• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout Subsonic Bullet Recommendation

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Came across some bargain-priced Redding 300-BLK dies, and caught some cases (Starline) in-stock to go along with a bunch of fired S&B cases ... so I decided to add 300-BLK to my reloading activities because ... well ... because I can. Got everything I need at this point "except" the bullets. I'd appreciate some recommendations for subsonic projectiles that will work and that I've got a fighting chance of finding in-stock. Suggestions please ... I'll be using IMR-4227 powder, which I understand is perfect for subsonic 300-BLK.

Everything I have is long range hybrid target bullets in 30-cal ... so I obviously need something else for subsonic 300-BLK. Purpose of the finished cartridges is suppressed varmint hunting around my ranch (mostly coyotes), and home defense in a 300-BLK pistol/brace.

Ideally bullets that will open up at subsonic speeds. Lehigh Defense and Hornady both make ones, 194/190 gr respectively.
    I like the 190 Sub-X. Either are to find. I’m not sure how important this is but theoretically makes since as well as in gel blocks. I haven’t killed anything with either.

I’ve been using 220 grain SMK’s in mine.
    Only reason - the SMK’s were in stock, nothing else available when I ordered a few months ago.
    10.5” barrel, suppressed, 8.5 grains of 4227 is quiet, very accurate @ short range.

Next test loads will be w/ a 10.3 gr charge, I tried the 8.5gr load @ 50 yards the other day, POI drops considerably.

I have used the 90 gr XTP with great terminal effect, however PIA feeding from magazine, plus impossible to find. I just picked up Nosler110gr Varmint which should feed easily from mag have not used yet so cannot speak to terminal performance. I am expecting some expansion but not explosive at sub sonic speed.

Also have used the 170Gr Sierra Pro Hunter flat nose. Hits hard, no expansion, head shot or shoulder. Feeds from mag.

Not sure if your pistol is and semi auto but subs usually do not have enough pressure to cycle action FYI.

I’ve been using 220 grain SMK’s in mine.
    Only reason - the SMK’s were in stock, nothing else available when I ordered a few months ago.
    10.5” barrel, suppressed, 8.5 grains of 4227 is quiet, very accurate @ short range.

Next test loads will be w/ a 10.3 gr charge, I tried the 8.5gr load @ 50 yards the other day, POI drops considerably.
    Great suggestion ... even better timing. Caught the SMK 220's in stock at Midway and bought a few hundred to get me started. This was the last piece of the puzzle that I needed. Thanks for the recipe ... I have an Adams Arms 300-BLK pistol with a 10.5 barrel, so you've given me a great starting point for load development.

Hard to believe that in these constrained supply times, I was able to find dies, shell holders, powder, cases, and bullets in stock ... and I had small rifle primers here in my reloading room. An hour of online shopping (and advice), and everything I need is on the way.

God bless America ... and the 2nd Amendment !!!

I have used the 90 gr XTP with great terminal effect, however PIA feeding from magazine, plus impossible to find. I just picked up Nosler110gr Varmint which should feed easily from mag have not used yet so cannot speak to terminal performance. I am expecting some expansion but not explosive at sub sonic speed.

Also have used the 170Gr Sierra Pro Hunter flat nose. Hits hard, no expansion, head shot or shoulder. Feeds from mag.

Not sure if your pistol is and semi auto but subs usually do not have enough pressure to cycle action FYI.
    Pistol is a semi-auto (Adams Arms 10.5" piston gas) ... cycles just fine with factory Sellier & Bellot subsonic 200gr ammo. I'm sure the suppressor helps to provide a little extra back-pressure. With subsonic ammo and a suppressor, pretty much the only thing you hear is the action of the pistol. It's a wonderful day when the only thing that rock-chuck invading my ranch hears ... is the bullet hitting his cute little ear.

Reactions: FiremanBrad
    Does anyone have stability info for this bullet? Hornady states they saw best performance in a 1:8 for the loaded ammo, but my rifle has a 1:9 and I'd like to see if it'll stabilize these things.

Happy to do the calcs myself on Berger or JBM, I just don't have the length info on the bullet.

Does anyone have stability info for this bullet? Hornady states they saw best performance in a 1:8 for the loaded ammo, but my rifle has a 1:9 and I'd like to see if it'll stabilize these things.

Happy to do the calcs myself on Berger or JBM, I just don't have the length info on the bullet.
    Mine’s a 1:7 no other info sorry. 1:9 seems slow.

Mine’s a 1:7 no other info sorry. 1:9 seems slow.
    Yeah, it’s not a dedicated subsonic barrel, but I have a 30-cal can and I’d LOVE to run a 190gr bullet as quiet as my suppressed 22LR.

Googling around it seems Hornady had warnings about using it in 12-twist barrels, and folks have pushed it down 8-twist tubes with no issue, but I can’t find info on subsonic loads with it in 9- or 10-twist setups. If I find someone with a happy sub load in a 10-twist I’m good to go, I suppose.

I bought two boxes anyway, worst case scenario I f*ck around and find out.

I was running Hornady 208s with 4227 with great results. I'd have to check how much powder (it's been awhile), but ran just under the threshold out of a 10.5

Yeah, it’s not a dedicated subsonic barrel, but I have a 30-cal can and I’d LOVE to run a 190gr bullet as quiet as my suppressed 22LR.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your 300 Blk will NEVER be as quiet as your suppressed 22LR, unless your 22 suppressor just sucks.
    300 Blk can be quiet enough, same for 9mm, but if you want 22LR quiet, then use a 22LR. Almost nothing else gets there.

Subsonic 300 Blackout is also a crappy choice for home defense, and a relatively poor choice for varmint hunting as well. At least hopefully the OP will try it on varmints first and realize how poor it is for HD before actually needing it.
    But guys, it's a freaking 300 Blk - it has actual full power rifle loads available too. Use those for the nasty stuff; they work in a suppressor too.

• Haha
    Reactions: Chipster697
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but your 300 Blk will NEVER be as quiet as your suppressed 22LR, unless your 22 suppressor just sucks.
    300 Blk can be quiet enough, same for 9mm, but if you want 22LR quiet, then use a 22LR. Almost nothing else gets there.

Subsonic 300 Blackout is also a crappy choice for home defense, and a relatively poor choice for varmint hunting as well. At least hopefully the OP will try it on varmints first and realize how poor it is for HD before actually needing it.
    But guys, it's a freaking 300 Blk - it has actual full power rifle loads available too. Use those for the nasty stuff; they work in a suppressor too.
    I thought about reeling my comment in, but figured I’d just let it ride. I’m cool with the load as long as my neighbors essentially don’t notice me knocking a deer down, which I can’t legally do with a 22LR. Now, I’d hardly be the first person to drop a deer with a 22LR…

Subsonic 300 blk is really just for fucking around. I load whatever heavy 30 cal bullets I bought but never found a use for. It's not a useful round for anything much that would be part of my life.

Reactions: Yondering
    I thought about reeling my comment in, but figured I’d just let it ride. I’m cool with the load as long as my neighbors essentially don’t notice me knocking a deer down, which I can’t legally do with a 22LR. Now, I’d hardly be the first person to drop a deer with a 22LR…

Fair enough. I hope you at least try to use a good bullet though; don’t use some normal hunting bullet that isn’t designed for subsonic hunting.

Of course once you figure out that suppressed full power supersonics sound a lot like a .22 to the neighbors and work a whole lot better, the hunting thing gets a bit easier.

Reactions: FiremanBrad