• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BO Dies

Zezeroni

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2020
Arizona, USA
So I really hate my hornady 300 blackout dies and found a rcbs full length set in stock which I'm more then likely going to buy but I found a 300 blackout rcbs small base die set in stock for cheaper can someone enlighten me on the small base die set and what its purpose is compared to a full length? I am shooting out of an AR platform. I just personally want to transition out of the hornady dies as I dont like mine in general so any help would be great

It’s a full length die. It’s just smaller where it sizes the base of the case.

If you have brass from a large oversize chamber and try to stick it in a tight chamber you’ll have issues because the normal die won’t size the base diameter enough, you’ll need the small base die to take the base down an extra thousandth or two for reliable chambering.

Usually it’s not an issue though. But when it is you have a small base die.

Reactions: Zezeroni
I would bypass the RCBS dies myself. And for sure skip the Lee. Lee works great for reloading however it really sucks for converting 223 to 300 BLK.

I use Forster and it's great. Been tempted to get a Mighty Armory one.

The Forster micrometer seating die is great too.

What is best and what is in stock might pose different challenges.