• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK Bolt Action?

DarkGhost

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys, with all the HYPE and all the AR's disappearring I figured I would just start a bolt gun project instead of the SBR I had planned. Anyways, let me know what ya think, plan to use it for range, and possible hog hunting in the future.

Trued 700 short action
Badger knob
Fluted Bolt
Trigger - Suggestions?
Seekins 30 MOA base (not sure if I need 0,20, or 30 MOA)
Shilen SS 1:8 twist 16 inches remington varmint contour barrel(Sendero)
300 Blackout Chamber
AAC Blackout™ 51T Muzzle Brake
McM A-2 Stock ( Need to decide on color or camo pattern- open to suggestions)
Aluminum pillars and marine tex bedding
Seekins Detachable Bottom Metal
Seekins Scope Ring 30mm tube, 0.87" Medium, 6/4 cap screw ( IS this the right height?)
Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm (30mm) M2
Seekins Picatinny Scope Base McM
AAC 762-SDN-6 Silencer

TIS Quick Cuff Sling(other suggestions?)
Harris or Atlas Bipod?

I hope to have David Tooley build it since he's around the corner from me.

Forgot Recoil Lug...Suggestions please!

Am I forgetting anything else for the build?

Thanks as always!!!

Re: 300 BLK Bolt Action?

Might try to find a 1-7 twist barrel for shooting the 240s. The 1-8 works great with the 220s at least with my gun. Extraction can be a little tricky I used a rem 700 fireball action with the extractor in a slightly different place to help with the short case. The rest of it looks good

Not sure why you would want a brake on a rifle that has no recoil and not enough gas to make a brake work???

I modded the ejectors on a few 300 whisper Rem 700's to make them work better and not drop the cases in the receiver. Lengthen the notch in the ejector to allow it to protrude further. That keeps pressure on the case head longer and makes the extraction/ejection more reliable.

It will be a nice rifle and its a great idea.

Frank

Frank pm sent. That's true about the brake. Also you have it on your list but a DBM set up with 223 AI mags really helps with feeding the BDL setup gave me some headaches.

Dustin

I built a similar set up a couple years ago in 300 Whisper. If I did it again it would be 300blk due to the recent popularity and SAMMI adoption of the round. Heck I may get it rechambered if I decide to hold on to it.

Mine is set up like this:

Rem 700 223 receiver with BDL metal. Had a Sako extractor added to solve the ejection issue and a bolt knob from Pheonix.
Tweaked Remington trigger 2.5 lbs.
Shilen SS Rem varmint fluted at 16.5", direct threaded 5/8x24 for my can.
B&C M40 stock, bedded.
EGW 30moa base
IOR 2.5-10x42 in Seekins low rings.

I have shot 220 subs in it exclusively. Really nice and quiet.
Have not shot it much since I got a 300blk AR. That AR is aufully fun.

So just ditch the brake and have the barrel threaded, sounds good.
Still looking at trigger options and bi-pod options, seems the hide really like Atlas bi-pods, pricey but hell, the best things usually cost ya. Thanks for the replies so far !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank pm sent. That's true about the brake. Also you have it on your list but a DBM set up with 223 AI mags really helps with feeding the BDL setup gave me some headaches.

Dustin </div></div>
Rather than reply to the pm I'll post here so it helps everyone...I don't have any pics but its a simple procedure.

All you need to do is remove the ejector by pushing out the roll pin that holds it in. Careful as it may pop out and disappear under the table (the roll pin and the ejector). Take a dremel, file or mill and extend the amount of the cut in the side of the ejector so that the spring will push it further out of the bolt face. The limit on how much you can do is where the pin would be cut through to the spring. In one case I made a longer pin to see if it would interfere with loading. It didn't. A simple bevel on the bottom edge of the pin allowed the round to slip into the bolt face nicely.
What extending the ejector pin does is to maintain spring pressure against the fired cartridge case to hold it against the extractor. With the shorter cases the neck of the case doesn't keep the case head against the bolt face as long as a longer case would. With the shorter (standard) ejector pin this means the spring pressure is gone when the case comes back out of the chamber and now there is no pressure against the extractor. The case falls free and drops into the magwell. If you can keep the pressure up longer by extending the ejector it will push the neck of the case against the inside of the receiver while still maintaining enough pressure on the ejector to keep things held tight. On clearing the receiver there is still enough spring left to pop the case out the side. It all has to do with the angles of the cases and the differences in length.

Hope that helps

Frank

Doing a BLK bolt gun SBR myself. 700, Sako extractor, 8 twist bartlien in a McCree carbine folder
wink.gif

Thanks frank that makes sense I haven't had any problems as long as you cycle the action like you mean it but I will give it a shot.