• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Lapua Magnum?

300wmSlick

Slick
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
I'm extremely new to the reloading side of precision rifles and have started getting everything set up to load for my 300 win mag and hopefully soon my 338 lapua magnum I recently picked up.
That being said, I know a lot of people are big on the 300 Norma, but why doesn't anyone do anything with the 300 Lapua? I searched through the threads on here and really couldn't find anything or any talk/mention of the 300 Lapua magnum.
Any help, tips, or advice would be much appreciated.

I'm extremely new to the reloading side of precision rifles and have started getting everything set up to load for my 300 win mag and hopefully soon my 338 lapua magnum I recently picked up.
That being said, I know a lot of people are big on the 300 Norma, but why doesn't anyone do anything with the 300 Lapua? I searched through the threads on here and really couldn't find anything or any talk/mention of the 300 Lapua magnum.
Any help, tips, or advice would be much appreciated.
The 300 Lapua is a CIP cartridge, but was never actually made for sale. I briefly considered doing one, but I think it’s too long for a 3.8” magazine. The Norma has proven itself well, and now Lapua is about to release brass for it (among others). No need for a 300 Lapua.

I have a 30-338 Lapua and 300 Norma. I’ve found that the 30-338 was much easier to tune and has a higher level of performance in the same barrel length. Oddly, brass is easier for the 30-338 at the moment since 338 Lapua is so plentiful. It does require some neck trimming and custom dies, so it’s not really for a beginner or for money savings.

@jmackey If/when I ever do one it will be after I burn out a barrel or two and won't just be starting out reloading. This was just more for academics. You brought up about how brass is so plentiful since the 338LM is so popular and that was one of the reasons why I wondered why I don't ever hear about it.
I'm glad to hear that it is as good performing as it seemed like it should be from what I had researched.
Thanks again for the first hand info.

I have a 30-338 Lapua and 300 Norma. I’ve found that the 30-338 was much easier to tune and has a higher level of performance in the same barrel length. Oddly, brass is easier for the 30-338 at the moment since 338 Lapua is so plentiful. It does require some neck trimming and custom dies, so it’s not really for a beginner or for money savings.
Hello I am new here on this site and was reading your earlier post about the 30-338 lupua and was wondering if you still have it and where I might find some ammo for that gun. I have the opportunity to purchase one but have been doing some research on it to learn more on it

I still shoot this caliber a fair amount. It’s not been as hard on barrels as I’d have guessed. You’re limited to making your own ammo for this gun. I have my own reamer and custom Whidden dies from that reamer. Cases are made by first necking down new 338 Lapua brass in a Hornady 30 cal magnum neck die, sizing in real FL die, then turning the necks to .011” or so. A final trim to length and full length resize yields a damn strong case that will outlast the barrel. I anneal between every step. It’s a big commitment for the performance over a 300 Norma or even the PRC. I made the investment several years ago before those were so available. It is an easy wildcat to tune and play with if you’d like to start down that road. You just need to figure in the $300 dies and $2.50 a case for brass as lost money, assuming you already have neck turning equipment and an annealer. I make 50 cases then toss them when I start with a new barrel. Probably 1000-1100 rounds or so between barrels.

Last edited:
Reactions: 300wmSlick
I still shoot this caliber a fair amount. It’s not been as hard on barrels as I’d have guessed. You’re limited to making your own ammo for this gun. I have my own reamer and custom Whidden dies from that reamer. Cases are made by first necking down new 338 Lapua brass in a Hornady 30 cal magnum neck die, sizing in real FL die, then turning the necks to .011” or so. A final trim to length and full length resize yields a damn strong case that will outlast the barrel. I anneal between every step. It’s a big commitment for the performance over a 300 Norma or even the PRC. I made the investment several years ago before those were so available. It is an easy wildcat to tune and play with if you’d like to start down that road. You just need to figure in the $300 dies and $2.50 a case for brass as lost money, assuming you already have neck turning equipment and an annealer. I make 50 cases then toss them when I start with a new barrel. Probably 1000-1100 rounds or so between barrels.
Ok that helps a lot but
Ok that helps a lot the reason I want this gun is it’s on a Mark V frame fluted barrel and composite stock plus a real nice nightforce scope and can get it for great price I believe it’s just Ammo worried me plus we drive trucks and gone a lot during the week was hoping maybe could find some ammunition to buy till I get leveled out and do my own my cousin has reloader and can teach me