• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag and IMR 8133

Norcy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2019
New to the site although I constantly look for info on here. Any how does anybody have any info on IMR 8133 and the 300 Norma Mag? Any info would be appreciated.

I’m also interested in results with 8133. By all accounts it should be good. I’ve now heard of good results with VV N565 also, which is attainable at times.

I have ordered the 8133 and will post the results when they are available and I do have the N565 I believe so I will have to look the information up on it as well.

I’ve shot 8133 and N565 in my Norma Improved with 215 Berger’s. I hit harder pressure at 3150 with 8133 than I did with 565 at 3240. However, the nodes look good with 8133 and everything landed within an inch at 100. More testing to come.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, right now I have tested loads purely for pressure and have gone all the way up to 90gr of 8133 without any signs of pressure. I don't have any speeds yet, but like I said there is no signs of pressure.

I hit pressure in my improved chamber at 93 grains. Slight bolt lift so I stopped.

No pressure signs with mine as of yet but I think I will stop at the 90 grains. The group I shot was roughly 3/4” but I forgot my bipod and bags so I am sure it will be better than that. I am also shooting the 215 grain hunting bullets from Berger.

I’ve shot 8133 and N565 in my Norma Improved with 215 Berger’s. I hit harder pressure at 3150 with 8133 than I did with 565 at 3240. However, the nodes look good with 8133 and everything landed within an inch at 100. More testing to come.
Whats your barrel length?
Whats the fps at 93gr 8133?
Is this ryan pierce built?
Ty

It’s a 26” Proof, built by Ryan Pierce. 93 grains was 3152. Max load on N565 was 3242 I think.

Reactions: bjay
Heck Bjay, it doesn’t even seem to be reaching the mainland! I’m liking the case fill with 8133 and it’s availability. The velocity flat spot was only 40 fps slower than the lower flat spot with 565. I need to get some free time to shoot both to check groups and SD’s. I think both will work fine. I won’t chase 50-100 fps if I’m scared to shoot it because I can’t find powder!

I posted my findings on FB 300 Norma Mag Shooters under Nodnarb Trecked.

Reactions: Norcy
Heck Bjay, it doesn’t even seem to be reaching the mainland! I’m liking the case fill with 8133 and it’s availability. The velocity flat spot was only 40 fps slower than the lower flat spot with 565. I need to get some free time to shoot both to check groups and SD’s. I think both will work fine. I won’t chase 50-100 fps if I’m scared to shoot it because I can’t find powder!

Yup i think i made comment there.(bjay gambeng)
Ryan has plenty 570 and 565 lol
Whats your fill for 8133? I think our improved from ryan will start compressing around 94gr

Standard 300 Norma Mag. I think my loads will end up in the 89.5-90 grain mark.

Thanks Norcy,

Please update with Velocities and SD'S when you have finalized. I will be loading 8133 in my 300 norma, 28 nosler, and .338 Norma soon. Have loads for N570, but like others I can't locate any. Have loads for reloader 33, but didn't like what I saw when I did a temp stability test. 1.22 fps per degree of temp change. The N570 was .13 fps per degree of temp change.

Reactions: camotoe
Another vote for reloader 33

I've got a few pounds of N565 to try out in my 300 NM with 225 eldms.
Have you by chance tried it with anything heavier than 215s?
I've just started load development but so far it's looking like H1000 isn't going to get me over 2900 in my 26" barrel without pressure, same with Retumbo..
It's throated out too.

So I final had a chance to get some numbers for you all.
IMR 8133 89.5 grains
3008 FPS average
Berger 210 hunter bullets

The widest variance on speed was 25 FPS, the rest fell right in there around the 5-7 FPS mark.

The widest variance on speed was 25 FPS, the rest fell right in there around the 5-7 FPS mark.

I’m dialed in with my Norma Improved also. 91.5 grains under a 215 Hybrid at 3150 fps. CCI250 ‘s cut my SD’s down into the high single digits finally. Federal 215M’s wouldn’t cut the mustard. We found a nasty runout issue with the Custom Whidden dies, so I’m waiting for the custom dies from Hornady to get built for Ryan Pierce. I guess it must be an accurate gun when it shoots one hole with bullets with 5-8 thousandths of runout!

Last edited:
I will try the cci primers, that might be the trick to getting mine down as well. I will now start to play with the seating depth to see if the groups will tighten up as well. Thanks to everyone for the information and If you don't mind keep me informed on the progress of your 300 norma mags and other possible load data.

I’m about to load some 8133 in my 300 NM. Curious to hear what charge people are ending up with using the 230’s? Yes I’d love to try RL-33 but I don’t have any, don’t know anyone that has any and it’s not in stock anywhere. Just looking for a good place to start my load work up

I’m about to load some 8133 in my 300 NM. Curious to hear what charge people are ending up with using the 230’s? Yes I’d love to try RL-33 but I don’t have any, don’t know anyone that has any and it’s not in stock anywhere. Just looking for a good place to start my load work up
I ended up around 90 grains with 225's.
I'd start at 85 and work up.

Reactions: Rebelirons
Shooting one of Ryan's improved builds I'm at 89.5 of imr8133 and 3000fps with 230 atips. 0.3 moa at 200yds I took it up to 90.7 and 3120fps but had some heavy bolt lift. 90.3 to 90.5 was a good node at 3100 fps but intermittent heavy bolt lift. Next node down was at 3000 fps. i have some n565 on the way so I look forward to trying it with some berger 215s when Ryan has them in stock.

Reactions: Bigrederic
I am at 88.9 grains of 8133 in Lapua brass pushing 225 ELDM's at 3037 with single digit SDs. I need to go out and shoot some groups with it though. I inly have like 50 rounds through my rifle.