• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing 300 Blackout still cracks with factory Rem ammo

ROCKer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
Madison,MS
We took the 300 Blackout the other morning and tried it out on some does. We took does at 95, 117, and 142 yards. Every shot that was in the head and they went straight down. The Remington factory subsonic ammo still cracks a little bit and I guess I need to hand load some slower. Does anyone know if the Hornady factory ammo is quieter?

I removed the video links due to the comments received. I am really looking for feedback on getting a quiet solution to harvesting does in a very over populated environment.

Re: Doe killing with the 300 Blackout! Still cracks?

Head...Really??? Good shooting...but that's an irresponsible placement. youtube deer head shots and take a look at why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Head...Really??? Good shooting...but that's an irresponsible placement. youtube deer head shots and take a look at why. </div></div>

Those who can't, bitch about it.

This isn't a hunting forum. This is a Marksman Forum. A lot of people here put the time and energy in knowing their weapon and limitations. Head shots on a deer at 90-150 yards isn't huge deal.

good point, but still unethical. save the self affirmation for the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Head...Really??? Good shooting...but that's an irresponsible placement. youtube deer head shots and take a look at why. </div></div>

Those who can't, bitch about it.
</div></div>

Some have the skills but behave ethically to boot.

Guy that hunts near me was bragging 2 years ago about shooting a deer in the head. Last year I was trying to help him track down the one he shot the jaw off.

I really wish that this site prohibited the discussion of "ethics" of hunting.

Nice shooting...what style bullet does that load employ?

I would imagine that a soft-cast bullet would be kind of nice for this kind of work; might act a lot like a .30-30 Win. What about using some of the heavier (150-200g) ".30-30" bullets; soft roundnose/flatpoint with thin jackets? Like Sierra bullet #2135 or #2010? http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?s...mp;bullettype=0

I'd assume that these loads are not intended for over 150 yard hunting use anyway?

(or, what I would do is just load whatever was quiet and accurate and keep poking 'em in the head as long as you know your limits.)

Keep us posted.

-The Kid.

Edited to add: What are the specs of your current load? Bullet design and weight? I'm very curious about this whole .30 cal subsonic world.

I love how it's only when someone makes a great hit (on video!), the keyboard commandos come out to poopoo the judgment of the shooter. If a 100yd head shot on deer sized game scares you, you can't shoot. ROCKer rocks!

I'm shooting the Remginton Factory Subsonic Ammo. Here's the ammo description.

Designed to launch 30 caliber bullets from AR-style platforms, the 300 AAC Blackout (300 BLK) subsonic rifle ammunition Open-Tip Match (OTM) bullets shoot better than a 9mm MP5 round in penetration and accuracy. The brass features a standard 5.56mm taper which minimizes strain on the bolt's weaknesses.

I don't like headshots myself but doesn't mean I wouldn't take one on a 100yd shot. I believe it is unethical past 300 or so. If your in a precise position and have a good view of them and they are not spooked then I bet it may be the best way to go. I trailed 2 deer last year a ways that where hit good with my .260 @ 150 yards. Did my part with good bullets and they still ran a long ways. shot 3 other ones that went down where they stood. With my .260 and a good known range I would feel confident on eye shots. Still I have always shot for the vitals in the body. Glad you made a clean kill. Thats really what it's all about.

I want take a shot with the 300 Blackout past 150 yards. I've spent a lot of time getting the exact clicks out to 150 yards in 25 yard increments before I tried the first shot. I'm using a custom rifle, SAS can, and a 22 power Nightforce scope to make sure that I can make a good shot. I've lost more deer with my bow than this gun shooting them in the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROCKer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want take a shot with the 300 Blackout past 150 yards. I've spent a lot of time getting the exact clicks out to 150 yards in 25 yard increments before I tried the first shot. I'm using a custom rifle, SAS can, and a 22 power Nightforce scope to make sure that I can make a good shot. I've lost more deer with my bow than this gun shooting them in the head. </div></div>

OK so we've heard about the rest, tell me about the rifle and can.. Dying to get/ build an upper myself.
Thanks.

It would be interesting to chrono the Remington factory ammo out of your rifle. Midway is selling Remington Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout (7.62x35mm) 220 Grain Subsonic Open-Tip Match (OTM) Box of 20 for $21.99. The advertisement states that it has a muzzle velocity of 1015 fps. If you got a sonic crack it is obviously going faster than that! At 75 degrees F, the speed of sound is 1133.5 fps. I have had fun playing with the speed of sound calculator at the link below. I personally would custom load for the particular gun!

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-speedsound.htm

Cheers,
TooFarGone

Thanks for the info and the load shoots great. It sucks that it cracks because it will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards. It's built on a 700 action and a 16 inch AAC barrel. Has anyone tried the Hornady ammo? It still had a crack the other morning and it was in the lower 40s outside. Out of about 3 boxes of ammo, there have been around 4-5 shots that were VERY quiet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWOAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how it's only when someone makes a great hit (on video!), the keyboard commandos come out to poopoo the judgment of the shooter. If a 100yd head shot on deer sized game scares you, you can't shoot. ROCKer rocks! </div></div>

I love how it's only when someone makes a great hit that they have the balls to post the video.

Speed of sound at 45 degrees F is 1101.2 fps. That is only 85 fps slower than their stated muzzle velocity. If some rounds crack and others don't, you are right on the ragged edge of the speed of sound for bullet velocity! I don't know about the Hornady ammo. I am watching the 300 Blackout with interest because I want to get a suppressed upper for my AR-15 SBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Head...Really??? Good shooting...but that's an irresponsible placement. youtube deer head shots and take a look at why. </div></div>

Yeah, cause nobodies ever made a bad vitals shot. Youtube deer legs and look why.

Really, if you dont want to do something then dont. But dont label others as irresponsible because then can/do.

As for the round, it shoots incredible and when it doesn't crack sounds like a suppressed 22. I can't wait to get some hand loads worked up that are a little slower so they all sound that quiet. Does any have a good load for the 300 Blackout?

Wow, I never knew this thread about quietly killing of does would cause this much BS. I'm really excited that we have a good quiet method to harvest does. Anyways, the 300 Blackout is a fun and accurate round. We just need to handload them a little slower to get the full experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yeah, cause nobodies ever made a bad vitals shot. Youtube deer legs and look why.
</div></div>

I saw a deer killed DRT with a Texas heart shot obliterating nothing but the last 4-5 inches of spine in front of the tail. I suppose this is to be considered a superb job of shooting then, which we should all aspire to?

People are people and can screw up any shot. There is a reasonable limit in the odds however, and shooting at the smallest, most mobile target possible crosses the line. Not sorry if you disagree, just the way it is. I'm all for skill...I've defended long range hunting for years...but that doesn't mean anything goes.

Banning discussion of ethics or good/bad shots may be good for keeping discussions all cozy-feeling but silence gives the anti's the impression that we are all advocating such actions and they are representative of the whole. If we can't police ourselves we will be held to the lowest common denominator.

9.1 grains VN110. Stay away from H110. Had a lot of vertical stringing and very temp sensitive.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wish that this site prohibited the discussion of "ethics" of hunting.
</div></div>

I almost do too, except that I'm not in favor of censorship of anyone, regardless of their views. One thing I like about this site above all the others is it's a place you can post about using a 110 VMax to take a deer (or headshots with a 300BLK)and not get comments from people who've never tried it. MOST here understand that knowing your capabilities and those of your weapon is what counts. I miss the old attitude around here sometimes, it kept the Jackoffersons at bay, I know I'm not the only one thinking it. Rant over.

On topic: I'm very interested in this and I wish you'd repost the video. Thinking about getting a Blackout upper for the wife's AR15 for short range hogs and deer. Could you email me a link for the vid?

Any secrets on throwing the powder? I'm using a RCBS
ChargeMaster Combo and Dispenser for my other handloads. I've never loaded any subsonic or Blackouts? Is that using a 220 grain MK? Primer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If we can't police ourselves we will be held to the lowest common denominator. </div></div>

I agree with you to a point, but we are hijacking the thread a bit, and I'd like to avoid further, so I'll just say this and leave it be; the lowest common denominator of which you speak is the fat ignorant hillbilly wearing the Elmer Fudd costume with a loose canon in one hand and a beer in the other that is portrayed as "The American Hunter" in seemingly every movie and TV show. You and I both know its not a true representation, but that doesn't stop them from pushing it. And there are a few of them out there too aiding the poor image. I doubt these types frequent the internet much, and less likely a place like this. People around here I believe hold themselves to a higher standard, such as the OP. That said anyone can screw up, but like we already mentioned above, that may end up in a missing jaw, leg, tail,ect. You do it your way, I'll do it mine, and we'll both do the best we can to be ethical.

Back to the 300 BLK

Nope. That load works great, believe it or not with the Sierra 220s and the 240s. Hornady 220 rn and the 210 Bergers(I think). Wolf small rifle primers.

Eddie

Just make sure you have all the lube off the inside of the cases so the powder doesn't stick to the side. It is a very fine powder.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie and when are you coming to town again? Let's get a hunt in or go shoot.

nice shooting.. i take head shots all the time. typically its the best shot on a doe unless you get the 1 in 10000 "jaw shot" usually a head shot is a clean hit or a clean miss and you dont have to track em. using the low velocity round you are i would say the vitals shot would be irresponsible. ive seen way more botched body shots and gut shot deer then botched head shots

Both me and my hunting partner shoot 300WSM and there hard on meat so all does are shot in the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm all for skill...I've defended long range hunting for years...but that doesn't mean anything goes.
</div></div>
Curious what you consider "long-range hunting" and why you would advocate taking a "long-range" shot with all the variability/ potential for error that can emerge with increasing distance, yet frown on someone taking a head shot at close distances. Movement can be (a) controlled considerably by giving a whistle, "bleet", or other noise to temporarily capture the deers attention right before breaking the shot or (b) reasonably patterned by studying the deer's behavior before taking the shot. As for the whole "smallest target" thing... the brain is at least 4 inches in diameter. As boone said, keeping in mind that this is a marksmanship oriented forum, a 4-6 inch target at 100 yards is not really a small target. As others have said, I have tracked more deer which incurred a shot to the vitals, than deer missing a jaw (i.e. none).

Please understand, I'm not suggesting that every hunter should take head shots. Every time I am at the processor I see deer that have been hit in the guts, shot multiple times, missing a leg, or some other iteration of a shot to the "vitals" gone wrong. Certainly, folks like that should not and in all honesty, probably shouldn't be shooting at an animal in the first place regardless of where they aim.

What I am saying, is that it's unfounded to label someone as an unethical hunter because they take head shots. I harvest 99% of my does with head/ upper-neck shots, as they yield a quick kill with no damage to the meat and are a nice 'n easy job for the guys that process my deer (who fight over which one is getting the deer whenever I pull in).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROCKer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Eddie and when are you coming to town again? Let's get a hunt in or go shoot.

</div></div>

Christmas! If you hear any crack or pop, just back it off .2 to 8.9 grains and rock on. This load shoots sub-MOA to 100 yards, but just barely. One-holer at 50 yards and one-incher at 100 yards in both my whispers.

Eddie

My dad has some of the factory 220SMK "subsonic" ammo.

About 1/3 of them are supersonic, some are very much supersonic (1400fps).

Precision was reasonable, but not fantastic. Easily good enough to brain bucket a deer skull at 150yd though...

At 350yd they were stringing about 18" vertically, at 200 it was 6", at 100 it was only about 1.5

If you don't want to shoot heavy cast (which is what would be my first suggestion) then I'd tell you to try the 220 or 240 SMK with about 10gr of Trailboss to start, work DOWN in 0.2gr increments and get the bullets to about 900-950fps.

They will be much quieter there than they will at 1000-1050fps.

has anyone used EBR thumper loads?

Rocker give me a shout and I'll explain about the 210 vld's and how they work. You have to start trusting me on your bullet selections.

Rocker, Just let tackleberry load em for ya. He sent me some and they shoot good!

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tackleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rocker give me a shout and I'll explain about the 210 vld's and how they work. You have to start trusting me on your bullet selections. </div></div>

Dont know if you guys saw this or not yet, but some interesting info on the subsonic 210 VLD:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2942811#Post2942811