• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 NMI questions

Ranger188

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
I have one now and looking to get my next barrel.
I currently have a 1.35 shank, 30 inch HV HH (since HH changed hands, waiting on some feedback with new owner)
These are hard to come by. Not many carry them and the 1 year wait isn't ideal.
Would a 1.25 HV 30 inch be OK?
Pro's and con's of using the 1.25
What barrel maker is the best choice?

I seen that Bugholes has a 9tw 1.35 5R
My smith isn't to fond of the Bartleins.
Anyone shooting one have any problems or likes?
Been mostly a Krieger or HH guy.

Can't go wrong with Bartlein or Krieger. I'd take either on any given day. K&P and KS Arms are well known in the ELR community.

Any brand that Bugholes carries can get you a custom order barrel faster than if you ordered a barrel direct from any of those makers. Would love to know the reason why you are gunsmith doesn’t care for them?

Reactions: DIBBS
I just did a little research on K&P gun company.
Good and bad reviews on the time lines for delivery.
They want 50% down, worried about if he doesn't deliver in 6 mo or less, won't get deposit back.

He's mentioned, he doesn't like the way they cut their barrels and polishing them out.
Rarely see's them in the win column in Precision BR or F class long or short range.
Every smith has their favorites and dislikes.

He's mentioned, he doesn't like the way they cut their barrels and polishing them out.
Rarely see's them in the win column in Precision BR or F class long or short range.
No barrel maker polishes the inside of a barrel, they are generally lapped to a specific finish.

Geographically, you’ll find different barrel makers occupying the top spots in BR competition. No other barrel makers even comes close to dominating benchrest like Bartlein and Krieger do.

Here are the grand aggregate winners from the Pennsylvania state BR championships this past August. Funny, this is the second time this has come up in a week.
IMG_0971.jpeg

Reactions: Ranger188
Interesting, I know every smith has his or her preference but I have never heard or personally talked to a smith that disliked a Bartlein.

Bartlein and Krieger would be at the top of my list.

My reason for recommending K&P was because of excellent delivery times and those I have firsthand knowledge of having great results with them.

If 6 months for delivery is your drop dead delivery time your best bet would be to only order from someone who has it in stock.

I just used 6 months as an example. Delivery time not written in stone.

What about the 1.25 instead of the 1.35?

I think plenty of people shoot 300 NM\NMI on 1.25 barrels. We had a discussion about it in a 300 Norma thread in reloading, there really didn't seem to be a consensus. Personally, I wanted a 1.35 for my 300 Norma.

We've more or less become a conduit to K/P. I buy so much from Kenny anymore that he's just kind of defacto resorted to us for orders. It's nothing official though.

The tempo is about 3 weeks for anything off the grid. Just give us a call and we'll get you fixed up.

Then you have your perfect answer already.

This checks all of the boxes except your smith's personal preference.

Bartlien is top tier (Krieger is my default since the late 80's but I have chambered a little over 200 Bartleins with excellent results).
Getting this 1.35 OD removes any concerns you have about going smaller.
Good twist rate for the NM
Bugholes is a great business to deal with. Greg would not stock a brand or spec combination that is going to be less than stellar.
Frank Green / Bartlein Barrels is active on this forum and very responsive to questions or issues.
This blank can be on the way tomorrow.

Instead of typing more on this thread, I would suggest typing your info into the Bugholes web store and get your blank coming before that item goes to Zero available.

I just did a 300 norma improved 35 and used 1.25 barrels. When I was thinking I talked with multiple smith's about the bigger action and barrel ect. From the info I gathered was get an action with bigger threads and lugs that was #1 and the barrel I got the answer 1.25 is plenty. Just from what I found out from a lot of different smiths

My .300NM barrels are 1.25.

Still on the first one. I don't get the velocities others are posting, it seems to pressure our earlier than most others. Not sure if that's a function of it being 1.25, another feature of this specific barrel, or something else.

My .300NM barrels are 1.25.

Still on the first one. I don't get the velocities others are posting, it seems to pressure our earlier than most others. Not sure if that's a function of it being 1.25, another feature of this specific barrel, or something else.
The info I kind of gathered was more to do with actions not handling the pressure. I know Alex wheeler and Ryan peirce who have there own improved versions only build them on Borden bigfoot or bat hr/igniter.

With a 1.35 action, I would say a 1.25 blank is all you need. Savage runs a short 1.12 barrel nut tennon for the longer 338lm cartridge. I can't see 1.250 being a problem.

Sako has a lot of TRG-42 sniper rifles in circulation chambered in .338LM.
I believe their factory barrels are around 1.150" ish breech diameter and roughly 1.060" major diameter at the breech threads. Small shoulder against the receiver for sure.

Those barrels are very small diameter compared to what you are worrying about and they have had no safety or performance issues under field conditions.

I have maybe 40 to 50 .338LM and roughly 20 300NM in circulation with 1.250" breech diameters and no known issues.

Last edited:
I think your builder is confusing Bartlein with someone else.

Reactions: Terry Cross
My smith isn't to fond of the Bartleins.
Anyone shooting one have any problems or likes?
Been mostly a Krieger or HH guy.
Not too fond of Bartlein? That's a head scratcher. They plain shoot unless the 'smith screws up his job. Kriegers are also first rate...

Not too fond of Bartlein? That's a head scratcher. They plain shoot unless the 'smith screws up his job. Kriegers are also first rate...
I'd take a Hawkhill, Kreiger or Brux over a Bartlein every day the week and twice on Sunday. After their complete lack of accountability on my junk carbon, and 2 friends junk carbons, I'll never buy another.

I'd take a Hawkhill, Kreiger or Brux over a Bartlein every day the week and twice on Sunday. After their complete lack of accountability on my junk carbon, and 2 friends junk carbons, I'll never buy another.
You know your not the first person I've heard say this about bartlein. Recently heard smith's say they didn't like bartlein preferred other barrels which I found shocking. I'm about to try my first hawkhill with this 300 norma improved.

You know your not the first person I've heard say this about bartlein. Recently heard smith's say they didn't like bartlein preferred other barrels which I found shocking. I'm about to try my first hawkhill with this 300 norma improved.
You'll love the HH, I have 10 of them chambered, all hammer and clean very easily. I have been buying pretty much any HH blanks I find on several forums classifieds since they sold. Rumor from a good source, the Okie HH machinery is only going to be producing 6mm blanks for a while once they get up and running.

You'll love the HH, I have 10 of them chambered, all hammer and clean very easily. I have been buying pretty much any HH blanks I find on several forums classifieds since they sold. Rumor from a good source, the Okie HH machinery is only going to be producing 6mm blanks for a while once they get up and running.
Yeah sucks they sold. I finally grabbed one then they sold. I hope they keep same quality. But we will see.

Reactions: kthomas
I finally shot this hawkhill fireforming put 40ish rds then cleaned it. Never have i seen a barrel clean so fast and easy!!!

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I finally shot this hawkhill fireforming put 40ish rds then cleaned it. Never have i seen a barrel clean so fast and easy!!!
Yeah they seem to never grab any copper but just a little at the muzzle end.