• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 blackout scope, Horus?

Jeepocabra

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
Idaho
I'm assembling a 300 blackout for a fun gun to go along with my suppressor and have been looking for a suitable scope for it. I have it somewhat narrowed down but just came across the Horus Hawk with the h425 reticle. After doing some searching here it appears that Horus has a bad rep for quality, However it looks like this mainly with the higher priced scopes they offer.

I like that the h425 allows for better holdover use especially with the 300's trajectories. The only other scope that comes close to having a similar reticle and price is the HDMR that is now hard to find.

Does anyone have any experience with this scope or should I just hold out and find a used HDMR with a h59 or 58, or go more traditional with a scope choice.

Re: 300 blackout scope, Horus?

There are Horus reticles in non-Horus scopes and also similar "Christmas tree" type reticles.

For example, Nightforce H58 and Velocity 1000, Leupold CMR, and Vortex EBR-2 reticles. There are probably others as well.

Subsonic 300 has a heck of a lot of drop. Whatever scope you get, you should probably get a scope mount with cant.

For my particular application of shooting steel targets, I prefer dialing it in.

The problem with all the other scopes with that type of ret is the cost. This Horus is sub $700 the NF, Vortex, and Leup are all $1000+

For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle.

I have a SWFA SS 3-9 mil quad on an EGW 20 MOA base. It has been able to get me out to 480 yards with a maxed turret and using holdovers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR 2.5-10 FFP is also good, 15 mils of drop on the reticle.

Not sub $700 though. </div></div>

I am using this scope on a whisper bolt gun with great results.

I used a SN3 H25 on a 300AAC bolt action for a few months, was able to make 700 yards with 225gr sub sonics, elevation and hold was maxed.I think the H58 in an HDMR would be a good fit.

I believe Leupold has a scope/reticle combo made for the 300BLK, might take a look at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle. </div></div>Nor do I.

The Aimpoint serves me just fine for the entire useful range of my .300 BLK running subs. If Florida allowed suppressors while hunting I might use a different scope with supers out to 300 yards.

Nah, I'd just throw the can on my Grendel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle. </div></div>Nor do I.

The Aimpoint serves me just fine for the entire useful range of my .300 BLK running subs. If Florida allowed suppressors while hunting I might use a different scope with supers out to 300 yards.

Nah, I'd just throw the can on my Grendel. </div></div>

Really?

Perhaps physics works differently in FL than in TX. My 300 subs (usually a 208-amax or 220 RN) drop like a cheerleader on prom night. Having clearly marked drop on the vertical is immensely helpful. Sure, a 100 yard shot with a 100 yard zero is easy, but what about 50 yard shots? Or 200 yard shots? Maybe it's just my 300, but dope on a 200 yard shot is rather significant (4.7 mils), and wind can move that slow moving hunk of metal pretty dramatically.

Perhaps I expect too much, but I see no reasonable scenario that would have me putting a 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot sight on a 1 MOA gun that requires rather precise shot placement.

If it works for you, rock on. Personally, I love Aimpoints, but wouldn't consider it for a 300 shooting subs. As shots can be quick and time spinning up dope isn't always possible, I like the 15 mils of vertical drop on my IOR optic.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.