• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 BLK Scope + Mini Holographic recs for a self-proclaimed "Magnification Whore"

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Edit: I'm simplifying this in an effort to get more responses.

I have a 300 Blackout that will be used mainly for hog hunting and some whitetail hunting. I realize nobody really needs anything more than a 4 power scope for this cartridge, but I am a magnification whore and want more magnification that I need. While it would be out of the ordinary, I want to be confident taking a 300 yard shot on a big buck if the opportunity presented itself.

Current set up:
US Optics SR8 1-8 in a Badger mount.

Set up I'm considering:
A higher quality 3-12/15x50/56 with a Mini Holographic sight mounted on the side or top of the scope mount. The holographic takes care of anything I would use 1-3 power range of the scope, and then opens up the higher magnification range that I like.

What would the pros and cons of this set up be? Note: I know I don't "need" a 12 power scope with a 300 Blackout.

Last edited:
There have been lots of views of this thread, but no responses.... mainly I think, because no such scope currently exists that meets all of your criteria.

If you want the widest magnification range in the industry, a March would fit the bill. The 2.5-25x42 or 3-24x42 would both be a great size and weight for a walking rifle. Too bad the illuminated versions are so damn much more money than the non. I also am a mag whore, but in reality, 10x is plenty for even long shots on anything bigger than 2moa targets, imo. I can't really see the need for over 10x given the range of the best supers from a 300 blk. But I agree, it is nice to have more if it doesn't cost too much in compromises.
Are you happy with the USO but just wishing it went higher than 8x? The IOR Terminator 1-10x is another 10x ratio scope out now, I've read good reports, though heavy. I've looked at the Spartan 2-12x too, heard some good and bad about them. The newest 3.5-18x42 IOR would be cool, with its dual zero setup, though again, they're heavy.
The most favored mini-red dot on the market is the Aimpoint Micro, also the most expensive. If it were me, I'd try out some other 1-8x, 1-10x, 2-12x setups and see if they feel better than the USO. I'm surprised you don't like the glass too much, you might like the March or IOR glass better. The Leupold mk6 is nice, but again, illumination prices skyrocket.

The Nightforce 2.5-10x42 may ought to be at the top of your list to check out, with zero stop and illumination. I can't see any realistic limitations that scope would have with the 300 blk. Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm Mil-R Riflescope C461 for sale! - EuroOptic.com

A Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 would help appease the mag whore in you, but it is a little more costly in weight and price. http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-f1-35-15x50-mrad-zero-stop-mlr2-c359.aspx

Last edited:
I should clarify. I meant to say 10 power, not meaning to say 10x magnification. HUGE difference between 10 power (which could be a 2.5-10.....which is 4x magnification) and saying 10x which would be a 1-10 scope.

Find a demo 3-12x56 Steiner Tactical; that should fit your budget and also have the big objective for twilight/night. Me personally I don't like >6x inside 300 unless I'm punching holes in paper, but hey, rock that shit.

Find a demo 3-12x56 Steiner Tactical; that should fit your budget and also have the big objective for twilight/night. Me personally I don't like >6x inside 300 unless I'm punching holes in paper, but hey, rock that shit.
This is pretty much along the lines of what I had in mind when starting the thread, but I wanted to see what others what said first. I don't think I did a very good job describing the magnification/power range I was looking for by using "10x" and things of that nature. Steiner 3-12x56 or Nightforce 3.5-15x50 mounted in the Spuhr with a mini EOTech would be a great set up and are the first two scopes I thought of myself. Nice to hear those were included in the first 2 responses. Not saying that one of the higher mag range scopes (USO 1-8 or 1.8-10, Leupold 1-8, etc) wouldn't be pretty cool, but by sacrificing the lower 1-3 range and having to deal with a secondary sight at those distances would allow me to have magnification up in the 12-15 range. So if I was sitting in tree overlooking a 70 acre oat patch, and the Muy Grande steps into the field at the far end, I can be confident when taking that 300 yard (or whatever the max length shot for my load) shot. Definitely don't "need" that much magnification to make the shot, but since I practice with that much, my confidence is best at those levels. Plus, I'll be able to shoot groups with the rifle, which I'll end up doing more of than hunting in the long run. And that's what ultimately drove this desire to change the current set up. I was at the range zeroing the scope, and wanted more magnification. I also realize another solution would be to stop being a magnification whore and use a fixed 10x scope to shoot out to 1000 like the rest of the real shooters do. Alas....I'm no professional!

Thanks for your help fellas. I welcome any and all other replies.

Been doing some research, and I'm mulling over my decision now. Here's my options:

I read a few more reviews about the US Optics SR-8 I have on it now, and I got behind the scope one more time. I've changed my mind about the glass as it's considerably better on this scope than on the last USO scope I had, and that's what the reviews were saying too. I do like how the 1x is a true 1x and the scope can be used the same as a red dot with the reticle illumination on. And the only real "problem", and its not really a problem, but the only time I find myself wanting more magnification is when shooting groups at 100 yards. Contemplating just sticking with it for awhile to see how I like it.

I have an offer on the table for a Steiner Military 3-12x50 that's in like new condition, Spuhr cantilever mount, and a mini EOTech with 3.5 MOA dot. I would be able to sell the US Optics 1-8 and get into this set up with no extra money out of pocket.

Or looking at the NF NXS F1 3.5-15 with Spurh and mini Eotech. Just haven't found a good enough deal on the scope to put me into the whole set up without having to come out of pocket with a couple hundred more than the US Optics. Also have never owned a NF, but I know they're the bees knees.

Tell me what you would do and why.

I wouldn't change a thing. You have a suppressed .300BLK SBR under it, are using it in a practical sense in the field, and have one of the best scopes out there when it comes to versatility. Magnification whore or not, if 8x isn't enough to quarter a target inside 300yds or make positive ID on game, then you have far bigger problems and need to see an eye doctor or a marksmanship coach.

I wouldn't change a thing. You have a suppressed .300BLK SBR under it, are using it in a practical sense in the field, and have one of the best scopes out there when it comes to versatility. Magnification whore or not, if 8x isn't enough to quarter a target inside 300yds or make positive ID on game, then you have far bigger problems and need to see an eye doctor or a marksmanship coach.
I agree with that. I mainly wanted the magnification for shooting groups, which is something else I like to do. But I have a 3.5-18 on another rifle with an American Rifle Co mount, so I can just swap it out whenever I want to punch paper. The mount for scopes theoretically holds it's zero, and that's close enough. I'll just have to do a quick re-zeroing confirmation whenever I change them out. Thanks for the advice.

Damn, your over thinking this! I have a Daniel Defense 300 BLK that I put an Acog scope on. I'm 100% at whatever I pull the trigger on. Granted, all of my kills are under 100 yards, that's the situation I find myself most of the time on my lease in central Tx. I'm going to put a Lupy 2-7 illuminated on it ASAP. But shit, it's a close quarter knock down gun. Pigs don't stand a chance with my 130 gr Speer HP. And the deer drop like flies with my 150 gr. I've shot 110 gr to 150 gr from 100 yds to 200 yds at the range, and the hold overs are very little. Amazing rifle!
Go Hunt and be happy. Lol