• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma action question

idaho1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2011
North Idaho
I am wanting to verify from people with more knowledge and experience than me.... So I don't blow a wad of cash on the wrong parts....

Will the 300 Norma Magnum feed, function and generally work perfect in a standard long action with a .338 LM bolt face?
Specifically, I was going to buy a BAT HR long action.... I am concerned that I néed an XL action.

While on the subject, what barrel twist seems to be working the best for the Berger 230 hybrids?

Thanks for any feedback

No need for an XL action. A .300 Norma case is the same length as 7mm Remington Magnum. If you load a 230 gr Berger with the rear of the bearing surface at the shoulder/neck junction, your OAL will be just shy of 3.60".

I don't know what the "best" twist is but I have a barrel on order specifically for that bullet. I ordered a 9.5" twist.

Last edited:
IIRC the 338 Norma Mag (parent case of the 300NM) was specifically designed to cycle thru the Army's existing stock of long action M-24s, more than a few 300NM's have been built on LA Remmy's and Savages.

Last edited: