• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blkout. Where are you getting 16 inch barrels?

Biggie1976

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2017
Rock Hill SC
Having a 300 blkout bolt gun built just wondering where y’all are getting the short barrel blanks or are you getting a longer barrel and having them cut down to size?

That’s what I figured. That’s why I asked. I appreciate the response

If I was building a 300blk bolt gun I'd be using this barrel and having my Smith contour and chop to whatever size I wanted.

Unfortunately they are out of stock like most everything else these days..

Reactions: Biggie1976
If I was building a 300blk bolt gun I'd be using this barrel and having my Smith contour and chop to whatever size I wanted.

Unfortunately they are out of stock like most everything else these days..

Did that say 63 bucks?

Sure does. It's a gunsmith blank that needs contoured. I've used and shot MANY of these. Shoot great.
Dang. That would be the ticket. I’m not against buying a regular blank just didn’t know if y’all know a place that had them at 16 already. Thanks again for the information

I'd highly recommend getting a slow twist. I just built a 300BO 14.5" AR on a 1:12" twist McGowen barrel. I'm getting up to 2500fps using 110 bullets. I get flattened primers at 21gr of H110 and 2500. No pressure signs at 20gr H110 at 2400. If you read some of the 300 HAMR threads they're barely any faster. I think a slow barrel twist helps you pick up some serious speed. And those McGowen barrel's shoot.

10X scope at 100yds. 110 TAC TX going 2425fps. Bipod and rear bag

View attachment 7812290
I’m wanting a 1/7 for this build

1:7" is required to stabilize heavy subsonic bullets. It will overspin a super sonic light bullet. Which really isn't an issue except you will hit pressure faster and as a result have a slower velocity.

Check out Bergers stability calculator. I don't know what bullet you intend to shoot but a Barnes 110 TAC TX is .875" without the plastic tip. 1.175 with. For stability purposes you need to go off the all metal length. The plastic tip doesn't factor into bullet length for stability purposes. It gives a false length. If you pick a twist rate that still stabilizes your bullet weight/ speed/ altitude but is on the slower side you can maximize velocity. If you use a way-safe overspin twist rate you will sacrifice speed. Look at Wilson's 300 HAMR twist rates. 1:12" and 1:13". Same bullets.

But beware, if you go 1:8" or slower you will never be able to shoot subsonics. They won't stabilize.

Thank you for the info. The Barnes 110 tac is what I’ve loaded and are shooting in my ARs.

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
Here's something else to consider. I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel bolt gun barrel. I throated it out and get 2650 with Barnes 115gr TAC TX bullets. If you chop 4" off (20fps per inch), you're still faster than a 300BO with almost the same bullet. But you know what's going to definitely push a 110 TAC TX faster than both? A 308W.
Agreed. I have a grendel as well and love the gun and round. Got a couple of AR10s in 308. One is 16 inch barrel and finishing a pistol build now with a 12 inch barrel.

Also to add My blkout pistol is 1/8 twist and my blkout rifle with 16 inch barrel is 1/7. Both AR platform