• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 blackout SBR

mikethetiger55

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2014
Looking for some input on a .300 blackout SBR. Intended use is primarily hog hunting but it will also see duty as a truck gun. Initial search has me down to the Noveske chainsaw, Wilson Combat , POF Renegade +, or possibly Daniel Defense. Looking at barrels in the 10.5" range and it will eventually be run suppressed.

Gut has me leaning towards the Noveske but I also really like the POF for various features such as the adjustable gas block. I know POF generally gets a bad rap here but I own a few and have one of their early 6.5 creedmores that is a hammer ( rock creek barrel). I also have a .556 Noveske that I really like.

Any experience with the above mentioned or is there something else I should consider? My main focus is accuracy. All of the above seem to run about the same price of $2k.

Thanks

You can build a lot of gun for $2k. And, an eform1 will come in several months before a form4. Build it and keep it in “pistol” config (no stock) until the form is approved. Have it engraved, Put the stock of your choice on it, and hit the range.

The POF runs really well. You can get complete uppers from Central Florida Gun and Tactical. There's either the DI renegade or P415 Edge piston upper and both are 10.5" barrels. I have the 12.5" 5.56 piston upper and it's absolutely fantastic. I also have a Revolution DI in .308 which has been flawless since day one. Can throw their uppers on any lower although the Gen4 POF lowers are my favorite.

With that said...I'd also look really hard at the Sig MCX Spear LT. I've had one since February and it's fantastic. No complaints other than the fast barrel twist (1:5). From a safety standpoint, it kinda necessitates running solid projectiles for supersonic rounds if you're running suppressed. It only has two gas settings but so far so good, it's cycled everything I've thrown at it. It's a 9" barrel and with the folding stock, it's incredibly compact.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikethetiger55
PWS MK109 is what you seek. I have a nice DI 300BLK out. Started out with adjustable gas block and various buffer weights. I could never get through 3 mags without malfunctions with the suppressor on. I eventually just stuck a fixed block and a "blast diffuser" on the front and made it a truck gun. My 13" SCAR on the other hand can go through several hundred rounds without any residue anywhere.

Last edited:
I have this PWS Mk109 .300 BLKO; 9.75” 1:8 twist on a Law Tactical folder. Mounting an Eotech and zeroing @ 50 M the other day.
Initial results with 147 gr FMJ and 220 gr sub's. The Gorilla 147's clocked @ 1820 fps.
IMG_7088PWS Mk109 .300 BLKO Eotech Zero 50 Meters Cracker Swamp 05.08.23  copy.jpg
IMG_7030Eotech XPS3-0 LaRue LT110 QD Mount PWS .300 BO SBR 05.02.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7097PWS Mk109 .300 BLKO Eotech Zero 50 Meters Cracker Swamp 05.08.23  copy.jpg
IMG_7093PWS Mk109 .300 BLKO Eotech Zero 50 Meters Cracker Swamp 05.08.23  copy.jpg
IMG_7090PWS Mk109 .300 BLKO Eotech Zero 50 Meters Cracker Swamp 05.08.23  copy.jpg

Or order an integrally suppressed upper from SWS Rifles and plop it onto whatever lower you have kicking about. It’ll make it a one tax stamp gun since you won’t need an SBR stamp.

I’ve had a chance to pop rounds off from half a dozen of their rifles. Reliable and accurate.

Having messed with 300blk for years I'll give you 2 pieces of advice; especially if accuracy is your main focus (your brand choices are all good options) ; #1. Match the bullet weight to the twist rate. Many, including me, have wasted lots of time and rounds because we didn't understand the relationship between the two. If you're running primarily subs/heavies go with a 1/5-1/7 twist but don't expect to run 125gr supers accurately as they will overstabilize and vice versa; if you want to run 125 supers go with a 1/8-1/10 twist. #2. Run some kind of magnification. Don't believe the BS that 300blk is a 100yd gun. I know it's not a long range caliber but it's very capable at MUCH greater distances. With the optics and projectiles we have available these days you can really push 300blk pretty far for what it is.

I built a .300 BLK SBR out of all Noveske parts and am very happy with it. Cost was just under $3k a few years back which does not include the silencer. I wen with the DA Nomad-30 direct thread. The rifle has been rock solid with 220gr subsonic ammo. I haven't shot it for groups... surprisingly. But it's been great on the range for me.

DJT_6047.jpeg

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
Re-zeroing the KAC SR30 9.5" w/Eotech XPS2 Green (non magnified) @ 50 meters this morning. Gorilla 147 gr FMJ (1,788 fps) and Sig 220 gr subsonics (825 fps).
IMG_7380KAC SR-30 9.5" EOTECH ZERO 50 METERS CRACKER SWAMP 05.29.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7373KAC SR-30 9.5" EOTECH ZERO 50 METERS CRACKER SWAMP 05.29.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7374KAC SR-30 9.5" EOTECH ZERO 50 METERS CRACKER SWAMP 05.29.23 copy.jpg

I have two DD PDWs in 300 Blk. They have never had so much as a hiccup and are great little firearms.

I have a Q Mini Fix in 300 Blk and it is currently sporting a 223 barrel. The firearm had to go back to Q once and then the bolt had to go back a second time for the recall. In total, it was not available to shoot for about 4 months. They fixed the problem but you could only contact them by email. FYI - I do really like the Mini Fix now that it works. It is a blast to shoot.

In contrast, I have had zero problems with the PDW. I did call Daniel Defense one time with a question about removing the muzzle device. I was talking to an actual person in like 30 seconds. This person was not condescending and was very helpful. Having a manufacturer that is easily accessible to me is a HUGE benefit. Unfortunately, this seems to be getting more difficult to find.

I have a Noveske Ghetto Blaster, run a Deadair Nomad on it. One of my favorite guns, shooting subsonic ammo is a blast. I have an ACOG with 300BLK reticle on it

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 196
The POF runs really well. You can get complete uppers from Central Florida Gun and Tactical. There's either the DI renegade or P415 Edge piston upper and both are 10.5" barrels. I have the 12.5" 5.56 piston upper and it's absolutely fantastic. I also have a Revolution DI in .308 which has been flawless since day one. Can throw their uppers on any lower although the Gen4 POF lowers are my favorite.

With that said...I'd also look really hard at the Sig MCX Spear LT. I've had one since February and it's fantastic. No complaints other than the fast barrel twist (1:5). From a safety standpoint, it kinda necessitates running solid projectiles for supersonic rounds if you're running suppressed. It only has two gas settings but so far so good, it's cycled everything I've thrown at it. It's a 9" barrel and with the folding stock, it's incredibly compact.

Any idea where to find the factory sleletonized stock that come on the sbr version in coyote or whatever the factory color is on the entire rifle?

I have the OG AAC MPW in the 9" flavor. It has a 1:7 twist barrel and it has shot both subs and supers consistently. I admittedly shoot supers (110 Barnes mostly) 99% of the time from it these days, but it has never given me an issue with stabilizing supers even though it leans towards a faster twist rate. I have taken white tail at 170 with it as well and I even surprisingly took down a quality Aoudad with it last season at 115 yds, all with the same 110's.

gnKYs4v.jpg

Barnes Vor-TX 110gr at 160 yards with Eotech.

RdM6IQP.jpg

Same load inside of 100, just brutal on pigs and always around 1 moa.

3BrLyUj.jpg

Aoudad I shot this past deer season while taking a crap under the blind during a cold front.

hmXNs5j.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg

Two white tail it harvested last season.

d2TtyDF.jpg

It'll likely vary a bit by batch. My Sig's upper borders on being green vs. coyote and I've bought into the 50 shades of FDE so nothing matches. The PMM stock is a bit more "earthy" in tone than the Sig anodized lower and more brown than the upper. An exact match it will not be.

So I ended up ordering a 10.5" Noveske Chainsaw pistol from Modern Warriors out of Utah. Including a sweet 4th of July discount, I don't know if I could have built one cheaper. Will plan on paying the tax man to SBR it once it comes in. Appreciate all of the responses. I'll get a range report up hopefully in the near future.

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
I have the OG AAC MPW in the 9" flavor. It has a 1:7 twist barrel and it has shot both subs and supers consistently. I admittedly shoot supers (110 Barnes mostly) 99% of the time from it these days, but it has never given me an issue with stabilizing supers even though it leans towards a faster twist rate. I have taken white tail at 170 with it as well and I even surprisingly took down a quality Aoudad with it last season at 115 yds, all with the same 110's.

gnKYs4v.jpg

RdM6IQP.jpg

3BrLyUj.jpg

Aoudad I shot this past deer season while taking a crap under the blind during a cold front.

hmXNs5j.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg

d2TtyDF.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I too run Barnes 110s from a suppressed 10.5” home brew sbr to hunt with. Took 5 good does with it last year. A couple were bang flops.

I have been hesitant to use it in the field we hunt with 2-300y shots available though.

What was the distance on the whitetails pictured? Blood trail? Tracking?

Thanks for sharing. I too run Barnes 110s from a suppressed 10.5” home brew sbr to hunt with. Took 5 good does with it last year. A couple were bang flops.

I have been hesitant to use it in the field we hunt with 2-300y shots available though.

What was the distance on the whitetails pictured? Blood trail? Tracking?

121 yards and 137 yards. The 121 deer ran about 15 yards and bled out, the 137 deer stood straight up on his back legs and then fell over on the spot.

Looking for some input on a .300 blackout SBR. Intended use is primarily hog hunting but it will also see duty as a truck gun. Initial search has me down to the Noveske chainsaw, Wilson Combat , POF Renegade +, or possibly Daniel Defense. Looking at barrels in the 10.5" range and it will eventually be run suppressed.

Gut has me leaning towards the Noveske but I also really like the POF for various features such as the adjustable gas block. I know POF generally gets a bad rap here but I own a few and have one of their early 6.5 creedmores that is a hammer ( rock creek barrel). I also have a .556 Noveske that I really like.

Any experience with the above mentioned or is there something else I should consider? My main focus is accuracy. All of the above seem to run about the same price of $2k.

Thanks

*** Nevermind, I see this is an old thread someone brought back up... But I'm going to leave this here anyway, maybe it will help someone else...

Some might laugh, but honestly, I have one of these, and a buddy has one, too, and they are both tack-drivers with subsonic ammo, and have no problems hitting 5" gongs consistently at 200 yards with subs. It's not expensive, but it's a solid upper for a great price. Add in one of their NiB BCG's and a nice charging handle, and you're set.

I know some might laugh about it being on a PSA lower, but I have to admit, that lower has some very impressively tight tolerances for being a PSA. There's virtually zero play between that upper and lower, and it was almost like they were made for each other, which is why I chose that lower for that upper after trying several others from my other guns. That little pistol is a tack-driver in this configuration. I'm running my DA Sandman-S MIL-Contract on it with a JMac Customs 5/8-24 Radial KeyMicro brake (shorter than regular KeyMo). I haven't SBR'd it yet, but so far I'm covered under the FPC Injuction, so I'm rolling with the braces for now. If it gets thrown out by the Supreme Court, then I'm still going to keep rocking the braces instead of the extra paperwork on them. I'd rather have a brace and treat it like a handgun and be able to take it anywhere, then have to stamp it, and not be able to cross state lines without permission. It just keeps things simpler.

tempImage1i14Ei.pngIMG_4925.jpeg
IMG_5077.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vynz

gnKYs4v.jpg

RdM6IQP.jpg

3BrLyUj.jpg

hmXNs5j.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg

d2TtyDF.jpg

Have you tried the Barnes 120s? If so, how’d they perform for you?

Only shot hogs inside 100 yds with those, so likely almost anything would have worked, but while effective, I really didn’t see much difference between the 110s and 120s, and the 110s tend to be more accurate …from my guns anyway.

Problem with the Barnes 110 black tips is I can hardly ever find them in stock any more, so I’m basically hoarding them now.

Have tried the Hornady 110s with good effect…just as accurate, or possibly even more accurate on paper, but not quite as good as the Barnes on pigs in my experience.

1695527204868.jpeg

Just grabbed some of the PSA 110s because they were frankly too cheap to pass up; even if they’re crap, they’re likely at least a good plinking round, and if they work well, then all the better! They look like they’re loaded with Hornady bullets, but not 100% sure.

edit: I still load and shoot a lot of 300 BLK...a lot! LoL

1695527304622.jpeg

Last edited:
I opted to build a few, here is one of them. The heart is a KAK Industries 8.5-inch blondie barrel, 1:8 twist. I shoot supers exclusively, being in a no-suppressor state. It does very well with 110-, 115-, 120-, 125-grain bullets. I am going to start messing with 165s and 168 soon. Here are a couple targets from tonight, 50-yard indoor range, each with 10 Speer 110-grain soft points. non-adjustable gas block, never any issues with cycling. A pleasure to shoot. It wears various optics. Pictured is an Athlon Helos BTR 2-12x42.
image0 (7).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg
image1 (5).jpeg