• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 blk load suggestions?

MO Fugga

Asshole
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2024
Midwest
Made it to the fun store today, scored a few components. Looking for A1680, no dice. So out of this list, what do y'all suggest?

Bullets: Berry's 220, Hornady 190 Sub-X, Hornady 150 FMJ-BT

Powder: H110, Reloder 7, CFE-BLK, Lil gun

Primers: CCI 400, CCI BR-4, Remington 7 1/2 bench rest, Murom kvb556m magnums (Russian brand I never heard of)

Slim pickings, but it's snowing tomorrow, need something to do. Thanks for the help!

From that list.... 190 Su-X, CFE-BLK, and CCI 400

JFR

Reactions: MO Fugga
I've seen that one listed in a few places. Shooting unsuppressed, 7.5" and 10.3" ARs. Most of my reloading experience is .458 Socom, which is an extremely forgiving and easy round to load.

20240216_190816.jpg

They sure are purty. Hodgdon's says CFE-BLK is 12.3 max load, .76cc autodisk throws 11.9 -12.1, seated to 2.05. Speer nickel brass, cci 400 primer. We'll see!

One thing to watch with Lil Gun is that with supers....your barrel get HOT
Well, all I have are the vanilla 150s, and some 150 ballistic Silvertip flat base I pulled off of some .30-06.

ETA: those Makers look nasty as fuck!

Here's a Hornady 190 sub-x shot into gel. I think impact velocity was around 750 fps. Of course I did this in 2018, so I pulled a few and downloaded
them for a lower velocity.
MVIMG_20180218_142650 (3).jpg

You had me until unsuppressed. May I recommend the 45 ACP for a more concealable equivalent?

Just teasing 🤣 I get it. You're probably waiting on the can or in a state that prevents it. I've used 9.5 H110 with 190 and 200gr bullets to cycle ARs. My bolt gun load is 5.7gr of Longshot it's the quietest powder charge I've found but won't reliably cycle a gas gun. I've never used CFE Black but I've heard it needs something like 110% case capacity. Lil Gun could be a good in between'r from H110 and a faster pistol powder like Longshot. I use that in my 338 Spectre. It's just a bit slower than Longshot which pressures out in the Spectre case at 8gr and 850fps. Lil Gun will push a 300gr Maker to 1050 with 8.8gr and no pressure.

I'd recommend you shoot those SUB X into meat to test them before you go whole hog on them. I've tested them in pork shoulders covered in denim backed back water jugs and they generally penciled.

1000003899.png

Compared to a 200gr Maker (middle row, left end)
1000003910.png

All the rest of those bullets in that photo were shot into the same medium.

You had me until unsuppressed. May I recommend the 45 ACP for a more concealable equivalent?

Just teasing 🤣 I get it. You're probably waiting on the can or in a state that prevents it. I've used 9.5 H110 with 190 and 200gr bullets to cycle ARs. My bolt gun load is 5.7gr of Longshot it's the quietest powder charge I've found but won't reliably cycle a gas gun. I've never used CFE Black but I've heard it needs something like 110% case capacity. Lil Gun could be a good in between'r from H110 and a faster pistol powder like Longshot. I use that in my 338 Spectre. It's just a bit slower than Longshot which pressures out in the Spectre case at 8gr and 850fps. Lil Gun will push a 300gr Maker to 1050 with 8.8gr and no pressure.

I'd recommend you shoot those SUB X into meat to test them before you go whole hog on them. I've tested them in pork shoulders covered in denim backed back water jugs and they generally penciled.

View attachment 8352044
Compared to a 200gr Maker (middle row, left end)
View attachment 8352045

All the rest of those bullets in that photo were shot into the same medium.
I've got an adjustable gas block and a variety of buffers to knock around to test feeding, just need to get to the range. Haven't decided on a can and haven't set up a trust yet. Thanks for the info!

I've got an adjustable gas block and a variety of buffers to knock around to test feeding, just need to get to the range. Haven't decided on a can and haven't set up a trust yet. Thanks for the info!
SilencerShop or Capitol Armory. Best thing I can tell you if you're buying your first can