• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout Upper

dgp3006

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2022
Georgia
I am considering purchasing a 300 Blackout upper with a 16 inch barrel. It is configured as a pistol. I need some information as to the functionality or potential problems of putting this upper on a rifle lower. Since the barrel is 16 inches there shouldn’t be any SBR issues.

By ‘configured as a pistol’ I assume you mean that the upper has a pistol gas system. The buffer weight, spring weight, and ammunition will determine whether the upper functions with your lower.

Yes, it’s a pistol gas system. I only want to shoot super sonic ammo but wasn’t sure if I had to change the buffer tube and spring for sure. I would like to change out uppers from the .223/.556 rifle I have to the 300 Blackout pistol as long as functionality was not compromised. If in doubt, I’ll just forego the 300. I had one and sold it but I’m loaded with 300 magazines and ammo so just want an upper if it would work without modifications. Seems all 300 Blackout uppers have pistol gas systems.
Thank you for the reply.

Pistol-length gas system is very much preferred for 300 BLK. An adjustable gas block will make it better for shooting both supersonic as well as subsonic ammo, and/or suppressed on both sides without fooling around too much with buffger weight, recoil spring(s), etc.

I think many are confused when you mention “pistol” because that is a configuration many choose to avoid the SBR/tax stamp/long wait many (myself included) have endured.

Regardless, you should be gtg

Yes, I wanted to stay away from the SBR situation but in looking for a 16 inch 300 BLK upper, everything I have found is a pistol gas system and I see now that it is the preferred way to go with that cartridge. No need for me to buy an upper not suited for the rifle lowers I have. Thanks for your help!

No need for me to buy an upper not suited for the rifle lowers I have.
Just to be clear, the upper likely has a pistol length gas system, which is ideal for shooting subs and supers. It doesn't make a 16" gun legally a pistol and it also doesn't need to be matched to any particular buffer system length. It's fine and legal with whatever you have.