• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 H&H Mag anyone?

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
I am resurrecting a nice old Rem 721 300 H&H. Original 26" barreled action in real nice pristine shape, gave up on finding original stock so I will fit it into a modern 700 wood stock. The action is smooth as glass and those long tapered shells really cycle easy. Ive never seen a Rem 721/722 that would not shoot real well, but I have not tried this one yet. I expect good accuracy from it.

Anyone have any experience with the 300H&H? I'd love to hear some feedback on these from guys who have used them. I'd like a few different loads for it. Something light and easy for small close deer and something beefy for long range elk. I may try something in 165ish grain and work up to a 220.

I am going to stick a refurbished vintage Redfield 3-9 on there and call it good.

Re: 300 H&H Mag anyone?

If you are going to use it for hunting and going to replace the stock, look at a synthetic. I shoot sierra 180 pro-hunters and 180 Nosler Partitions in my model-70 in .300 H&H.

I suggest you have your dealer contact Black Hills Shooters Supplies, they have Remington brand .300 H&H brass in stock. Sometimes it is hard to find.

Good luck

Jerry

300 H&H feels like an over powered 06, hornady makes factory ammo and has un primed brass too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to use it for hunting and going to replace the stock, look at a synthetic. I shoot sierra 180 pro-hunters and 180 Nosler Partitions in my model-70 in .300 H&H.

I suggest you have your dealer contact Black Hills Shooters Supplies, they have Remington brand .300 H&H brass in stock. Sometimes it is hard to find.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

I am old fashioned, really like the look and feel of wood and it has not let me down for what I use it for yet. My favorite hobby is to get my hands on neglected old wood stocks and breathe new life into them. I strip them down, steam out all the dents, sand them and put multiple hand rubbed oil coats back on. Most old Rem stocks had some decent wood hiding under all the crap put on at the factory.

Aluminum pillars and some bedding, they shoot good enough for me in most any condition. I don't shoot at my food farther than 450 yds away.

Good to talented in that way. Please post some pictures of your stock work.

good luck

Jerry

Jerry, here is a first version ADl stock I did. It was heavily scratched and dented, there was no clue as to what was hiding underneath the factory urethane.

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver014.jpg

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver019.jpg

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver020.jpg

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver021.jpg

Here is before and afters for a $100 JC Higgins (hi-standard) Pump I bought

Rem742HSStock742stocks014.jpg

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver013.jpg

JCHiggins270ADLnoliver011.jpg

If reloading for the H&H check the case head to shoulder dimension of new brass to fired brass. I have had as much as .050" difference new to fired which translates to enough case stretching that case head separation is a real possibility.

The old H&H is a great caliber and is tough to beat stuffed with 180 grainers.

The case head to shoulder dimension is of little concern with the belted mag, on initial firing. The belt controls headspace, while the pressure blows the case forward, to fill the space between it and the chamber. This doesn’t stretch the case.

If you headspace on the shoulder, after that, case stretching can be held to a minimum, or perhaps, none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The case head to shoulder dimension is of little concern with the belted mag, on initial firing. The belt controls headspace, while the pressure blows the case forward, to fill the space between it and the chamber. This doesn’t stretch the case.

If you headspace on the shoulder, after that, case stretching can be held to a minimum, or perhaps, none. </div></div>

You are correct that the case does headspace on the the belt but you are wrong about having concern of the case expanding\stretching to fit the chamber.
You obviously have never had a case head separation.
I have owned 3 of the 721's chambered for 300 H&H and the chambers were cut to a generous shoulder length.

Yes of course once fired brass can be sized to headspace on the shoulder but given the minimal shoulder of the H&H I am not sure that it is very effective.

I have over 1200 rounds thru one of my 300 H&H rifles and I discard brass from that rifle after three firings due to propensity for case head separations.

That being said none of the other six rifles I have chambered for belted mags have such issues.

Do yourself a favor if you reload for your 300 H&H go ahead and check your brass for case head separation with a bent paper clip or other type wire device with a small hook.

Saying casehead to shoulder dimension is of little concern is some of the worst advice I have read on this forum.
Fired brass lengthens to fit the chamber it is fired in, it is in your best interest to know how much it does if you plan on reloading and especially multiple firings of the same brass.

I have not reloaded nor used the H & H. It is without mistake that this round needs the belt.

The bigger problem can probably be found in the headspace (belt length sizing). Compared to the headspace distance, it might open your eyes, when you realize it. Then again, maybe you're lucky, and this spacing will be small. If it's long, it might be the source of the problem (causing case setback).

If you're resizing too much, same problem as any other cartridge.

So tell me, How much have you verified case stretching on the first firing? Or, subsequent firings? How many before you experience case head failure in your rifle?

longshooter did you read my first post?
The whole point of my post was to advise not to resize more than needed to just bump the shoulder and to measure from the case head to the shoulder datum line.

If you read my first post in this thread you would realize that yes I have verified how much the case stretches from the case head to the shoulder datum and in the case of two different rifles chambered for the 300 H&H and a particular lot of Rem brass it was .042" & .049".

Just in case you have not got it yet the whole idea of reloading the belted mags is to resize in such way that one does headspace from the shoulder.

Why do you post your opinions about something you have no experience?

You will need to illustrate to me where it is that your case is stretching, and verify the reason for it.

Have you ever verified your chamber headspace? If so, how much is it?

The gun mfgrs are aware that they have a generous allowance with the belted mags, concerning shoulder to chamber, and do utilize more shoulder to chamber than can be allowed with a non belted case. As far as I am aware, belted mags stretch rearward, during setback, not forward, in fireforming.

Now, there is no reason for you to continue to talk down to me, you are the one with the problem gun.

If it were my gun, and tightening the HS didn't cure it, I'd chuck it up in the lathe and rechamber to the 300 WM, or 300x8mm.

Chamber head space is correct.

I recently read an article in which the author's recommended sizing up one caliber for <span style="font-weight: bold">new</span> belted magnum brass and then neck sizing down to the correct dimension in small increments until the rifle's bolt would just close on said new brass and then primer, powder & bullet for first firing in attempt to control or limit the amount the case stretched.

I don't know what else to tell you. Believe what you will, my experience tells me different.
Please pardon me if you felt you were being talked down to.
Continue to believe what you will.

To the Op I apologize for hijacking your thread with this pointless discussion.

Yes, creating a "false shoulder" can help to reduce case stretching.

However, it is still going to blow the shoulder forward, with no stretching caused by the case moving forward (fireforming). All that this (the false shoulder) does is park the case head at the bolt face, so that there is no rearward movement of the case, which if there were, would cause stretching rearward, from above the belt near where the case head is not supported.

Your method for measuring case "movement", "forward", is not indicative of case stretching. If any data is near useless, it's that.

I say either your HS is too generous, or you are resizing too much, or both.

I neck size only.
The headspace is correct and you are wrong.

So tell me all knowing one, If the virgin case grows nearly .050" from case head to shoulder datum line after 1st fire what is it called?

Please tell us with your great wisdom your experience with belted mags?

On second thought you are correct, I retract all I have said.
Belted magnum cases only do what longshooter has said.
All of my belted magnum rifles have excessive head space.
Please disregard anything I have said.
The dimensional case head to shoulder difference of virgin brass vs fired brass is of no importance for as longshooter has said belted mags headspace off the belt.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the neck length getting shorter, during this fireforming. After all, the brass has to come from somewhere.