sure if a $300 dollar barrel vs a cheaper one would pay in accuracy or longevity in this caliber (I don't reload at this point).

Anyway, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

The BCM uppers are $600 but don’t include BCG’s. Those are extra, so it’s not a complete upper. The DD only comes in a 10.3” whereas BCM has the 9.4” or something like that.

I would either go BCM or go KAC. The DD has a Mk18 barrel length and the point of 300blk is to run shorter barrels.

BCM all the way.

There are options to add a BCG and CH on the same page. I have many BCM uppers and I have never had an issue or been disappointed with BCM.

My 2 cents: BCM, Sons of Liberty, or Sionics. Excellent QC on all, and customer support for all of them is awesome. Best part in my experience is all 3 stand behind their products.

I have an AAC 10.5 inch runs fine suppressed or not subs / super no problems. Does run dirty as hell suppressed but no malfunctions.

Reactions: KML7201
Hey everyone, I am looking into getting a 300 blackout upper. I want to keep it short, 9-12 inches.
I have googled as much as possible but in-depth or non-biased (not paid ) experiences are few.

At this point it would just be for the range.

As a starter upper, would you recommend just a bcm upper ($600), vs midway industries? Or is there another company you like?

Daniel defense looks good but costs about $1150. At that point you are 2/3 of the way to a Knight's Armament.

Building is a possibility, but not sure if a $300 dollar barrel vs a cheaper one would pay in accuracy or longevity in this caliber (I don't reload at this point).

Anyway, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
I dont for a minute believe the point of a 300 blackout is a very short barrel, ut is to run suppressed and unsuppressed, supersonic and subsonic.

Very short barrels mean very short rails. I hate short rails. No room to stretch out my grip, fit IR laser/illuminator, etc. I had a single Bartlein blank turned by CLE to make 2 custom 300 barrels. This made the barrels about $300 each and I split with a coworker who bought the other barrel. Have the barrel but not mounted it yet. Actually got an 11.5" length to run a 10" rail. A 9" barrel is just an impractical toy to me.

If you dont reload I would not worry about barrel life. You wont shoot enough for it to matter, 300 blackout is expensive compared to 223. It is also not a barrel burning cartridge.

I dont for a minute believe the point of a 300 blackout is a very short barrel, ut is to run suppressed and unsuppressed, supersonic and subsonic.

Very short barrels mean very short rails. I hate short rails. No room to stretch out my grip, fit IR laser/illuminator, etc. I had a single Bartlein blank turned by CLE to make 2 custom 300 barrels. This made the barrels about $300 each and I split with a coworker who bought the other barrel. Have the barrel but not mounted it yet. Actually got an 11.5" length to run a 10" rail. A 9" barrel is just an impractical toy to me.

If you dont reload I would not worry about barrel life. You wont shoot enough for it to matter, 300 blackout is expensive compared to 223. It is also not a barrel burning cartridge.
The parent of the .300 BLK is the .300 Whisper, the parent of the .300 whisper is the .221 fireball, which was designed specifically around a 10 inch barrel.
The primary advantages of the blk are the ability to run an SBR with subsonic or ultrasonic, suppressed or unsuppressed, without needing an adjustable gas block.
Once you get above 12" barrel length, you start hitting the point of diminishing returns.
A 9" barrel with a suppressor is an excellent entry or HD weapon, you don't normally run with your arms extended when clearing rooms (though some do).

Reactions: Snuby642
I've had an 8" complete Aero upper in 300blk for several years now. It wears a suppressor, a T2, and shoots supersonic ammo. I have killed many, many hogs with it. Never had a single hiccup.

With that being said, if you're okay with spending BCM money then do that and don't look back.

Get the side charging upper for an SBR, you will love it!

Side charging upper

i-2CwWk6L-L.jpg

Last edited: