• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blk subsonic supressed build.

parkze17

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
Parker, PA United States
I am down to the core of the build. I need to choose the barrel, and gas system for this build. I was curious what combos guys are using to get everything to cycle correctly and be accurate. I was originally going with an sbr but I am leaning towards a 16 inch barrel now. I have always loved Lothar Walther barrels maybe carbine length gas system and was leaning towards a jp adjustable gas block. I will be using a templar tactical archangel suppressor. I was hoping to load some sort of subsonic round maybe using the same 208 grain amax's that are being used out of my bolt gun. Any suggestions would be welcome for barrel gas system and ammo. This is my first AR build so any help is very welcome.

I went the SBR route. I got my tax stamp back last month and was able to find a Noveske 8.2" barrel in stock at Midway. I wanted the 1/7 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets. My barrel is not here yet but I don't think there is a lot of problems getting them to run suppressed. Supposedly, the gas ports are tuned to run subs suppressed and supers without a suppressor. If you are going to run supers unsuppressed you may want an adjustable gas block. I would use the Syrac Ordnance gas block. It has a detent so your setting will not move unless you want it to move. I have the JP gas block and it has worked well on my game gun but I prefer the detent for piece of mind. Not to mention I took my Syrac apart and lost a piece of it. Syrac's customer service was outstanding.

The 2 300BLK's I built both ran Noveske barrels with the pistol-length gas system and the included non-adjustable gas block.

The 16" would run subs with a can, with a lighter buffer and standard carbine action spring. For supersonic ammo I ran a T2 buffer and Wolff XP action spring.

The 12.2" would run either ammo as well, using just a standard carbine action spring and H buffer.

*Personally not a fan of adj. gas-blocks. Adjustability is a double-edge sword IMO, you can either get it right, or get it wrong.

Skip the adjustable gas block. I have a 16" carbine gas that runs subs as long as you load them with A1680, but my 9.5" pistol gas runs with everything. I would stick to a pistol gas system.

midway is showing a 16 inch carbine gas barrel by aac instock . since aac says there mission statement was to be able to run sub-sonic and super-sonic with or with out a suppressor with one gas port size it might be the way to go . for the record I have a smith and wesson 16 inch carbine gassed gun and it runs subs with or with out the suppressor . you will find the heavier the bullet the better it runs when it comes to subs . I prefer 225 grain hornadys but hornady has dropped the ball and theres none to be found and I am out so I picked up some 208 amax saturday . I also have an 8.5 inch pistol build and I have no issues with subs through it. use 1680 powder and you will be good to go .
my remington 700 blackout cycles everything . ok I will quit being a dumb ass now.

For shooting subs use pistol length gas. For supersonic and subs you can get it to run with carbine gas. It just might take some more work.

Anyone use a Noveske 16 inch with the pistol gas system? What buffer would be best paired with a pistol length gas system?

I ran a standard carbine with that barrel and it worked fine. I also ran it on my precision lower that has a prs stock with a rifle buffer and it worked fine as well. Didnt try the rifle buffer with subs as I was doing super load development but carbine runs everything fine. Having said that this cartridge is a lot more fun with a short barrel. I enjoy it a lot more packing it around the woods with a 7" shorter barrel.

Im running a 10" barrel, pistol gas, regular gas block, spikes H2 buffer, Auto bolt carrier, standard carbine spring. It runs the factory 208gr Horaday subs no problem. I am still on the hunt for some A1680 but I did find some IMR4227 that I am still working up a load for. As of now, I have tried 8gr under some 208s and they seem slower than the factory rounds and have about a 30% fail to cycle rate. I think maybe 8.5gr or 9grs will get me there. I also run this with a pinned and welded Form 1 suppressor to make it a 16.5" barrel length under just one stamp.

I just went with total AAC. 9" AAC SBR and AAC suppressor. I figure they're going to have everything set up to run. Even using the Remington ammo. It's all supposedly designed to go hand in hand so Freedom Group supplied everything on my Blackout.

Anyone use a Noveske 16 inch with the pistol gas system? What buffer would be best paired with a pistol length gas system?

For me, I ended up with a T2 buffer and Wolff XP spring on the 16" Noveske barrel with pistol-length gas.

YMMV depending on ammo used.

*Double-Edged, make sure your block is secured. Fellow I shoot with has the 9" AAC set-up (factory) and the gas block wasn't secured. Had a hell of a time figuring out why it'd choke after the first few rounds, until he finally noticed the block was out of alignment.

I've got 2 blackout AR rifles. The first one I built has a 16" SOTA barrel with a 1:8 twist, carbine system. I've had it for a couple years.

I recently built a SBR with an 8.2" barrel from ICE arms. It is a 1:8 twist pistol system. I did put an adjustable gas block on this one. Shooting 220gr subs I had to do some tweaking to get it to cycle right. With the supressor on and gas block all the way open it wouldn't lock the bolt back. I ended up putting a jp silent capture buffer in it and now it locks the bolt back. And quieter too.

The 16" cycles supers and subs just fine. Both suppressed and unsuppressed. Im loading the 220gr with 10.8gr of 1680. And my 208gr Amax with 10.2gr 1680.

The blackout is one of my favorite calibers but they can be finicky. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A 16" is a practical choice for the supersonic loads:

IMG_3289.JPG

An 8.2" designed to only be shot suppressed:

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Heat is transferred via conduction, convection, and radiation. All three conspire to give you a hot-hot-hot forend! Don't forget your gloves.

The best format for a suppressed SBR, IMO:

pix945155518.jpg

The 10.2" length with accompanying 9 5/8" length forend gives you enough real estate to drive the gun with the mass of the suppressor out front. And the forend won't fry your support hand.

But, in the V-SBR category, there's little that can top an 8.2" - 9.2" .300 BLK with the NEA Compact Carbine stock on board. Please say hello to my little friend:

IMG_3442.JPG

Last edited: