• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK Load Data

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
I have been intrigued by the new incarnation of the SSK "300 Whisper®" concept introduced this month by AAC.
This looks like it will be a nice solution in many areas.

Since the 300 AAC BLACKOUT is an official SAAMI spec cartridge now, hopefully more innovation in this platform will come about.

Listed Below is the suggested loading info released by AAC.
http://www.300aacblackout.com/

HANDLOADING INFORMATION

If you load your own ammo, pay special attention to all of the normal safety practices.
Recommended powder for most supersonic loads is Hodgdon H110.

For subsonic, there are special requirements and nearly all published loads are non-optimal for the 300 BLK upper.
Many existing loads were developed for Thompson Center® single-shot pistols,
or for ARs by people not aware of the magazine limitations.
These loads pay no attention to automatic rifle function and should not be used.
Look for a load which results in a cyclic rate of 700 rpm or more.
AA1680 is recommended because its bulk density matches the case capacity and it will generate enough gas pressure to cycle the weapon.

Suggested subsonic load:

• R-P 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass
• Remington 7.5 primers
• 11.2 grains of AA 1680 powder
• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020
• Sierra 220 MK loaded to 2.089 OAL (this length is optimal for reliable feeding from USGI magazines)
• Chamber pressure 21,100 psi.

Existing AR magazines have a rib which normally contacts the 5.56mm case-neck.
With 300 BLK ammo, the contact is on the bullet.
Because the bullet is a larger diameter, the rib will push the cartridges out of alignment,
and can lead to binding potentially resulting in Failures to Feed.
For this reason, it is important to load ammunition so that the contact point with the magazine rib is on the bullet ogive in an area of about 0.250 inch diameter.
Here are some suggested OAL for popular bullets:

• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000
• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL
• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
• Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL
• Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

Reloading Dies are available from Forster
•Full Length Sizing Die only, 300 BLK, Part # 005545
•Standard Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #006205
•Ultra Micrometer Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #U00099
•Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Standard Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #004453
•Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Ultra Micrometer Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #U04453
-----Forster Products
-----310 East Lanark Avenue
-----Lanark, Illinois 61046
-----PHONE & FAX
-----p: (815) 493-6360
-----f: (815) 493-2371

It would be awesome to see Redding pickup this cartridge as well.
(AAC has stated on other forums that they would provide the cartridge drawings to them if asked.)
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62883&start=100
The more people that ask for it the more likely they will produce it:
-----Redding Reloading Equipment
-----1089 Starr Road
-----Cortland, NY 13045
-----Phone (607)753-3331
-----FAX (607) 756-8445

AFAIK
- 5.56x45mm NATO Brass can be used as the parent brass and then resized / trimmed.
- 300 BLK cartridges and 300-221 Rem Fireball cartridges should be thought of in the same way .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO is.
The 300 BLK has a larger throat and therfore 300 BLK factory loading could cause excess pressure in 300 Whisper (R) / 300 Fireball chambers.
(Check with the manufacture for compatibility and always have the chamber reamed when in doubt.)

Chamber details as posted on another forum:
http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11304&highlight=
The headspace is exactly the same as 221 Fireball, the chamber is exactly the same as the 221 Fireball except the neck is .337 tapering to .335. The max case length is 1.368", chamber is 1.378 to where the case mouth would be. Throat is .309 for about .18 then it's a 1.5 degree into the bore.

Please post both supersonic and subsonic load data.
When posting please be sure to include barrel length, twist rate, chamber type and gas tube position. (If using an AR.)
AAC is currently using a pistol length gas system in their 9" barrels and a carbine length one in 16".
Gas port diameters remain undisclosed and have been deemed proprietary corporate information by AAC / Robert Silvers.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62883&start=100
Wilson Combat is using the following gas port sizes:
11" pistol gas .073 (.093 was required when using subsonics)
11 CAR gas .093
16" CAR gas .110 (some guns run at .105)
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=63547

Noveske is developing barrel assemblies for 300 BLK.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=168

Other companies developing products for the 300 BLK can be found here:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=63922

*NOTE*
I am not affiliated in any way with AAC or the Freedom Group.
I started this thread in an effort to expedite the development of this cartridge.

Re: 300 BLK Load Data

FWIW, I received an email from Todd saying Noveske won't be producing anymore 300 Whisper barrels since they're sold out now, and won't sell anything else until they're up and running with the 300 BLK production barrels.

Here is the published exterior balistics that AAC has listed in their promotional material:
300-BLK-123.jpg

300-BLK-155.jpg

300-BLK-220.jpg

and here is a link to the Noveske 300 BLK project page:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=

forster300aacsmall.jpg

Forster Products 300 AAC BLACKOUT reloading dies.

Full Length Sizing Die only, 300 BLK, Part # 005545
Standard Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #006205
Ultra Micrometer Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #U00099

Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Standard Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #004453
Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Ultra Micrometer Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #U04453

PHONE: (815) 493-6360

I resized Remington 300 AAC BLACKOUT cases with each of the following dies, and then put a metric pin gauge in each, to see the largest pin that would fit. The goal being to see which dies resized the cases to the optimal inside diameter for ideal bullet pull without over-working the brass.

Forster had the benefit of having both the factory drawings and factory fired and unfired 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass - and so they knew the neck-wall thickness.

Results:

Forster 300 AAC BLACKOUT die: 7.76mm (0.3055 inches inside diameter)

Reading 30-221 die: 7.74mm (0.3047 inches inside diameter)

Hornady 300 Whisper(R) die: 7.58mm (0.2984 inches inside diameter)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone know what twist they are using? Im trying to order barrel?
"Sub Sonic 220gr SMK and 240gr SMK"</span>

Thats what I was thinkin but..... Never hurts to ask! Chime in alll...........

Most barrels will use the 1:8 twist, and especially if you shoot the 220 SMK subsonic load. I see little use for the 1:10 since this cartridge almost seems silly if you are not going to use it with subsonic ammo.

I have also heard that the suggested OAL results in a huge jump to the lands, and given the .100 freebore, accuracy may not be great, unless longer OALs are used. This seems to be a dangerous compromise made in order to be able to claim that this round will "work with any /all std. 5.56 mags..."

In that case, we might end up seeing modified PMags with the ribs slightly honed down, and longer OAL's eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HTR707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most barrels will use the 1:8 twist, and especially if you shoot the 220 SMK subsonic load. I see little use for the 1:10 since this cartridge almost seems silly if you are not going to use it with subsonic ammo.

I have also heard that the suggested OAL results in a huge jump to the lands, and given the .100 freebore, accuracy may not be great, unless longer OALs are used. This seems to be a dangerous compromise made in order to be able to claim that this round will "work with any /all std. 5.56 mags..."

In that case, we might end up seeing modified PMags with the ribs slightly honed down, and longer OAL's eventually. </div></div>
PMags can be easily modified to accept the longer OAL cartridges by cutting down the "Ribs" with a sharp wood chisel.

As far as supersonic loads being silly, I don't completely disagree with you, but AAC / Freedom Group see things a bit differently.
Their perspective, (or at least the way AAC sold it to the Freedom Group) is that the platform is primarily for supersonic cartridges.
The logic behind this is that the 300 BLK allows customers an affordable way to hunt larger game such as deer with their AR pattern rifle.
(Appealing to the large hunting market.)
Additionally, the ballistics closely mimic the soviet 7.62x39 AK cartridge but offer the better accuracy and ergonomics of the AR platform.
(Appealing to the Military market for a hard hitting short range cartridge.)
To round things out, the outstanding performance as a subsonic solution appeals to the SOCOM, LE, and the NFA community.
This market being the smallest, I can see why they would put more emphasis on the supersonic capabilities.
That being said, the first commercial loading of the 300 BLK available are the 220gr OTM subsonic cartridges.
If you couple that with the fact that the parent company that designed the cartridge is primarily a silencer manufacture, questions are bound to be raised.
I suspect the designer of the 300 BLK (screen name: "Rsilvers") will post up more of his thought process when he comes across this post.
(No disrespect intended Robert…)

I have a 10" Noveske barrel scheduled to hit my door step this Thursday.
Listed below is the initial testing that I plan on doing.
As you will see, this build is intended to be a dedicated suppressed platform.

300 BLK Load Dev.

Objective:
Determine the most accurate subsonic load that is stable enough to reliably cycle the action.

Projectile: 220 grain SMK
Case: LC 5.56 NATO Brass (Cut and formed to 300 BLK)
Primer: Federal 205M (Small Rifle MATCH)
Powders to be tested: Hogdon H335, Accurate 1680 & Vihtavuori N110 (AA1680 is the recommended SS powder to be used from AAC due to the gas volume)
OAL: 2.089
AAC's published recommended load is 11.2 grains of AA1680

Platform:
AR15 Pattern Rifle (Direct Gas Impingement)
PRI rifle length free float tube and ARMS #38SPR PEQ-2-3 Rail
10" Noveske SS Barrel (1 in 8 twist)
Pistol Length Gas System
TBAC 30P-1 Titanium 30 Caliber Sound Suppressor (9.5" long)
Optic to be used during testing is the Leupold 3-10x40 FF with TMR reticle

Test Conditions:
Elevation = 12ft
Barometric Pressure = "hg
Distance to target = 100 yards

Course of fire will be:
Ladder style as outlined in Jason Baney's article
http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html
Each test group will have the bullets marked with a Sharpie and will be shot "Round Robin" to maximize consistency
The test groups will consist of 4 different loads, 5 rounds of each, 20 rounds to be fired in each session
Barrel will not be cleaned between sessions and will be fouled prior to the start of testing
15 minutes of cool down time between sessions will be afforded to keep temperatures consistent
All shots will be recorded with a Competition Electronics "ProChrono" Digital Chronograph
Target to be used will be GA Precision Test Targets
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html
Each round will be chambered individually with a magazine inserted (Failure to lock the bolt to the rear will be considered a NO-GO)
Measured Velocity exceeding 1,050 feet per second will be considered a NO-GO
Each piece of fired brass will be caught will a brass catcher and visually examined for pressure signs.

Loads to be tested:

AA1680
11.1 (Red)
11.2* (Blue)
11.3 (Black)
11.4 (None)
_____
10.7 (Red)
10.8 (Blue)
10.9 (Black)
11.0 (None)

AA #9
8.7 (Red)
8.8* (Blue)
8.9 (Black)
9.0 (None)
_____
8.3 (Red)
8.4 (Blue)
8.5 (Black)
8.6 (None)

Vihtavuori N110
8.8 (Red)
8.9 (Blue)
9.0 (Black)
9.1 (None)
_____
9.2* (Red)
9.3 (Blue)
9.4 (Black)
9.5 (None)

I certainly won't argue you you. Dr Phil, and I appreciate you taking the time to post these results once you have them, as you are a bit ahead of me. I have a WC upper on the way, and already own a JET .30 Ti suppressor, very similar to Zack's TBA model. I also have all the appropriate powder, and dies are on the way. 1000 cases are already prepped. I am talking to Todd at Noveske about one of their barrels, but I want some rounds under my belt before I choose the length.

I find one statement you made particularly ironic: "...The logic behind this is that the 300 BLK allows customers an affordable way to hunt larger game such as deer with their AR pattern rifle...."

Remington hasn't exactly impressed me with their handling of AR entries into the "hunting market." Again, certainly no disrespect intended to RSilvers, who I think has done a great thing here with the BLK. The big difference between this and 6.8 SPC is the use of the existing mags and BCG and perhaps the affordability factor. There is plenty of 6.8 factory ammo now, but it definitely a bit more expensive. However, I seriously doubt that many users will simply plop their 5.56 BCG into this upper and start shooting. Most will buy their own properly head spaced bolt <span style="font-style: italic">and carrier</span>, since taking it down to get at the bolt is tantamount to a "rebuild."
smile.gif

Rem frittered away and backed out of the best idea that now serves the hunting niche. That was the 6.8 SPC (the .30 RAR seems destined to the ash heaps of history, too). The 6.8 SPC is THE cartridge that gives AR-15 platform users hunting capability never before seen
: example: a 5.5 lb 12" SBR, which can shoot an 85 grain TSX at 2900 FPS. That surpasses the supersonic performance of the AAC 300 BLK, but that is another thread, and I apologize for the relative hijack.

I totally agree with the LE, SOCOM and NFA community embracing this, especially since the former are not shooting huge Texas feral hogs. Bad bipeds go down much more easily...
wink.gif

The way I see this is that no one in their right mind would buy a 300 BLK for unsuppressed shooting, because it is specifically [over]gassed to allow the use of subsonics that have enough port pressure to cycle the action. If the first ammo released by Remington includes a subsonic round then its obvious they intend to target <span style="font-style: italic">and broaden</span> the suppressor user market. BRAVO to them for that.

I would absolutely love to see more suppressed rifles all across the country, until one day, people frown at you for not bringing your "moderator" to a hunt.

I will also be trying H110, VVN110, H335, AA1680, and some of the proprietary powders used by Silver State Armory.

When appropriate, I will also report some results of very new bullets (designed for the BLK) which I will be testing.

HTR707
I think we are on the same page regarding this cartridge.
The politics and internet rumblings associated with the 300 BLK are interesting / entertaining.

Still need to do some brass prep prior to testing.
Shouldn't take more than two weeks to post up the results.

Here is some QuickLoad info posted up in a thread over @ SilencerTalk:
BLK-1.jpg

BLK2.jpg

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=65022
and here is the reamer print:
Advanced-Armament-Corp-LL.gif

The 220 subsonic came out first because the machine which was optimal for loading the shorter 123 grain bullets was busy loading 7.62x39 and so that was scheduled second.

I agree that 6.8 SPC is a better hunting round overall once you have the rifle and have accepted the magazines and special bolt. A lot of people want a 30 caliber though.

300 AAC BLACKOUT will have $12.99 MSRP ammo which is ultimately why I think it will pass 6.8 in sales.

I'm taking mine out again today. I've been using 11.4grs of AA 1680 pushing a 220gr SMK. I upped it to 11.7 and it was going supersonic on me, backed it down. COAL is consistent with above.

I'm zero'd at 100yds and have hold points for 25yds, 50yds, 75yds, and 215yds(NF 2.5-10x24npr1). Drop from 100yds ro 200yds seems consistent as well 20moa-ish. I'm using a YHM .30 QD can.

I'd like to get a load using 220gr Hornady RN bullets but am not sure if they'd work in the mags. It would be a more affordable subsonic plinking round.

I'd like to get some load data for the 110 AMAX or perhaps the new Berger 110gr SBR bullet(pricey).

Initial testing has the 220 SMKs going supersonic on me with 11.2 grains of AA1680.
(10" Noveske 1-8 twist, pistol gas port, TBAC 30P-1 can, 12' ASL, 35F)

What I'm hoping to see is some experimentation as this cartridge continues to gain popularity.
I plan on testing the following bullets personaly:
220 SMK
180 RN
178 A-Max
175 SMK
147 M80 FMJ Ball
110 V-Max

Of course everyone is looking for the most affordable sub load for plinking.
(147gr M80 or 175gr M118-LR pull downs?)
I'm curious to see what becomes the "Barier Blind" and "Expanding Subsonic" loads.
My guess will by that the 110 Barnes TAC-X & 208 A-Max will be good choices.

I also need to figure out a better way to cut .223 brass down. This dremel shit ain't working out.

Used a dremel for the first 50 test loads.
(Wasn't too bad using the Dremel work station adapter and some FA loading blocks.)
I'll be running a couple hundred through the ban saw at work today.
Should go pretty quick having them on 10 round stripper clips.
...Just did 100 cases in under 5 minutes using this method...
Still have to cleanup the mouth prior to sizing, but that only takes a sec.

Sub Sonic
McGowan 16" 1-8" twist pistol port @ .086, M4 feed ramps
5.56 brass from Hoser, run through Redding 300-221 die (for peace of mind only)
8.5 grains Lil Gun with 220 SMK 2.22 OAL
Very clean, very accurate, perfect function, no SS crack (8.7 grains had a crack)
H2 carbine buffer and adjustable gas block (closed a little bit)

Brass, bullets and dies are in, and the upper is on the way. I will post results when I have some.

Thanks for all the data posted thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A band saw would be optimal but I can't swing something like that at the moment.

IIRC I saw video of a guy with a Dillon tool head setup with a trimmer and sizer, buzzed it right off. No cham/deburr tho.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkmpHdGm0U&feature=related </div></div>
That is a slick setup.
Here are some threads that coveral all of that stuff:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=58037
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3308
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3807

For the Dillon setup, you need:
Dillon's Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer
CH Trim Die (Don't know if they have the 300 BLK version yet)
Extended Shell Holder
The whole setup with cost about $300 if purchased new.
It is tempting to go that route for sure.
I guess it comes down to what price you put on your own time.
You could always go the other way and have someone with that setup do it for you.
$10 per hundred or $25 per hundred to buy the brass outright.
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3314
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4787
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1935738

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You could always go the other way and have someone with that setup do it for you. </div></div>

Email me. I'll send you brass free for testing, you pay the shipping. Unless you are enjoying that band saw nonsense...

Thanks for all this data folks , Im seriously considering an upper build this spring . Too many irons in the fire right now though.

Does anyone have a starting point for 110gr AMAX using H110?

H110 sucks. It's temp sensitive also. I can provide at least one documented case of extreme Cold Bore shot POI shift with it's use in the .300 whisper/300-221.

Try N110.

I have H110, not Vit N110 so a starting point for 110gr Vmax would be great.

Anyone have a starting point for 110gr Vmax using H110?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a starting point for 110gr Vmax using H110? </div></div>

I'd start with 18.5gr and work up, you'll probably be able to go up to 19.5gr at least.

BTY - Load data is in both Hornady and Sierra manuals for 300 Whisper which is OK to use

By the way, the Remington brass is awesome. The primers are sealed and it has an extra step in the manufacturing process to harden just the case head so that it lasts in the primer area. Remington tested it with 10 cycles of reloading. It also has the necks annealed, and then left unpolished to allow for visible verification of annealing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, the Remington brass is awesome. The primers are sealed and it has an extra step in the manufacturing process to harden just the case head so that it lasts in the primer area. Remington tested it with 10 cycles of reloading. It also has the necks annealed, and then left unpolished to allow for visible verification of annealing. </div></div>
Great!
Any ETA on when it will be available or what the MSRP will be?

Sierra is working on load data for 300 BLK. Due to the longer throat, it can take more powder and can give more velocity than 300 Whisper(TM). Before it seemed like only hand-loaders who were unaware or indifferent of the pressures could reach true 7.62x39mm velocities. With the BLACKOUT, you can find powders which actually reach that at 55,000 psi. The 110-VMAX can make 2450 in a 16 inch barrel at 55,000 psi.

Another thing to look out for is that Sierra Whisper load data was tested on a single shot pistol and so the bullets used may not feed in an AR, and the powder may be too fast for a gas gun. Also the OALs may not be happy in an AR magazine.

For these reasons it is useful to be selective on which loads to try.

Looks like an interesting new option.

So does anybody have a .pdf reamer print for this thing?

So I've been trying to get some .300 blk loaded up. I have some Lake City 5.56 converted to .300 brass. I run the brass in my Forster sizer, and the case won't chamber in my Noveske barrel. I check the brass, and can see that the shoulder is to far forward about .020. I check all the settings; can't adjust the die anymore. Spoke with someone at AAC, and he seems to think that the case is too thick, and recommends trying another brand of brass. I spoke with Forster and they want me to send them the die and some of my brass, and I am waiting on someone at Noveske to call me back.

Anyone else have any issues with either LC brass or Forster dies?

I'm using a Lee single stage press and a Lee shell holder. Another member mentioned that I may try tweaking the shell holder to get that extra two thousandths I need at the shoulder. I'm about to run out to the garage and give that a try. I would love to hear any other suggestions as well.

Update: I got the shoulder set according to spec, and still no go. The diameter of the neck is still too much; .328 and it should be .309. I only turned to loading the .300 blk because factory ammo is harder to track down than bin laden.

I am 3 separate distributor's wait lists and their ETAs keep getting pushed back everyday. So now I am stuck with one sexy as upper for a paperweight. I think I will try another brand of brass, and if that doesn't work then I may scrap this whole endeavor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update: I got the shoulder set according to spec, and still no go. The diameter of the neck is still too much; .328 and it should be .309. I only turned to loading the .300 blk because factory ammo is harder to track down than bin laden.

I am 3 separate distributor's wait lists and their ETAs keep getting pushed back everyday. So now I am stuck with one sexy as upper for a paperweight. I think I will try another brand of brass, and if that doesn't work then I may scrap this whole endeavor. </div></div>

Try Whisper ammo, I hear it functions, shoots fine, no problems (Cor Bon factory, in particular.)

I never tried making brass form 5.56mm. I have made it form 221 Fireball with no problems.

But really, there is no good reason to make brass when Hoser sells it ready to use at a decent price. Rem brass will be out pretty soon.

I would strongly recomend looking into pre-converted brass if you are having such issues.
Like RSilvers pointed out, HOSER is a good source or http://www.bradswarehouse.com/

Once you start shooting your new upper, I don't think that you would even consider getting rid of it, but if you did, I suspect that you might make a profit since they are so sought after right now.

For more information regarding the Forster Die sets and their growing pains, please reference this thread: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=64909

For the record, I haven't had any issue directly related to using 5.56 NATO Lake City brass.
The thickness of the brass has not been a problem.
(Noveske 10" barrel with a 300 BLK chamber)
The brass has been tight to chamber due to the Forster dies though.

I should have a full set of test data and a range report posted up in the next week or two depending on the weather.
(220 SMK Subsonic)
Right now it is too muddy for me to walk back to my target backer...

adjustable gas block on the way, just need some dies now....then I'll have my own whisper/blackout/whatever you call it!

Dr. Phil,
Any news on how well the 147 M80 FMJ Ball worked out? I no longer own any FALs but I still have 4-5k of these piled up. None of my blasting rigs are .308 anymore, so if this pans out I'll be building a .300 BLK upper for sure. Right now, I'd love it if I could run 147/150gr Ball for plinking and 168gr Core-lokt or PVRI JSP for hunting (both supersonic) since I have a good stockpile of these already.

I have been thinking of a 16" Wilson Combat carbine-gas barrel. I'm just not certain its gas port is set up well for these weights.

warriorsociologist,

I don't currently have any 147s on hand.
Had planned on testing them to use as a plinking load after developing the 220 SMKs (Sub & Super), 175 SMK (Sub & Super), 180 SGK (Sub & Super), 178 A-Max (Sub & Super) and 110 V-Max.
If you want to send me 100 bullets to do some rough work ups, I would be up for that, but a fully refined load development wont happen until later this spring.
(Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.)
The full development of the 147gr load will also include testing it crimped and un-crimped since is has a cannelure.
I could see that making a significant difference with this load in particular.

FWIW:
A good solid subsonic load for 220 SMK in a 10" barrel is 10.0 - 10.5 of A1680
Others have reported that the 1,000 fps mark renders some of the best accuracy.
Have not confirmed the accuracy claims yet, but the load is very quiet and should produce velocities right @ 1,000 fps.
The AAC recommended load of 11.2 grains of A1680 has yielded velocities closer to 1,100 fps and has generated quite a bit of transonic noise in my testing.

The weather has been pretty poor here.
Even though I only have to step out my back door, it has been to wet and nasty to gather good data.
The other issue is that I'm still running the GEN1 Forster dies and would prefer to have the new ones prior to any serious testing.

What little experimentation that I have been able to do, has helped me narrow done some of the loads I will be testing though.
H335 will be dropped as a powder choice.
It functions fine, but leaves un-burnt powder all over the bolt carrier & lower receiver.

I have definitely proven that the upper receiver confirmation that I'm running is good to go though.
Even with grossly underpowered loads, the action has cycled and locked back on an empty mag every time.
Conversely, hot supersonic loads have not exhibited any significant pressure signs and have had next to no "gas face" effects either.

As to whether the Wilson Combat barrel would be a good match to you, I can't say.
Are you planning on using this suppressed at all?
If not, then I would be a lot less worried about getting a barrel that is able to handle the 147gr super sonic loads.
I can say with confidence that the AAC & Noveske barrels have gas ports / systems that are well tuned for this cartridge.

Since the 300 BLK project is my newest toy, I am anxious to shoot it as much as possible.
Hopefully that will result in more test data posted up here.
(Sooner than later…)

hi guys, any idea who makes the projectiles for the 300blk 123gr mc supersonic rounds and where can i buy them? wanted to make a super sonic load just for plinking...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">warriorsociologist,

FWIW:
A good solid subsonic load for 220 SMK in a 10" barrel is 10.0 - 10.5 of A1680
Others have reported that the 1,000 fps mark renders some of the best accuracy.
Have not confirmed the accuracy claims yet, but the load is very quiet and should produce velocities right @ 1,000 fps.
The AAC recommended load of 11.2 grains of A1680 has yielded velocities closer to 1,100 fps and has generated quite a bit of transonic noise in my testing.
</div></div>

I have a AAC 9" and the supersonic mark for the 220gr SMK is around 11grs of AA1680. I'm aiming for 10.8 just to try and keep it subsonic in the hot months. Your info is correct being that you're using the 10" bbl, AAC is for a 9".

I also got a load together using 125gr Nosler ballistic tip. I don't have load data in front of me but IIRC I used 18grs of H110. Not crazy accurate but it IS a 9 inch barrel. I had no problem smacking a 10" gong at 220yds.

I finally finished my Savage .300BLK build today. Gonna go test some 240gr SMKs tomorrow. Might try and shoot a coyote with one of the 125gr noslers. If I get one I'll post pics of wound.

I contacted SSK/JD Jones and got some .300 whisper data that could be used for .300BLK. Theoretically should be able to push it hotter, careful.