• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK upper or rifle in 300BLK?

b0xcrash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
TN
Thoughts?

I have a Daniel Defense M4 v3, in 5.56 already.
Should I buy a upper or another rifle in 300BLK from Daniel?

DD does not seem to have a 300BLK upper out yet, and when they do I bet it won't be off the price of the full rifle anyway.

So if the DD upper is out of the game, who makes a great full upper for a good price in 300BLK that won't dissapoint on the DD lower?
Or just grab a full rifle in 300BLK.
Thanks.
smile.gif

Re: 300 BLK upper or rifle in 300BLK?

You could do just a barrel swop in 300 BLK OUT, and use your existing upper. I have seen several guys do this. If you want an upper, Model 1, CMMW, and Ross Precision have uppers. When you need ammo, look HERE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could do just a barrel swop in 300 BLK OUT, and use your existing upper. I have seen several guys do this. If you want an upper, Model 1, CMMW, and Ross Precision have uppers. When you need ammo, look HERE. </div></div>

Cool thanks a bunch.
smile.gif

Yeah I forgot to point out I want to be able to use it in 5.56 in a short amount of time as well, so barrel swap not that convinent.
Swapping a upper out is quick and I can do it in the field. Just wondering cost wise and investment wise if a upper is smarter than another gun in 300BLK.

Everything I do is not only for myself, but also for my sons future investment wise.

Just be careful swapping uppers with those two calibers... same magazines, but very different rounds. All to easy to swap and pick up the "wrong" bullet loaded in the "right" magazine. Even better mark and keep 300 blkout only mags. Clear out all mags/rounds of the previous caliber before resuming fire.

I swap uppers between 300 blackout and 7.62x39. Each requires it's own magazine and the differences are obvious. If you're not paying attention it's possible to load 5.56 rounds on top of 300 blackout rounds in the same mag. Can't imagine anything good would come getting the wrong mix.

Oh and my 300 blkout upper is a 10" Rouge Hunter from Noveske. Love it. Cycles flawlessly with subs and super-sonics. Suppressed with subs all you really hear is the action.

I'd get a separate rifle altogether and use a different color furniture/mags for that rifle. I'd hate to see a kaboom.

I've toyed with an SBR in .300 blk, but I've decided to let it alone for now as I'd hate my fiancee to have a problem since she's an AR shooter, too and has a tendency to shoot my ammo.

I wanted the same thing both the 5.56 and the 300 Blackout uppers. I went to the MRP platform from LMT. Now I just switch barrels to have my 10.5” 5.56 and my Noveske 10.5” 300AAAC Blackout from the same upper and the same optics and accessories. I like my lower and I am comfortable with the trigger set-up so it makes no sense to change lowers.

As far as keeping my ammo separate I use Black magazines for 5.56 and FDE for my 300 Blackout. If you get the two mixed up it will not go boom. The 5.56 will not seat in the 300 barrel because where the case is neck down the cartridge will not engage all the way so the bolt is not aligned in the firing position. The 300 will not seat in the 5.56 barrel because the bullet diameter is too large for the cartridge to engage all the way down and the bolt will not align to the firing position. In either case if you squeeze the trigger it will only go click as the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt carrier and not the firing pin.

SBR3001.jpg

SBR5563.jpg

The 300 will not seat in the 5.56 barrel because the bullet diameter is too large for the cartridge to engage all the way down and the bolt will not align to the firing position. In either case if you squeeze the trigger it will only go click as the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt carrier and not the firing pin.

This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too.</div></div>

Got any links to these examples?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 will not seat in the 5.56 barrel because the bullet diameter is too large for the cartridge to engage all the way down and the bolt will not align to the firing position. In either case if you squeeze the trigger it will only go click as the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt carrier and not the firing pin.

This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too. </div></div>

I would love to see any examples of this too. I have never seen anything like that. On the 300blktalk board the forum section for "Major Malfunction" does not have a single post. I am including two photos the first one is a 5.56 in a 5.56 barrel. The second is a 300aac blackout in a 5.56 barrel. I do not know about anyone else but I cannot fire the AR15 unless the barrel is seated in the chamber and it is locked into place. I have had to use the forward assist when my guns have gotten dirty or very hot. The forward assist was added to the M16/AR15 platform due to the fact you cannot fire the gun unless the bolt is locked into place. It is physically impossible to fire the gun with a 300aac blackout round in the chamber of the 5.56. Let me take that back, if you hammer the bullet down or reshape it to fit into the breach of the 5.56 barrel then you could but other than that, it cannot be done.

This is a picture of a properly seated 5.56 round in a 5.56 barrel.

Closedbolt.jpg

This is a picture of the 300aac blackout round in a 5.56 barrel.

Boltwith300aacBlackout.jpg

I might be wrong but I do not think so. If anyone has any other information or any pictures of how you can make a 300aac blackout round fire in the 5.56 barrel let me know.

Like I said I keep my rounds in differnt magazines but even if I did mix them up then I know that my gun will go "click" and not "bang" or "boom".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Colorado Glock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SBR3001.jpg

SBR5563.jpg

</div></div>

Nice rifle.

Thanks for the info guys. Great stuff.
I wondered if Noveske had a 300 BLK upper, I bet it costs about the same as the Daniel Defense full rifle in 300BLK.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b0xcrash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wondered if Noveske had a 300 BLK upper, I bet it costs about the same as the Daniel Defense full rifle in 300BLK.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yep. Upper: Noveske 300AAC - 10 LP runs about $1300....and if I do a SBR upper I have to tax stamp also, which I have never done before....man I would love to have that Noveske upper though.
That thing looks super sick, and with a VLTOR MUR receiver its going to give me some wet dreams for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too.</div></div>

Got any links to these examples? </div></div>

Not going to vouch for the authenticity, but I stumbled into this a couple weeks ago. It's what really got me thinking about separating magazine and being extra careful. As with anything on the net who really knows what the "true" story is.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=85065&start=24#p1893066

Ok - here's what looks like the same rifle/story with more of an explanation...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...=1#post74708545

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too.</div></div>

Not going to vouch for the authenticity, but I stumbled into this a couple weeks ago. It's what really got me thinking about separating magazine and being extra careful. As with anything on the net who really knows what the "true" story is.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=85065&start=24#p1893066

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...=1#post74708545</div></div>

Hmm interesting, so yeah good idea to keep the ammo in separate, easily identified magazines, to avoid the extremely one off this could happen when the moons and etc. are aligned just right.
smile.gif

Not worth the chance everything would happen right and it would chamber it deep enough to pop the primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzhitshard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a true statement. There are a handful of destroyed guns to show it too.</div></div>
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...=1#post74708545 </div></div>

Quoted from that link ".300 Blackout mistakenly chambered into a 5.56 gun...big badaboom"

How does one shove a .30 dia projectile down a .223 bore unless he took a mallett to the fwd assist and stuffed it back into the case?

I keep coming back to these photos.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Colorado Glock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is a picture of a properly seated 5.56 round in a 5.56 barrel.
Closedbolt.jpg

This is a picture of the 300aac blackout round in a 5.56 barrel.
Boltwith300aacBlackout.jpg
</div></div>

Thank you for the photos Colorado Glock, once again the bullet had the last word.

I'm not intending to be a dick to SABuzzard, the photos speak for themselves.

Nice!
Just what I am looking to do.
How much $ do you have tied up into that rig?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Colorado Glock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted the same thing both the 5.56 and the 300 Blackout uppers. I went to the MRP platform from LMT. Now I just switch barrels to have my 10.5&#148; 5.56 and my Noveske 10.5&#148; 300AAAC Blackout from the same upper and the same optics and accessories. I like my lower and I am comfortable with the trigger set-up so it makes no sense to change lowers.

As far as keeping my ammo separate I use Black magazines for 5.56 and FDE for my 300 Blackout. If you get the two mixed up it will not go boom. The 5.56 will not seat in the 300 barrel because where the case is neck down the cartridge will not engage all the way so the bolt is not aligned in the firing position. The 300 will not seat in the 5.56 barrel because the bullet diameter is too large for the cartridge to engage all the way down and the bolt will not align to the firing position. In either case if you squeeze the trigger it will only go click as the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt carrier and not the firing pin.

SBR3001.jpg

SBR5563.jpg

</div></div>

My kit consists of the fallowing items:

Colt SBR lower
Timney trigger
Magpul MIAD grip
Phase 5 Tactical REVO-SASS
B5 SOPMOD stock
Battleline Industries SAPR

LMT MRP CQB upper
Troy Battlesights both front and rear
EoTech EXPS-3
Aimpoint 3X magnifier
Aimpoint twist mount on ½” riser
Larue FUG with custom mono-pod insert
Inova Inforce light with QD mount

LMT 5.56 barrel at 10.5”
LMT QD Phantom mount flash hider

Ciener .22 conversion unit

Noveske 300aac Blackout barrel at 10.5”
DBMG conversion to MRP platform
LMT QD Phantom mount flash hider

TROS 9mm barrel at 5” with 3-lug mount
DBMG conversion to MRP platform
Colt 9mm bolt
Hahn conversion block

Gemtech Trinity 9mm suppressor with 3-lug mount

YHM Titanium Phantom 7.62 suppressor for both 5.56 and 300blk (not in my hands yet, curse you BATF&E)

The entire package fits into a Remington MSC case

I really do not want to think about how much I have into the whole package at all. I have done lots of trading for parts back on forth over the years to compile the whole thing. I do not mind used parts so most of the larger items were used and that is a huge savings if I could not trade for them. On top of all the parts I have three tax stamps on the gun also. That was a wasted 600.00 that I can never recoup back. I have enjoyment with this package that no amount of money could ever add up to.

SBRkit2.jpg