• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLACKOUT

*Bones*

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
VA, Newport News
Okay all. I am new to the forum but not new to all the goodies and dirt. I have a question more like a combination question statement. I have ordered a 300 Blackout and after a few emails to the powers that be I have one coming next week even as they arent to be in stock for another 6months
smile.gif
Has anyone else had any experience with them. I really dig the 300 whisper and this just takes it over the top so I had to take the plunge. Any and all information is welcome as this thing will be run with a can super sonic and subsonic.

Re: 300 BLACKOUT

try silencer talk forum and look under the 300 Blackout section

it's a good round. I have a 300 Whisper in a 10" TC Contender and just got a 16" AAC Rem 700 barrel in 300 Blackout

Would probably get more out of the Semi-Auto Rifle subforum here, but it has its own subforum on Silencer Talk. As for a versatile platform, its still pretty young, but with Remington's support it should helpfull. We had a 300 whisper in our armory, wasn't excatly a reliable feeding platform.

If you cant get the New, latest Fad called .300 blk cal. barrel . Just get a Whisper/30-221 cal. barrel & just shoot It . REALLY it's Same damn thing .

Thats what I have coming AAC 12.5" 300 Blackout. Wilson combat makes one as well but the are spitting images of one another as well as the same price.

I just got another 300-221/whisper in a short barrel also . I was considering getting it Re-reamed to the new BLK Chambered round but just decide that the little bit of Free-Bore in the blk was not worth the effort on the Short-barrel length & will not take advantage of the tiny bit of Velocity gained by it . So I just barreled it up 'As Is' , a .30-221 .
& for Subsonic Vel. Rounds fired out 30-221 or BLK is a mute subject, Same-Same on the Handloading of heavy .30 Subs .
Really I think the high-Vel. factory loaded ammo is going to be interchangeable on the 300-221 Rem. to the newer .300 BLK or vise-verse .

If you really want to take advantage of the extra free-bore on the BLK Chamber & get high Vel. performance on the lighter weight .30 bullets & You are going to have to Hand-load .
You did get a 12.5-inch barrel @ the Minimum for length . but 16-inch would be the bigger advantage for the BLK & hand-loads .

I have the 12.5" on the way. I am very excited and cant wait to work up new loads on a ultra mean silent platform
cool.gif

You are the man!!! Thank you for the wealth of information. Damn. I think I may like it here. Way to go Brother Thanks a ton!

i've had a 16" AR Whisper for a year or so. There is a huge difference in sound from an AR vs a bolt gun both running a can. You still get the gas out of the bolt crack with the AR that the can can't do anything about plus all the damn cycle noise. If you really want quite and I mean really quite, jock up a bolt gun. But remember to use an 8 twist barrel or it want hit the barn.

Point taken sir although I have noticed my AR style firearms are much less noisy with cans than a bolt. The gas system? I have noticed that they are more quiet AR style than the bolt guns a good bit.

Keep in mind I am speaking of using subsonic rounds and those being more quiet in the AR style than the bolt guns

Are you saying that an AR w/Can is more quiet than Bolt w/Can . with both usihng subsonic Vel. ?

Thats what I have noticed with subsonic 556 or I guess I should say 223. To answer your question. YES. That is what I have noticed. You only hear the action of the trigger and buffer spring. That "Click & dwing" sound from the Ar.

No Way is AR quieter than Boltaction with Subs & a Can . I have had & shoot both .
& if you use extreme fast-burn with minimal gas bi-product Powder on the Sub loads & Can . I can get them to 'almost' rival my .22 Rimfire suppressed .

Wow. Tell me what you really think :)HAHAHA. Just kidding but yes. I have found mine to be quieter out of a 16" Ar with with a can and standard a poop where you eat system v/s a Remmy VTR 223 with the same can. The can being a YHM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Bones*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Tell me what you really think :)HAHAHA. Just kidding but yes. I have found mine to be quieter out of a 16" Ar with with a can and standard a poop where you eat system v/s a Remmy VTR 223 with the same can. The can being a YHM </div></div>

I find that hard to believe being that gas escapes from the AR15 and the bolt gun being more sealed. I've shot 338LM subsonics thru my can and its less noise then a suppressed 223 any day.

300BLK with a 220gr sub round sounds like an MP5SD when shot side by side, but it's still not as quiet as a bolt action chambered in 300BLK, especially once you lengthen the barrel. As to .223 subs being as quiet, even with a cycler round, nope. Now my thumper round for my .308 is scary quiet.

To use your phrases:

AR platform - click and dwing

Bolt platform - click
laugh.gif

I am just stating a fact of which I have experienced with my own ears. Sweet for the thumper. I thought about that route a good bit but since it looks like the Blackout might have some fwd progress since there will be production super sonic and subsonic ammo to purchase.

I have two. One in a boltgun and another in an AR.

My boltgun uses a PTG 300 Hush reamer and the AR (one off 9.0 Noveske barrel) uses a 300 Whisper reamer.

Powder selection goes a long way towards noise factor. I use a Shark 308 can on my AR and a SF 338 can on my boltgun.

With both the bullet hitting the backstop or target makes more noise than the gun going off.

Brass is easy to make if you have the right equipment.

When comparing the 300 Whisper to the Blackout, about the only real difference is in the throat. With the Blackout you can load supersonic ammo hotter with the longer throat. Kinda like comparing the 223 chamber to the 5.56 chamber.

"<span style="font-style: italic"> When comparing the 300 Whisper to the Blackout, about the only real difference is in the throat. With the Blackout you can load supersonic ammo hotter with the longer throat. Kinda like comparing the 223 chamber to the 5.56 chamber.</span> "
-
Precisely, I am not getting that excited about the 300BLK over the 300-221 . I think it is Great somebody finally SAAMI spec. the Caliber & Round with factory Ammo coming into production .
BLK has a little more free-bore but you are going to have to end-up Hand-loading anyway, to push the Velocity envelope of the newer BLK Round with free-bore .
Really it is the same thing & not even a reason for me to buy new BLK Die's for re-load . They both will eat the same ammo . & you are going to want to full-size Die anyway for the Semi-AR with re-loading .

ALSO. I have to question the reliability of Feeding . I have got the AR with high-Vel. 30-221 to feed pretty nice . GREAT for shooting or Hunting .
(imho) 30-221, still it is Not near reliable . Not like .556 . So for PR or 3-gun usage . I would HAVE to STAY with .556 AR , Just for Peace of mind & knowing there is going to be a Slim Chance @ best for a FTF .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BLK has a little more free-bore but you are going to have to end-up Hand-loading anyway, to push the Velocity envelope of the newer BLK Round with free-bore</div></div>

I am not sure what you mean. Factory 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammo is loaded hot already. The Remington 123 grain ammo was chronoed at 2340 and 2360 fps by Noveske and a govt user (16 inch barrel). That speed is not possible with 300-221 or 300 Whisper(R) at the same chamber pressure. Handloading is not needed to get the max velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you cant get the New, latest Fad called .300 blk cal. barrel . Just get a Whisper/30-221 cal. barrel & just shoot It . REALLY it's Same damn thing</div></div>

Whisper/30-221 has less freebore, and so you cannot shoot full power 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammo in them without expecting elevated pressures. It would be like shooting 6.8 SPC-II in a 6.8 chamber, or 5.56mm in a 223 chamber.

What ? There HAS to some room left for Handloading performance ? No Way is Factory manufactured Ammo going to be loaded right to ragged edge on Vel. Performance .
For off-the-shelf Consumer & Factory Ammo, they would be just looking for repercussions from a litigation standpoint . There has to room left for more Vel. performance because there will be consumers buying the Factory Ammo of Bolt-Action & Semi-action & then people using custom barrel of unknown Bore tolerance .

Running 30-221, I'm getting over 2-K Vel. right now with just an 8.5 inch barrel using 125 grn. Hornady soft points . Plus running it with an AR platform which in No-Way i'm hotroding close to what I can run a Boltaction with longer barrel & 30-221 .
edit to add :
To sum-up more clearly on what I wrote . I think that the factory BLK ammo cant be 'All-That' . & Not that BIG a Deal over shooting 30-221 & Handloading for performance with it .

What do you think the FPS limits will be on a non surpressed AR this seems like a viable all purpose cartridge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ? There HAS to some room left for Handloading performance ? No Way is Factory manufactured Ammo going to be loaded right to ragged edge on Vel. Performance .
For off-the-shelf Consumer & Factory Ammo, they would be just looking for repercussions from a litigation standpoint . </div></div>

It depends what you mean. If you mean "Can you handload faster loads" then sure. You can load to proof round pressure. If you mean "Can you handload faster loads and be within SAAMI specs for max pressure" then no. These are loaded to full power. They are not underloaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think the FPS limits will be on a non surpressed AR this seems like a viable all purpose cartridge </div></div>

110 grain bullets do 2450 fps from a 16 inch barrel at 55,000 psi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Running 30-221, I'm getting over 2-K Vel. right now with just an 8.5 inch barrel using 125 grn. Hornady soft points . Plus running it with an AR platform which in No-Way i'm hotroding close to what I can run a Boltaction with longer barrel & 30-221 . </div></div>

The max pressure for a SAAMI cartridge does not change from an AR to a bolt gun. Even as a handloader I would never intentionally go over SAAMI pressure. I know many do, but in most cases it is unintentional due to not having the ability to measure pressure.

I have a AAC 9" upper and a Savage 16" bolt gun both in .300 BLK.

So far AAC's 220gr SMK load using AA1680 is right on par with being a smidgen under sonic.

I tested a 240 SMK load in the savage the other day using 9.5grs of AA No. 9 and got MOA accuracy at 100yds. The chrono read most of the rounds sub-sonic but a few spike above in the 1075 range. I'm stepping that load down to 5.3grs, should do the trick.

I want to get some Vhit N110, I hear guys are getting good results with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far AAC's 220gr SMK load using AA1680 is right on par with being a smidgen under sonic.</div></div>

It is best to be in the 950 to 1020 range for sound. The 11.2 grains I listed was a starting load. With subsonic you start high and work down to prevent stuck bullets. 10.4 to 10.8 is where most people are ending up.

Wow. a wealth of knowledge from experience. its looking like I should have mine in by the end of the week and can start the experiments myself. I have the 12.5 coming but was intrigued by the 9.5" as well but that's another form 1 for another time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a AAC 9" upper and a Savage 16" bolt gun both in .300 BLK.

I want to get some Vhit N110, I hear guys are getting good results with it. </div></div>

That would be a wise decision. VV N110 is good stuff for the .300 family of subsonic rounds. Better case fill than H110 and not temp sensitive.

N110 is not compatible - not enough gas pressure. Same with H110. They are for supersonic only. Or for bolt guns.*

*You can make them work, but then the guns can't shoot full power ammo.

rsilvers - is the factory Remington subsonic ammo subsonic out of 12" and 16" barrels or just 9"? Been looking around for an answer on this one and haven't found it.

It is loaded to be 1010 fps from a 16 inch test barrel.