• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 grain scenar 338lm

Norwegian musher

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Norway
Anyone on here reloading 300grain scenar 338lm using n570?
AXMC barrell 9.35 twist

"everyone" says i should just try 88 grain thats the load for 300gr bullets in 338lm with N570..

2500 fps out of an 18” barrel, and 2675 fps out of a 26”

Anyone on here reloading 300grain scenar 338lm using n570?
AXMC barrell 9.35 twist

"everyone" says i should just try 88 grain thats the load for 300gr bullets in 338lm with N570..
A powder charge in one rifle does not always make for the perfect charge in another rifle. You can start at 88.0 gr, and if you do not see pressure signs, climb up on the next charge. One way of gaining ground, quickly on such a large total powder charge is to step up in 1.0 gr increments.

And so on. I look at each piece of brass, after it is fired. Extractor marks are typically an early sign of pressure. If you keep adding powder, often the extractor marks will get more pronounced. So stop adding powder. There is no sense in blowing primers and ruining brass.

After you have done your 1.0 gr increments, and you see one or more powder charges that looked the best, you can refine the load in .5 gr increments. 200 yard, or farther, white paper is how I perform load development.

Last week was a 300 Norma Mag and I performed the exact process mentioned. Last month was a .338 Lapua Mag, and it was also done the same way.

When you're working on something in the 300 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, ect size cartridges I begin with .5 gr powder charge steps.

.308 Win, and the like, I step in .3 gr increments.

.223 Rem, I step in .2 gr increments.

Reactions: Dogtown