• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 BLK/Whisper SBR's on game

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I've been kicking around the idea of a 8-9" BLK for general purpose killing on the farm.
Having a M&P 15-22 with a can has basically sealed the deal.
Shots are always under 200 yards, usually 50-150.
22lr can do a fair amount of that but I want more smack.

Wondering what experience folks are having with theirs on meat?
I'm a fan of light Barnes bullets in my 223AI but would likely lean heavily on the economical Hornady 110's and 208's.

I also want to know what kind of accuracy to expect from the 110 VMAX/Barnes and 208 Amax's.
I have had a tough time getting a consistently accurate subsonic load in my 308,
is it easier with the BLK/Whisper?

I'm thinking SBR so that I have a rifle that is the same size as my 16" AR to have in the truck/on the tractor but isn't so loud.
My 223AI with a can sounds like a 22 to the other residents, that's perfect for me.
Is there any advantage to a 12" over a 8-9"?
I have a fair wait due to the ATF and backorder/hoarder spree to think it over.

Last edited:
I have a 16" AR in 300blk that packs a punch with the 110g vmax. I have used it to drop smaller deer and one coyote that came too close. Wound channels look nice, not too large, but gets the job done. I dont know how it'll perform in with a can, as I live in Kalifornia, but it's my go to for pigs and close quarter killin.

I have killed a few pigs with the Remington model 7 in 300 BLK. I always shot them in the ear and it ALWAYS did the job. Easy to find components for it and no recoil.

My 10" 300 groups very well with everything I have put through it from 110-220. Has taken deer, hogs and coyotes very well. The Barnes 110 black tips are also very good food for that round.

220smks and 208amaxs group fine (2" at 100) and 110vmaxs are 1" on average. This is with a 16" barrel and a yhm 7.62 qd titanium. If you want to sling the supers fast(relative) then I'd go with a longer barrel. If you're going to mostly shoot subs then the 8" will be fine. 100yds is about as far as I'd want to go with subs. It requires 8moa for the same poi with subs at 100 and a lot more after that.

Use subs for hunting if you want the challenge, for much of the same reason that people bow hunt. Otherwise use supers. I've killed several pigs now with my 9" pushing 110 V-max's at 2150 fps. It is pleasant to shoot with the suppressor and hits pretty hard. The V-max's DO NOT pass through pigs in my experience. One night I had 2 pigs running across a field as I shot them with NV, and it took no less than 6 shots each. These were obviously bad shots, too far back. None of the shots were pass thrus, and I was not going to cut the nasty things open to examine the wounds. If you have the time to make a proper heart/lung shot, it will drop them just as well as anything else. The lesson here is that shot placement is what really matters, but the 300 BLK does hit harder than a .223.

The hog was shot at about 85 yds from an elevated swamp buggy. Hog was facing left and slightly turned towards me. Bullet entered about 3" behind ear and drove through angled down and exited. The hog was facing off with a dog and upon being shot folded straight down dead. I was not able to recover the bullet as it exited through.

The bullet used was a Lehigh Defense 194 gr subsonic maximum expansion. This bullet acts like a subsonic version of a Barnes TSX. They are accurate out of my rifle and hold a consistent 1.5" group at 75 yards with the first shot being dead on. I'm going to play around with this bullet some more but initial test lead me to believe that it will be effective an subsonic expanding round. I'd have no fear using it on deer and hogs under 150 yards. Without more penetration test, I can't comment on how it would preform on larger game (elk or moose), past initially saying I believe it would penetrate enough and cause enough damage with a lung/heart shot to humanly secure them at closer ranges. Shot placement would be critical.

194me_f_unf__54506.1372352447.1280.1280.jpg

photo1_zps7954b9ee.jpg

entrance wound

photo9_zpsc8c6cb15.jpg

quartering wounds

photo7_zpseff8cfcd.jpg

photo6_zpsa2101c72.jpg

exit hole

photo5_zpse8664c0a.jpg

Last edited:
The hog was shot at about 85 yds from an elevated swamp buggy. Hog was facing left and slightly turned towards me. Bullet entered about 3" behind ear and drove through angled down and exited. The hog was facing off with a dog and upon being shot folded straight down dead. I was not able to recover the bullet as it exited through.

The bullet used was a Lehigh Defense 194 gr subsonic maximum expansion. This bullet acts like a subsonic version of a Barnes TSX. They are accurate out of my rifle and hold a consistent 1.5" group at 75 yards with the first shot being dead on. I'm going to play around with this bullet some more but initial test lead me to believe that it will be effective an subsonic expanding round. I'd have no fear using it on deer and hogs under 150 yards. Without more penetration test, I can't comment on how it would preform on larger game (elk or moose), past initially saying I believe it would penetrate enough and cause enough damage with a lung/heart shot to humanly secure them at closer ranges. Shot placement would be critical.

I dont know if I'd go as far as elk or moose, but thats what makes the AR in this cal. nice. 3-4 rounds in the vitals will kill probably anything you want to eat.

I dont know if I'd go as far as elk or moose, but thats what makes the AR in this cal. nice. 3-4 rounds in the vitals will kill probably anything you want to eat.

I believe this bullet will get 15"-20" penetration under 50 yards. I don't believe it would preform well at subsonic speeds hitting big bones. It's all speculation as I would never use this particular round on either. I'm sure somebody will get around to using it and we'll read about the results.

For deer/hog this bullet works well subsonic. Hopefully more manufactures will produce similar technology for the blackout as the round gains in popularity.

Last edited: