• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 BO pistol for Illinois white tail deer

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
I want to buy or build a 300 blackout for Illinois white tails. Does anyone have a pistol idea for the project? I am thinking a Remington 700 CP. As of right now the 700 cp in blackout is non existent. So I could buy a 223 and rebarrel. I could go full custom with a bighorn Origin. I am thinking a 12” barrel will get me the velocity I want. Any ideas on a arm brace? Really any info would be appreciated.

You planning on building a single shot? The way I read the rules it looks like thats the only option for a bolt pistol.
Screenshot_2019-12-28-17-43-22.png

I’ve been to Illinois seems like a 300blackout would be a handicap in that open country

I’ve been to Illinois seems like a 300blackout would be a handicap in that open country
A 110gr bullet at 2300fps will get further than the average hunter has any business shooting. Not all of IL is corn fields either, the whole northwest corner looks like WI.

I am currently shooting a 12 gauge slug gun. We can not use rifles to hunt deer in Illinois hence why I am interested in the Blackout.

If I had more property to hunt, I would do a muzzle loader conversion for my desert tech. Much better ballistics than the pistol options in my opinion. Some of the muzzleloaders are impressive as far as what they are capable of.

It sounds like you want a Pork Sword.

IMG_0159-1.jpg

Yes I think something similar to a pork sword would be what I am looking for. My question is would a Remington 700 cp with a arm brace and a bob sled be legal in Illinois to harvest a deer?

Within the last few months someone posted a similar thread and another member posted a photograph of an IL DNR letter advising it would be legal to run any kind of .300AAC “pistol” with a BobSled type device. They went so far as to say that an AR pistol upper with a BobSled would qualify. I can’t find the thread now unfortunately. Thought I posted in it, but I can’t find it in the listing of threads containing my posts.

I’m planning to do the same thing. If it concerns you enough that DNR won’t consider the BobSled a single-shot conversion, you could always just buy a dedicated single shot 700 receiver from PTG or NorthLandShootersSupply

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Was discussing this with my local FFL when I went in to buy some 350 Legend ammo last week for my PSA Sba3 complete pistol lower with a 350 legend upper. He shared this with me.
IMG_2720.jpg

And I had come across this post on another forum.
20200101_172451.jpg

I have an encore w a 6 inch barrel in 300 whisper. My kids and I have killed numerous deer with it. Super caliber, not too loud, not too much recoil. Puts the smack down on them.

Here is the information order from IDNR. As of the 2019 firearm season, it is still valid. They will send you a copy if you submit a FOIA request.

I used an AR platform with a 10 1/2” barrel and homemade bobsled, this past season. However, intend on building a bolt pistol, similar to the old XP100's, chambered in 300AAC for next season.
64622D74-BDC3-4DB0-B742-D3D8508B145E.jpeg

Could you just buy something like a 'honey badger' in .300 blk?

So I ended up going with a Prepper gun shop 8.5” pistol with arm brace in 300 blackout. Harvested 2 deer with Barnes 120 grain Tipped Ammo. Very good terminal performance on both deer. I still would like to try a Remington 700 type pistol I am just not sure on the cheek weld with that setup.

Reactions: A&8's
It seems like Q’s mini fix without a magazine would be legal in IL as well?