• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Blackout

fcsurvivor

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Hey All---- I was all set to go with ordering a barrel for the .300 Blackout. But now I have read a few negative comments about it so I decided to go to the pro's for advice. I really like that there is minimal changeover from 5.56 to the .300. Also that I can form brass from 5.56 (I have buckets of the stuff) and use my existing 5.56 mags with full capacity.

So what can all you .300 BO owners out there tell me about this? Am I making a good choice?

Re: .300 Blackout

Just as with any question, we need more info. What do you plan to do with the rifle? What are your expectation? Fill in a few blanks and you will get much better feedback.

Sorry, My Bad. I have a few AR's in 5.56, and was looking to do something a little different. The .300 looked like it would be a good CQB rifle with the 115 to 130gr bullets. That is kind of what I had in mind for this rifle, an urban/CQB gun.

I built one earlier in the year and even shot a few 3 gun matches with it. I'm really happy with it. It's a real crowd pleaser when you smack steel with it compared to the .223s. I used the CMMG barrel from Midway and with good bullets it stays around an inch groups at 100 yards.

I'm currently assembling an 8.2" 300 Blackout pistol while waiting for the paperwork.

I decided I have long range work covered with my other rifles so why not get a shorter range weapon. I decided to go the SBR route and quickly realized 5.56 was going to be utterly useless out of a short barrel. So after some research I ended up at 300 Blackout out of simplicity of the build requirements. A barrel is the only difference.

If something weird happens and 300 Blackout disappears or is found to have some giant negative, I can dump the barrel and switch to something else.

I think the blkout is a great CQB round. Hit very hard with subs & supers out to 300yrds. With the right ammo its also very accurate.

The barrels I've had have been very accurate for what they are. My current one is 9" and shoots 110 V-max's at 2150 fps and keeps them under 1.25 MOA. It's my pig killing rifle. Recoil isn't bad at all and it's a handy rifle.

Forget about forming your own brass. I've formed a couple hundred pieces over the last few years. Cutting down the cases is VERY time consuming. I tried a few different methods, but you really need the Dillon motorized cutting assembly for it to be somewhat efficient. It is much easier to just buy once fired and converted 5.56 brass from one of the many people making it.

300 blk is absolutely by favorite caliber for the AR platform. If you are looking for a 0-400 yard gun the 300 is hard to beat. AK ballistics with Ar accuracy. Plus if your going to run a SBR the 300 BLK is in my opinion a much better option than 5.56/223. And sub sonic 300 is quieter than HK MP5 SD with superior energy on target. Im just waiting on my tax stamp for the SBR, Ive got a 10.5" for my LWRC M6 SPR.

My 10" noveske shoots an inch at 100 with the 110 vmax and 19.5 of h110. If you need brass, River Valley Ordnance has once fired lake city resized to 300 blk for around 160 per thousand. That will save a lot of asspain.

Thanks for all the great info so far.

As far as the brass forming thing goes, I shoot several full wildcat cartridges and completly enjoy the process so that isnt a big deal for me. I have cut-down and sized about 150 cases so far using an air cutter to shorten the cases and havn't found it to be a big deal. The fact that I can form them from 5.56/.223 brass is why I began to look at the .300 vs the 6.8spc. No matter what happens I will always have a source of very cheap brass as I have buckets of once fired 5.56.

My main intrest with the .300 will be with the 110 to 125gr bullets. Most of the .300 barrels I have seen have a 1:8 to 1:11 twist. I understand that this fast of a twist is needed for the 210gr bullets that the supressed guys use and that the Blackout was designed for. As I have no intention of shooting the heavier bullets (or using a can on this rifle) wouldn't I be better off with a slower twist in the neighborhood of 1:16 to 1:19 for the lighter bullets that I intend to use?

You should want a 1:10 twist or faster even for 110 grain bullets. The Barnes 110 grain bullet is 1.173 inches long. At 2300 fps and 0F, a 1:10 twist is a Miller stability factor of 1.5. A 1:12 twist barrel is 1.04. A 1:19 twist is 0.42.

But that would require a custom barrel. You should just buy an existing 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel and call it good.

http://www.saternmachining.com/barrels_on_hand

OK I was wondering about that. I know how sensative the 5.56 bullets are to twist so I assumed that the .300 would be the same. How are the Saturn barrels for accuracy and quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcsurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know how sensative the 5.56 bullets are to twist...</div></div>

They are? Are you saying that 1/7 twist 5.56mm rifles are generally not accurate?

My opinion is if you plan on shooting suppressed go with the blackout, otherwise there are probably better options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcsurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know how sensative the 5.56 bullets are to twist...</div></div>

They are? Are you saying that 1/7 twist 5.56mm rifles are generally not accurate?
</div></div>

No, what I am saying is that a 1:7 twist 5.56 will give much better accuracy with the 69-90gr bullets than it will with the 50-60gr bullets. On the other side of that the 1:12 barrels will shoot the 50-60gr bullets much better than they will shoot the 69-90gr. Most AR platform guns are 1:9 which seems to be a middle of the road twist for all around 5.56.

As the 110-130gr bullets in .30 cal are on the bottom end of weight for the .30cal, I would assume that a slower twist would be in order for the lighter bullets for best accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MBC223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That will save a lot of asspain.</div></div>

no joke there, i have made my own 300blk brass and it blows goat balz... time consuming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MBC223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That will save a lot of asspain.</div></div>

no joke there, i have made my own 300blk brass and it blows goat balz... time consuming. </div></div>

Agreed. Also agree with Mr. Silvers on twist. Just get the standard 1 in 8 or 1 in 7. There is really no disadvantage.

If you are looking to have some fun with a suppressed SBR, the 300blk would be cool. It's ballistics and power are the same as a AK, it is at best a 200yd gun with supers.

If you are looking for some power, go with a 6.8 or .264/6.5g, the 6.8 will preform great with barrels 16" or less, the .264 would be better choice for long range work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BusterB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion is if you plan on shooting suppressed go with the blackout, otherwise there are probably better options. </div></div>

*much better options*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking to have some fun with a suppressed SBR, the 300blk would be cool. It's ballistics and power are the same as a AK, it is at best a 200yd gun with supers. </div></div>

200 "at best?"

It has 500 yard max effective range by Army M4 standards.

At 300 yards, the Barnes 100 grain expands to more than 50 caliber and penetrates 20 inches from a 9 inch barrel.

300BLK-300-small-500x336.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert,

how long is the barrel he is using in the 750m shots? 8" ? </div></div>

8 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking to have some fun with a suppressed SBR, the 300blk would be cool. It's ballistics and power are the same as a AK, it is at best a 200yd gun with supers. </div></div>

200 "at best?"

It has 500 yard max effective range by Army M4 standards.

At 300 yards, the Barnes 100 grain expands to more than 50 caliber and penetrates 20 inches from a 9 inch barrel.

300BLK-300-small-500x336.jpg
</div></div>

How come that didn't fly over at the 68 or G Forums? I'm not going to get into the load of crap you can spew but simple math will show that is not a 300yd gun, you trying to sell it as that is a joke. A .223 case can only hold so much. Leave it as it is, a good CQB choice. I'd love to see it being used as MP5's are, if you can get one to run 100%.

Edit: Did Barnes ever confirm those 300yd tests? I know they would not a while back, that says a lot from a company owned by freedom group, the same guys who own aac.

I know I used mine loaded with 178 AMaxs to smack the crap out of some steel at 300+ yards at a match a couple months ago. My holding point was where the thick and thin portion of a duplex crosshair meet. I know for me personally, I feel confident that the 300blk is is good to 300 yards easily if loaded correctly. There might be better options for certain situations, but I think it's a cool round and have no regrets building a rifle for it. Mine does run 100%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come that didn't fly over at the 68 or G Forums? I'm not going to get into the load of crap you can spew but simple math will show that is not a 300yd gun, you trying to sell it as that is a joke. A .223 case can only hold so much. Leave it as it is, a good CQB choice. I'd love to see it being used as MP5's are, if you can get one to run 100%.</div></div>

Here is your problem - you assume that more powder means proportionately more power, but you are failing to consider how much more efficient 300 BLK is than 5.56mm or 6.8. 6.8, for example, uses 45% more powder and has about 1/2 that more power. The extra powder is just wasted and becomes flash, blast, heat, and noise.

The US Military rates the Max Effective Range of the M4 as 500 meters for a point target.

If the max effective range of the M4 with M855 at 2900 fps is 500 meters, that has 100 inches of drop, 41 inches drift, and 291 ft-lbs of energy at that distance:

A 16 inch 300 AAC BLACKOUT 125 grain at 2220 fps has:
100 inches drop at 440 meters
41 inches drift at 484 meters
291 ft-lbs of energy at 700 meters.

While the 300 AAC Blackout has far more energy, the military goes by hit probability. If we consider that the drift and drop range is correlated with hit probability, and discount the energy advantage of 300 BLK, we get 462 meters for equal hit probability.

Using M4 military standards, the max effective range of 300 AAC Blackout from a 16 inch barrel is 460 meters.

From a 9 inch barrel (2050 fps):
100 inches drop at 410 meters
41 inches drift at 470 meters
291 ft-lbs of energy at 625 meters, so 440 meter max effective range for a 9 inch.

300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edit: Did Barnes ever confirm those 300yd tests? I know they would not a while back, that says a lot from a company owned by freedom group, the same guys who own aac. </div></div>

Not sure why they should confirm their own report. They are the ones who did the test. If you cared about your own reputation you would not call out someone on something certain to be true.

Towards, Mscott:

No doubt it is a cool round, I just laugh at the hype. Vickers said it best.

I can aim to the sky and hit a target at 300yds with a 22LR, does that make it a good choice for such? Targets way out there may be fine if you have 200moa of adjustment to work with. For taking game, no way I'd use it when there are much better options out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come that didn't fly over at the 68 or G Forums? I'm not going to get into the load of crap you can spew but simple math will show that is not a 300yd gun, you trying to sell it as that is a joke. A .223 case can only hold so much. Leave it as it is, a good CQB choice. I'd love to see it being used as MP5's are, if you can get one to run 100%.</div></div>

Here is your problem - you assume that more powder means proportionately more power, but you are failing to consider how much more efficient 300 BLK is than 5.56mm or 6.8. 6.8, for example, uses 45% more powder and has about 1/2 that more power. The extra powder is just wasted and becomes flash, blast, heat, and noise.

The US Military rates the Max Effective Range of the M4 as 500 meters for a point target.

If the max effective range of the M4 with M855 at 2900 fps is 500 meters, that has 100 inches of drop, 41 inches drift, and 291 ft-lbs of energy at that distance:

A 16 inch 300 AAC BLACKOUT 125 grain at 2220 fps has:
100 inches drop at 440 meters
41 inches drift at 484 meters
291 ft-lbs of energy at 700 meters.

While the 300 AAC Blackout has far more energy, the military goes by hit probability. If we consider that the drift and drop range is correlated with hit probability, and discount the energy advantage of 300 BLK, we get 462 meters for equal hit probability.

Using M4 military standards, the max effective range of 300 AAC Blackout from a 16 inch barrel is 460 meters.

From a 9 inch barrel (2050 fps):
100 inches drop at 410 meters
41 inches drift at 470 meters
291 ft-lbs of energy at 625 meters, so 440 meter max effective range for a 9 inch.

300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edit: Did Barnes ever confirm those 300yd tests? I know they would not a while back, that says a lot from a company owned by freedom group, the same guys who own aac. </div></div>

Not sure why they should confirm their own report. They are the ones who did the test. If you cared about your own reputation you would not call out someone on something certain to be true. </div></div>

No doubt it is effective at burning powder, however, the numbers just don't add up as you are still trying to lob a big ass bullet out of a tiny case. What you have is a weapon good for 200yds with any setup, anything after that and it needs to be paper. I know the BO is your baby and all but its time to step into the real world as other professionals have said what it is. You are going to tell them they are FOS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No doubt it is a cool round, I just laugh at the hype. Vickers said it best.</div></div>

There has been much discussion about his video and how it was not useful for drawing any conclusions because Mr Vickers had not zeroed the rifles to the same distance, or as far as I can tell, had not zeroed them at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No doubt it is a cool round, I just laugh at the hype. Vickers said it best.</div></div>

There has been much discussion about his video and how it was not useful for drawing any conclusions because Mr Vickers had not zeroed the rifles to the same distance, or as far as I can tell, had not zeroed them at all. </div></div>

Where at? on the BO forum? You are calling Vickers FOS, LOL.

Give it up man, that is the same crap that got you kicked out of other places. The BO is a good choice for CQB or MP5 like work, the Mil ain't intrested in it as a 5.56 replacement. If anything, they want more power and range as the 6.8 and .264/6.5g offers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No doubt it is effective at burning powder, however, the numbers just don't add up as you are still trying to lob a big ass bullet out of a tiny case. What you have is a weapon good for 200yds with any setup, anything after that and it needs to be paper. I know the BO is your baby and all but its time to step into the real world as other professionals have said what it is. You are going to tell them they are FOS? </div></div>

You are going to have to cite some professionals and exact quotes before I can decide if I disagree. The numbers do add up - and anyone with chronograph can verify them.

Let me explain it this way - there are cars today which do the 1/4 mile faster than other cars, while using less fuel. Same concept.

I am not sure why that Barnes photo is difficult to understand. The bullet expands to almost 0.60 - and does so at 300 yards, while shot from a 9 inch barrel. It will make a hole about 0.60 in diameter, 20 inches deep. That will make a hole completely through a person or a deer. Obviously that is going to be effective at 300 yards. And I just posted a detailed explanation as to why the Army would rate it as a 460 meter (500 yard) max effective range. Anyone can check those numbers very easily - at least I think it is easy to check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where at? on the BO forum? You are calling Vickers FOS, LOL.

Give it up man, that is the same crap that got you kicked out of other places. The BO is a good choice for CQB or MP5 like work, the Mil ain't intrested in it as a 5.56 replacement. If anything, they want more power and range as the 6.8 and .264/6.5g offers. </div></div>

The military (in the US anyway) has never been interested in 6.8. It was some guys in the military who were interested.

I am saying that if I were with Mr Vickers while making the video, I could have helped correctly zero the rifles.

The discussions discussing the video were on AR15 and LWRCI forum:

http://forum.lwrci.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12327

They were critical that he "zeroed" the 300 BLK rifle by being 4 inches low at 100 yards.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=587393

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/58729..._prettybad.html

I'll take anything from Vickers vs. a aac guy as he has a hell of a lot more experience. He was being paid by his boss to make the BO look good, as the real world goes, he could not due to physics. Sorry R, didn't float at other places, won't here but you keep selling those toys!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take anything from Vickers vs. a aac guy as he has a hell of a lot more experience. He was being paid by his boss to make the BO look good, as the real world goes, he could not due to physics. Sorry R, didn't float at other places, won't here but you keep selling those toys!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Brian,

You don't need to take anyone's word for it or go by the person or the experience because anyone can look at his test and see that it was not useful because it was shooting 4 inches low at 100 yards.

A 6.8 that is 4 inches low at 100 yards will also be 15 inches low at 200 yards. You cannot use this to conclude that the 6.8 is a 200 yard max cartridge, but that is exactly the incorrect conclusion he reached about 300 BLK with the same data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take anything from Vickers vs. a aac guy as he has a hell of a lot more experience. He was being paid by his boss to make the BO look good, as the real world goes, he could not due to physics. Sorry R, didn't float at other places, won't here but you keep selling those toys!
grin.gif
</div></div>

To me (a noob to 300 Blackout) Vickers video was very subpar. The zeroing thing was a glaring WTF.

Personally, I would prefer to have a round that is excellent in CQB and can still disgruntle someone at long range than have an excellent LR round that can't do jack at CQB.

I would be bold enough to say that since we are on the "Snipers" Hide, most here have the long range stuff covered.

The fun thing about the AR though is that you can have an 8" suppressed upper on your lower and walk around with a 18" SPR upper in your backpack. A target outside of 300 yards can wait for me to switch to my SPR. Unless he is a sniper. In which case you need to un-ass that area.

This post was slanted towards combat simply because if you are hunting you can take whatever the hell you want so it doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
346ci said:
The fun thing about the AR though is that you can have an 8" suppressed upper on your lower and walk around with a 18" SPR upper in your backpack. A target outside of 300 yards can wait for me to switch to my SPR. Unless he is a sniper. In which case you need to un-ass that area.
</div></div>

While you are correct on swapping uppers, who is going to carry a spare upper in their backpack due to the other upper being anemic and not being able to complete both jobs? Wait to switch uppers?

I don't know if a .264/G preforms well with a 8" but I know a 6.8 does. If you haven't read up on the Six8 rifle from LWRC, check it out. There is a reason one country already picked it up as their battle rifle, when they had several other choices.

I would just use the 8 inch at 300 yards. No reason to change to an SPR upper.

Pretty interesting video I saw from Travis Haley shooting one of the Spikes Kompressor's in 300Blk. Dude was hitting at 750 with a T1. It was impressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty interesting video I saw from Travis Haley shooting one of the Spikes Kompressor's in 300Blk. Dude was hitting at 750 with a T1. It was impressive. </div></div>

Hitting at 750 is different from killing at 750. I wouldn't use anything coming from a 15 with confidence at that range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just use the 8 inch at 300 yards. No reason to change to an SPR upper. </div></div>

I was merely pointing to the ability to switch to a more task oriented system for that target.

The problem here is you're forgetting that a good CQB weapon is most likely going to have a dot type sight. Whether the cartridge is capable or not, the optic may limit your usability. A dot sucks at 400 and a scope sucks at 25.

Canted sights on a SPR are a bandaid for none CQB weapons to be at least mediocre at close range. The rifle remains heavy and long.

You can just QD mount another optic that you keep for longer range.

The problem I have with the 6.8 is what brought me to the .300. The 6.8 is getting some hype right now, but what happens in two years or five years or whatever when something new comes that everyone decides is better than the 6.8 and suddenly no more 6.8 brass or ammo? The 6.8 was formed from the .30 Remington cartridge, a cartridge that has been obsolete for more than 30 years. It is even tough to get brass for a .30 Remington if you still own one. So what then? You go with whatever is the flavor of the day and throw your 6.8 barrel, mags and bolt in the trash?
Also even if you can get 6.8 brass right now it isn't cheap. If you shoot comp or hunt and start loosing brass that can get expensive real quick. As I stated I have formed over 150 Blackout cases so far and I have not found it to be a big deal, and I will always have 5.56 brass to form it from.
Everything I have seen so far say it will work for me and what I expect of it.
Thanks for all the good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcsurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I have with the 6.8 is what brought me to the .300. The 6.8 is getting some hype right now, but what happens in two years or five years or whatever when something new comes that everyone decides is better than the 6.8 and suddenly no more 6.8 brass or ammo? The 6.8 was formed from the .30 Remington cartridge, a cartridge that has been obsolete for more than 30 years. It is even tough to get brass for a .30 Remington if you still own one. So what then? You go with whatever is the flavor of the day and throw your 6.8 barrel, mags and bolt in the trash?
Also even if you can get 6.8 brass right now it isn't cheap. If you shoot comp or hunt and start loosing brass that can get expensive real quick. As I stated I have formed over 150 Blackout cases so far and I have not found it to be a big deal, and I will always have 5.56 brass to form it from.
Thanks for all the good info. </div></div>

The 6.8 has grown and been growing since 2006 when the smarter guys picked it up from remy and made it to what it should be. It did come from the .30rem and rem should have stuck with the .30RAR since it actually has the power to sling a .30 cal bullet.

2013 will be a good year for the 6.8 with Federal dedicating a ammo line to it which hasn't been done for other calibers mentioned. That means brass and ammo will be cheaper as you will see American Eagle 6.8. You can bet it isn't going anywhere. While the 300BO is a cool round and has some good things going for it, it just doesn't have the power or range when compared, in any type of setup. I really don't see the use for it unless you are shooting subs with a can, there are much better options out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcsurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I have with the 6.8 is what brought me to the .300. The 6.8 is getting some hype right now, but what happens in two years or five years or whatever when something new comes that everyone decides is better than the 6.8 and suddenly no more 6.8 brass or ammo? The 6.8 was formed from the .30 Remington cartridge, a cartridge that has been obsolete for more than 30 years. It is even tough to get brass for a .30 Remington if you still own one. So what then? You go with whatever is the flavor of the day and throw your 6.8 barrel, mags and bolt in the trash?

The 6.8 has grown and been growing since 2006 when the smarter guys picked it up from remy and made it to what it should be. It did come from the .30rem and rem should have stuck with the .30RAR since it actually has the power to sling a .30 cal bullet.

2013 will be a good year for the 6.8 with Federal dedicating a ammo line to it which hasn't been done for other calibers mentioned. That means brass and ammo will be cheaper as you will see American Eagle 6.8. You can bet it isn't going anywhere. While the 300BO is a cool round and has some good things going for it, it just doesn't have the power or range when compared, in any type of setup. I really don't see the use for it unless you are shooting subs with a can, there are much better options out there. </div></div>

You guys sure got off topic in a hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty interesting video I saw from Travis Haley shooting one of the Spikes Kompressor's in 300Blk. Dude was hitting at 750 with a T1. It was impressive. </div></div>

Hitting at 750 is different from killing at 750. I wouldn't use anything coming from a 15 with confidence at that range. </div></div>

I dont blame you. How is that relevant to my post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fcsurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I have with the 6.8 is what brought me to the .300. The 6.8 is getting some hype right now, but what happens in two years or five years or whatever when something new comes that everyone decides is better than the 6.8 and suddenly no more 6.8 brass or ammo? The 6.8 was formed from the .30 Remington cartridge, a cartridge that has been obsolete for more than 30 years. It is even tough to get brass for a .30 Remington if you still own one. So what then? You go with whatever is the flavor of the day and throw your 6.8 barrel, mags and bolt in the trash?

2013 will be a good year for the 6.8 with Federal dedicating a ammo line to it which hasn't been done for other calibers mentioned. That means brass and ammo will be cheaper as you will see American Eagle 6.8. You can bet it isn't going anywhere. While the 300BO is a cool round and has some good things going for it, it just doesn't have the power or range when compared, in any type of setup. I really don't see the use for it unless you are shooting subs with a can, there are much better options out there. </div></div>

I pretty much disagree with you.

The ability to reliably shoot supersonic rounds and subsonic rounds, both suppressed and unsupressed is very handy for a lot of folks.

Then sprinkle in the fact that you are selecting from a huge universe of 308 projectiles, can use all your existing/plentiful AR mags and accessories and there is a ton to like about the Blk.

It brings something to the table that the 556 wont do, or any other round of which I am aware. Unique and versatile when mixed with reasonably priced is a very desirable combination of factors.

With the 6.8, while I think it is a fine round, what does it do that would compel me to not use a 556 or 762 instead?

Know what I mean? So the 6.8 is superior to 556 at extended range, right? Well, why would I be inclined to purchase or build a 6.8, buy the expensive ammo and start a magazine collection when I could just grab an AR10 instead?

That is what makes the Blk so interesting to me. It brings its own attributes to the table that I cannot easily get elsewhere. Then all the logistical and economic issues combine to make it super interesting. At least to me. Like everything else, it isnt perfect, but it offers more than most in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty interesting video I saw from Travis Haley shooting one of the Spikes Kompressor's in 300Blk. Dude was hitting at 750 with a T1. It was impressive. </div></div>

Hitting at 750 is different from killing at 750. I wouldn't use anything coming from a 15 with confidence at that range. </div></div>

I dont blame you. How is that relevant to my post? </div></div>

Thought you were entering the conversation about rounds that were effective at longer ranges. Never mind my comment.