• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Mag Ammo Choice

charlest49

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
NJ
Need some help with ammo selection for 300 mag.Will be mostly hunting deer out to 500 yards or so.Some of the ammo is $$$ some is reasonable.Is there that much of a difference.Dont know where to start.The gun is Rem milspec.Thanks for any help.

Re: 300 Mag Ammo Choice

The 300WM these days is not for the light of wallet and "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder!!! Quality ammo (Match, Hunting, etc.) can run upwards of $4/round as you probably have seen by now. If you are going to put many rounds down range with the 300WM, you have really got to start rolling your own. You get excellent accuracy, reliability, and a cost per round that is MUCH cheaper than buying factory.

That said, there is a difference in the "cheap" stuff versus the expensive stuff in terms of reliability, terminal ballistics, accuracy, etc., but all of these things will depend on your abilities as well as the preferences of your particular rifle.

If you can get your hands on the following, give them a try and see how each does for you. They are what I would call "reasonable" for high quality factory ammo, but they still ain't cheap:

1) Federal Fusion 180gr Sptz BT ($34/20 or $1.70/round);
2) Federal Premium Vital Shok 180gr Nosler Partition ($50/20 or $2.50/round);
3) Federal Premium Vital Shok 180gr Nosler Accu-bond ($50/20 or $2.50/round);
4) Remington Premier 180gr Accupoint BT ($40/20 or $2/round);
5) Winchester Super X 180gr PowerPoint ("the cheap stuff) at $27/20 or $1.35/round); and
6) Winchester Supreme Elite 180gr XP3 ($48/20 or $2.40/round).

These are all quality ammo choices that won't break the bank. Again, YMMV with accuracy, etc. for your rifle. I have a Sendero in 300WM and it seems to like all of the factory options I listed above with the exception of the Fusion which I have not shot yet. I mention it because of the lower cost and allegedly high performance of this ammo.